hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Graeme Spiers podcast on hibs

I've not listened to it but it popped up on twitter.

🎧My new podcast:

“Irvine Welsh could never be a Jambo...he just doesn’t have that worldview.”

This was a fun and fascinating discussion on the ‘cultural identity’ of Hibs FC with @SimonPia1 and @CL0762 of @HFCTalk.

Subscribe/listen here:

https://t.co/IKjJpTzmxw

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I might have a listen this weekend. It'll be interesting to what Pia's saying now that STF/RP are away.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might have a listen this weekend. It'll be interesting to what Pia's saying now that STF/RP are away.
    He is probably the reason I might not listen to it find a lot of his opinions unnecessarily vitriolic towards the club.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He is probably the reason I might not listen to it find a lot of his opinions unnecessarily vitriolic towards the club.
    Same.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Same here

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    That's one of the only reasons I might listen (since there are also the bangers & .net podcasts on the go) - to see if he's changed his tune now that Ron's the boss.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont listen to many podcasts, i could count the amount i've listened to on one hand. I have thought about listening to some of these new Hibs one's that are popping up, but i don't seem to have the time.

Like others have said, i'm put off listening because of the guest, although it might be interesting to hear if he has a beef with this owner, or is it just any owner that's not him and his mates?

I will probably just wait and get any information here.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    or is it just any owner that's not him and his mates?
    He hasnt tweeted about Ron since he bought us - when he (along with some of his daftie pals) had the tinfoil hats out regarding the owners motives..............

Seems like you have to join patreon to listen. Too much effort just to hear what Pia is on about so I won't bother.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Not ITK but in some random pub conversation I did hear it suggested that Simon Pia had accepted he had been wrong when Ron Gordon was able to buy the club and HSL (now more commonly simply Hibs Supporters) was unable to gain that safety net of 26% shares.

I think he may have had some justification in his personal issue with STF but allowed that to taint his views towards everything to do with the running of the club generally.

Perhaps it’s time to give him a listen and see if he is back in the “real” world of Hibernian FC

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It’s behind a paywall, and while I quite enjoy Graeme Spiers’ media, I stopped short of paying for his podcast. A Hibs themed one may have tempted me but absolutely not one with Simon Pia’s slavering.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Not ITK but in some random pub conversation I did hear it suggested that Simon Pia had accepted he had been wrong when Ron Gordon was able to buy the club and HSL (now more commonly simply Hibs Supporters) was unable to gain that safety net of 26% shares.

I think he may have had some justification in his personal issue with STF but allowed that to taint his views towards everything to do with the running of the club generally.

Perhaps it’s time to give him a listen and see if he is back in the “real” world of Hibernian FC
    i can’t really recall anything justified towards STF but perhaps justified grievances were overshadowed some of the deranged nonsense he and his pals came out with.

I was delighted when LD put him back in his box.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    i can’t really recall anything justified towards STF but perhaps justified grievances were overshadowed some of the deranged nonsense he and his pals came out with.

Yes it was a deranged bunch of Trumpian conspiracy stories that did not stand up to financial analysis. STF may have been tight with the money but he did so much to save and rebuild the club. Not many non football fans would gamble their money against the Old Firm.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I dont listen to many podcasts, i could count the amount i've listened to on one hand. I have thought about listening to some of these new Hibs one's that are popping up, but i don't seem to have the time.

Like others have said, i'm put off listening because of the guest, although it might be interesting to hear if he has a beef with this owner, or is it just any owner that's not him and his mates?

Taking my own one out of the equation, there are a couple of Hibs podcasts that are worth your time, if you can find it - Down the Slope and Hibs Talk are ones that I'd definitely recommend.

The podcast The Terrace is great for an overview of all of Scottish football.
    New podcasts on Monday and Thursday each week. Well informed and balanced. They are usually about the hour mark. I download them and listen on the dog walk. Involves a combination of the guys on the associated telly programme and another handful of guys including a couple of Hibs supporters.
    Unlike the telly programme it doesn't try too hard which makes it much better.
    N.B. Avoid the extra 30 minute show they do most weeks. It is one of the guys plus Chris Iwelumu and CI is as dull as a dull thing that's just been dulled.

I started listening to Matty's Longbangers podcast/quickbangs a few times recently and the show with Calvin Charlton was really good and interesting. Matty is also very articulate and contributer and poster here Pedantic Hibees blogs are unmissable although he is currently giving them a rest.

