hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Ron Gordon difference

Interesting article in the eve news today re Gordon and Ross making long term plans for breaking in more youth into the first team and how, due to covid's 'different testing bubbles and protocols' this strategy hasn't been able to be actioned as planned.

I am confident we will take third and I think a big part of us getting there will be the players we've signed (Irvine and Cadden esp), the players we've not let go (Porteous, Nisbet) and the long term team building we've been able to do thanks to getting new contracts for our best and most promising players to sign on again (Newall, Boyle, Doig)

I think this has got to be put down to the Ron Gordon difference.

No way we would have done all this before RG.

I've was dubious when he game in, just because it was change and a big unknown, but so far, the guy has shown that he's willing to match the ambition of the fans and step up where his predecessors would have played it safe.

No doubt in my mind it's the main reason why we're having our best season in 15+ years.

(all while our manky neighbours are making a meal of getting out the league below us! - pleasing )

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    100% faith in Ron Gordon he has played a blinder so far in my eyes

Cautious to begin with but understandable in the circumstances

We are in good hands

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I read that article and again it made me realise how little insight the EEN / Scotsman have into our club. A few quotes from Jack they’ve tried to turn into an article but hardly any detail to go on.

They are awful journalists and I guess we keep them at arms length given their obvious Jambo bias.

I’m fully on board with Ron Gordon though.

It's a weird quirk of Scottish football. We need more investment in the game here but we can be instantly suspicious of anyone who wants to spend or invest money here.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. A healthy dose of scepticism can be a good thing. You only have to look at the situations at Hearts and Rangers respectively, when saviours were welcomed with open arms to see what damage someone with either nefarious intent or lacking a scooby can do.

I think it's become increasingly clear that Ron Gordon is here for the right reasons and has a pretty good idea of what he is doing. There is a lot of planning for the medium to long term and whilst there is ambition it is grounded in reality. No one is promising Champions League victories but a clear path to establishing ourselves as challengers at the right end of the league and in the latter stages of Cup competitions has been laid out.

I'm pretty optimistic we are on the right road and Ron Gordon seems to be a driving forced behind that.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I’m still suspicious why anyone who isn’t a Hibs fan would want to buy us, but the longer he’s been here the more my suspicion lessens.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m still suspicious why anyone who isn’t a Hibs fan would want to buy us, but the longer he’s been here the more my suspicion lessens.

Wait until it comes out that David Tanner is his secret financier.

Anyone able to paste the article it allowed ?

The thing is I actually don’t think Ron has got properly started yet.

With all the Covid stuff and changes we have done well to keep players and add a few but I think we are still short up front for example and if we get into Europe we may need more depth.

But I am excited to see improvements to ER and other areas of the club.

Interested to see who replaces LD as that’s been 4 months now since she said she was leaving and other staff have changed.

The importance of Europe and 3rd can’t be overlooked as it will really help season tickets and possibly even get Ron to improve ER before these games take place. Though the pitch would need improved as plying more games on it will affect the quality.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Wait until it comes out that David Tanner is his secret financier.
    Noooooooo !

Testimonial Due
    He's a football fan from Peru of Scottish origin who built up a multi million media company in the US for Latinos. Looks like a great mix.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Since the AGM, I’ve been hugely optimistic for Hibs under Ron Gordon.

Everything he said and laid out was ambitious and, crucially, sustainable. He wasn’t looking for a flash in the pan, throw money at it and hope it works, solution.

Everything was about growth and getting the most out of what we have.

For me, he’s a football fan and a businessman who wants to make money out of doing something he loves. To make money at Hibs, he’ll need us to be successful - there’s a vested interest in making sure we are better than we are today.

Stark contrast to STF, who was never in it to make money at Hibs. He just wanted us to be sustainable long term and he achieved that before selling us. He might have made some money on the deal but it won’t have been much, relatively.

I like what Ron has done so far, and I think we’ll see things accelerate when Dempster’s replacement is appointed and fans get back into the stadium.

Genuinely feel that we’re going to be in for some great times.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Hibs already planning for next season as Jack Ross reveals Ron Gordon talks

Hibs are plotting a prolonged period in the higher echelons of the Scottish game and they have devised a strategy that they believe will allow them to do that by advancing more young players into the first team.

By Moira Gordon
    Friday, 5th March 2021, 7:00 am

The success of Josh Doig has illustrated the rewards for promoting from within and, laying out a strategy that would leave room in the first team squad for other youngsters to move into and prove themselves, discussions about next term are already well under way between owner Ron Gordon and the football staff.

Discussing the best way to bolster the squad as they look to build on this season’s achievements, manager Jack Ross revealed that primary focus has been on identifying areas of the team which require strengthening rather than simply rubber-stamping a budget.