Haven't listened to the other Hibs related podcasts fearing a lot of the uninteresting slavering that you get on here from the haters, the entitled and the blinded. Obviously there are lots of great posters on here as well and I read a fantastic post on the Sinclair Mackie thread started by Billy Whizz a couple of days ago. Made my day and is worth looking out if you didn't see it.
    Perhaps I should stop posting so much on here and try the podcasts instead. It would certainly be less time consuming.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Taking my own one out of the equation, there are a couple of Hibs podcasts that are worth your time, if you can find it - Down the Slops and Hibs Talk are ones that I'd definitely recommend.
    Is that a podcast about the catering?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is that a podcast about the catering?
    Oops - edited!!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It’s behind a paywall, and while I quite enjoy Graeme Spiers’ media, I stopped short of paying for his podcast. A Hibs themed one may have tempted me but absolutely not one with Simon Pia’s slavering.
    He strikes me as the kind of person that regularly Googles himself.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post

I am no apologist for Simon Pia and am totally with you on the outrageous behaviour and campaign against STF, Rod Petrie and the concept of HSL. In fact it felt at times as if it was a small but aggressive and intimidating group in a campaign against any Hibs fan not in agreement with them. I include myself amongst that group and am a fully paid up regular contributor to HSL

I have no idea if he has reflected on the damage his campaign did to the ambitions of HSL but was only reporting that I heard, in one of those random pub conversations with a stranger, that he had and regretted the way it affected HSL. If that was the case it does not erase the past but I think he deserves credit and surely it would go some way to mending bridges. We are all Hibs after all.

Coaching Staff
    Would have listened but the mere mention of Simon Pia being on any medium it means I'm out quite like Graham Spiers too, very good journalist.

Coaching Staff
    Taking my own one out of the equation, there are a couple of Hibs podcasts that are worth your time, if you can find it - Down the Slope and Hibs Talk are ones that I'd definitely recommend.
    Matty, do you or the others do live (YouTube) streaming (when games are played) ? Seems quite popular amongst fans and especially younger ones..........it would be quite good seeing podcasters live reactions to the game in full flow (might need swear filters ), describing the action and getting differing viewpoints as they happen.

Until recently the podcast world had largely passed me by and when my mates were talking about them all I wondered how they found the time to listen to them.

I think the main way is to listen to them whilst doing other things - taking the bus, driving, out running etc - and then you realise that you can actually passively take in quite a lot of them.

Some of them are really good, and at a time when it's impossible to dissect all issues Hibs with your mates in the pub, listening to other folk do just that really has scratched a particular itch for me over the past few months. I'm much more of a follower of the "fan with a voice" one over the polished, professional broadcaster ones, although each to their own.

When my partner needs to ask me "WTF is that you're listening to now?" , it's usually a good sign.

And it's nearly always Matty and co.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    I am no apologist for Simon Pia and am totally with you on the outrageous behaviour and campaign against STF, Rod Petrie and the concept of HSL. In fact it felt at times as if it was a small but aggressive and intimidating group in a campaign against any Hibs fan not in agreement with them. I include myself amongst that group and am a fully paid up regular contributor to HSL

I have no idea if he has reflected on the damage his campaign did to the ambitions of HSL but was only reporting that I heard, in one of those random pub conversations with a stranger, that he had and regretted the way it affected HSL. If that was the case it does not erase the past but I think he deserves credit and surely it would go some way to mending bridges. We are all Hibs after all.

Couldn’t give a **** what Simon Pia has to say. His behaviour and conspiracy-toting nonsense in the past has put me right off.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Couldn’t give a **** what Simon Pia has to say. His behaviour and conspiracy-toting nonsense in the past has put me right off.
    I’m with you on this one ....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Matty, do you or the others do live (YouTube) streaming (when games are played) ? Seems quite popular amongst fans and especially younger ones..........it would be quite good seeing podcasters live reactions to the game in full flow (might need swear filters ), describing the action and getting differing viewpoints as they happen.
    No, the closest we do is Quick Bang right after the game. I think the live commentary/reaction things are popular and we’ve had a few request for an alternative half time show (which we might still do) but I think I’d rather just watch the game and relax a bit (or try to!).

Our recording software lets us live stream the podcast as we record it, Hibs Talk do that already and it works well so we might try that at some point as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff
    No, the closest we do is Quick Bang right after the game. I think the live commentary/reaction things are popular and we’ve had a few request for an alternative half time show (which we might still do) but I think I’d rather just watch the game and relax a bit (or try to!).

Our recording software lets us live stream the podcast as we record it, Hibs Talk do that already and it works well so we might try that at some point as well.
    A half time reaction / full time show would be good be interesting to hear fans views rather than pundits

Coaching Staff
    Not sure how it would/could work with Covid, but for Hibs TV it might be an idea - and something the club could promote - that a few Hibs fans could be in the studio / ground and do half time / full time 'supporters views' - given fans can't attend games just now ??

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Not sure how it would/could work with Covid, but for Hibs TV it might be an idea - and something the club could promote - that a few Hibs fans could be in the studio / ground and do half time / full time 'supporters views' - given fans can't attend games just now ??
    They would have but not now. Apparently Irvine Welsh ruined it for everyone

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Fans who film themselves watching live games tend to go into acting mode in my view and seems to be more about attention seeking. Most I’ve seen are folk just making lots of loud noises for the benefit of their camera and YouTube channel.

The post match longbanger one hits the right tone with thoughts and opinion on the game viewed while the contributors are still pretty much in game mode and fresh in delight or misery.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Fans who film themselves watching live games tend to go into acting mode in my view and seems to be more about attention seeking. Most I’ve seen are folk just making lots of loud noises for the benefit of their camera and YouTube channel.

The post match longbanger one hits the right tone with thoughts and opinion on the game viewed while the contributors are still pretty much in game mode and fresh in delight or misery.
    Agreed. Live is a competition for attention - much like open all mics.

The instant post match quick bang is great.