“We have already had dialogue and meetings about what we might need to do in terms of the squad and that depends on who we may lose and who we might not lose and what areas of the team we would need to strengthen in both scenarios.”

When the chairman addressed the AGM and the media before the full impact of the Covid 19 pandemic was understood, the Peru-born, American-based businessman spoke of increasing turnover by 50% by 2023 and 100% by 2025.

Stating his desire to see the club compete regularly in Europe he also said that he would double the player budget by 2023.

The ambition remains. The timeline has shifted slightly on certain goals but, having invested money in the squad this term, in the summer and again in January, Gordon seems keen to maintain that forward momentum and plan ahead rather than simply firefight.

While transfer fees for under-contract stars could help finance any summer spending spree, if the suitors who pursued the likes of Kevin Nisbet and Ryan Porteous in January resurface during the next transfer window, the squad budget could also be affected by where the club end the league season, if they secure European football, and at what level and at what stage they enter the Uefa competitions.

But according to Ross those differing scenarios have not been overtly aligned with specific budgets.

“None of those discussions have been based on where we finish positionally. They have all been about what we need to do regarding specifics of the squad. I think we are actually in a fairly stable place.”

Much of that is down to the work done throughout the season to extend contracts and although there are no certainties in football it gives Ross a far clearer picture of who he has to work with and what deficiencies need addressed.

A lot of work has gone into helping the club chase greater consistency and continuity, in terms of achievable ambitions and personnel, there is the parallel desire to keep evolving.

Both Gordon and Ross have made no secret of their intention to mould the Easter Road club into a more regular top three finisher in the Premiership, as well as challenging for silverware each season. They are also striving to become more dependable European competitors.

But in laying out short-term goals, Ross says they also want to be proactive in offering aspiring and talented youngsters a route through the ranks.

That colours his opinion on the size of his squad and his willingness to focus on quality over quantity when reaching out this summer.

“I prefer the numbers we have worked with this year. But we will probably have to look at underpinning that a bit more with development squad players. That has been part of the discussion. The only reason we were left a little light at times this season was down to circumstances, because we haven’t been able to dip into the development squad at short notice.”

Different testing bubbles and protocols have proved restrictive but Ross wants to make sure that when those barriers come down, there is enough talent available to offer his first team squad the necessary support.

“In my discussion with Ron we have spoken about making that group as strong as possible, either by working with those who have come through the ranks internally or by recruiting externally to bolster that group. That will provide them with better development possibilities and help to underpin the first team.”

When Hibs last finished third, in 2004/05, Tony Mowbray’s squad comprised an array of youthful prospects. Along with the performances of both Josh Doig and Steven Bradley this term, Ross says that proves that club’s can enjoy success with a blend of youth and experience.

“Everybody talks about bringing kids through, everyone loves that ideology, but you need room in your first team squad for it to happen. If the squad is too big it blocks the pathway and I don’t want us to just talk about it, I want us to back up all the nice words with action.

“But we have to do it in a way that means we are still successful and challenging at the top end of the league and consistently taking this club into Europe because that is where a club like Hibs should be.”

Back in February last year, when Gordon was talking of boosting player budgets, he was just as clear on his ambitions.

"We want to be in the top four and compete in every competition,” he said. "Being in Europe on a consistent basis is a very significant aspiration but not out of the realm of possibility.

"We have a long way to go because Aberdeen has a substantially higher budget and turnover, the same with Hearts. But we need to move up that ladder.”

At the time he described it as an ambitious goal and the pandemic has probably cranked up the difficulty level. But that hasn’t stopped Gordon and Ross putting their plans in place.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Anyone able to paste the article it allowed ?

The thing is I actually don’t think Ron has got properly started yet.

With all the Covid stuff and changes we have done well to keep players and add a few but I think we are still short up front for example and if we get into Europe we may need more depth.

But I am excited to see improvements to ER and other areas of the club.

Interested to see who replaces LD as that’s been 4 months now since she said she was leaving and other staff have changed.

The importance of Europe and 3rd can’t be overlooked as it will really help season tickets and possibly even get Ron to improve ER before these games take place. Though the pitch would need improved as plying more games on it will affect the quality.
    Excited for the improvements at ER

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Absolutely no complaints from me so far regarding Ron Gordon. I like the way he comes across, he has clear enthusiasm for the club, it’s history, heritage, and community.

shame the exciting plans outlined at last years AGM have been disrupted/postponed but we’ll get there.

crucial that 3rd place is achieved to keep season ticket levels up

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The proof of the pudding will be in the financials, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Certainly not for the time being.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I’d imagine they’ll be pretty terrible

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I don't know if I expected us to be battling for third and that's given us a "feel good" feeling about the season.

I do wonder if we manage to be battling for third in seasons ahead if the fanbase will begin to expect more. It doesn't take a big investment in Scottish football to find yourself in third or fourth, but second would require so much investment that it's not viable. How we'd handle that would be interesting to see.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I’d imagine they’ll be pretty terrible
    I'd think so - we can't praise Ron for backing the manager then criticise him if (when) the financial results are iffy - especially under the current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I don't know if I expected us to be battling for third and that's given us a "feel good" feeling about the season.

I do wonder if we manage to be battling for third in seasons ahead if the fanbase will begin to expect more. It doesn't take a big investment in Scottish football to find yourself in third or fourth, but second would require so much investment that it's not viable. How we'd handle that would be interesting to see.
    Unless you're Hearts.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Unless you're Hearts.

On a serious note, it also goes to show how important it is to get every penny working for you. Aberdeen have been guilty of splashing the cash needlessly in recent years (Hernandez, May, McGouch, Ojo) and now they may not finish third for another season when really, they should be clear and dry in third. Hearts have just thrown money at any problem and hoped it'd go away.

What we've done under Ron is spend money wisely. Spent a few hundred grand on Nisbet in the summer, had offers for millions in the winter. Spent money on Cadden which not only gives us a good wingback, but allows us to play Boyle up front in a more effective manner. Magennis may not have been able to show what he can do so far, but on a five year deal there's not a time pressure and if he turns out as good as we know he can, then we've won a prize.

I don't see much wasted money at all from Ron so far. It'll serve us well.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Not read it read yet.

I also understand that a review was scheduled to look at the lessons learned after being dumped out both cups. Something that was put as would that have happened in the previous regime?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Unless you're Hearts.
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    We’re on the crest of a wave now, but the real challenge and insight will be when we either plateau or appoint the wrong manager/sell key players.

In much the same way I’ve tempered, to a degree, my praise of Petrie spending the unexpected windfall from the golden generation on the stadium and training centre. I think Ron has also done the easy things, revamping an underperforming and conservative commercial department and spending on quality and not quantity during a pandemic, and done those “easy” things very well may I add. It’s how he can keep the upward curve going in the mid term I’m curious and excited to see where we are in 5/10 years time.

I’ve been a fan of him since the second he walked through the door.

Everything he has said, done or even how he has acted has been good and impressive Imo.

He doesn’t come across like some know it all or appear all flash or someone that wants it all to be about them (like the Aberdeen owner).

Unlike others on here, I don’t want the owner of my club being in the press or doing interviews every other week.

Interesting what they’re saying about youth players.

I can 100% see us going down the route of recruiting more 18/19 year olds from other clubs and taking a gamble on them excelling like Doig has.

There’s plenty of good players that have broke through in the SPFL recently;

Josh Doig
    Aaron Hickey
    James Scott
    Ali McCann
    Alan Campbell
    David Turnbull
    Lewis Ferguson

Etc etc

I think if we can sign players like that at an early stage it will stand us in good stead. Something I think Brentford? Do and have had a lot of success from.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    At this point I have no real opinion on his time with the club so far, I just don't see what if any difference his ownership has made. On one hand his talk about the future plans for the team and stadium sound promising but until they come into fruition its just talk. There has been some credit given on the spending on the team so far but as far as I can see we have been spending similar amounts of money prior to his arrival, just with varying success. The one thing I dont like is the constant spam of sponsors, ****ty apps and partnerships that come across on emails and social media, I understand why but I just dont like it.

Our club is in good hands

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    At this point I have no real opinion on his time with the club so far, I just don't see what if any difference his ownership has made. On one hand his talk about the future plans for the team and stadium sound promising but until they come into fruition its just talk. There has been some credit given on the spending on the team so far but as far as I can see we have been spending similar amounts of money prior to his arrival, just with varying success. The one thing I dont like is the constant spam of sponsors, ****ty apps and partnerships that come across on emails and social media, I understand why but I just dont like it.
    There always one moan 😂😉

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    We all know that times are hard during the Pandemic funds are low and hard decisions have had to be made with reduced income streams

I wonder if Ron has had to pump funds in to keep the place going or to help fund purchases to bring players in ?

Just a thought

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    We all know that times are hard during the Pandemic funds are low and hard decisions have had to be made with reduced income streams

I wonder if Ron has had to pump funds in to keep the place going or to help fund purchases to bring players in ?

Just a thought

Thousands of us have pumped in funds as well.

We will see what the numbers will look like come the end of the financial year but they will likely be pretty awful.

Don’t be surprised if progress on Ron’s vision for the club is delayed... but I think the direction of travel is very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    At a time when Scottish football is in financial difficulties, we've spent money on adding players of the calibre of Nisbet, Cadden and Irvine and the potential of Magennis.

That is evidence of Gordon making a positive difference because the previous ownership of Farmer and Petrie wouldn't have sanctioned such spending given the circumstances and I wouldn't blame them for that caution.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.