hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

A solution to the new trend of flares etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaRGLdscYVY

Footy Adventures video from Friday - derby match between Breda and Willem II

Object on the pitch = players off for 15 minutes.

Further objects thrown = match abandoned and finished with no fans in attendance.

Would this work? Is it enough of a deterrent?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

2. Log in to remove the advert

Is it really such a problem? Lots of countries it seems to be common place at games without issue, not sure if I’m missing something though. It’s common indoors at European basketball games as well.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it really such a problem? Lots of countries it seems to be common place at games without issue, not sure if I’m missing something though. It’s common indoors at European basketball games as well.
    It triggers asthma attacks and in general can make it quite hard to breathe. I'd just ran to the top of the East to get seated before kick off on Saturday and I was struggling tbh.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Further objects thrown = match abandoned and finished with no fans in attendance.

Every time we're losing...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

It's not just about flares: it's about bottled and other objects too. From what I could gather the policy was brought in after a player was hit by a bottle.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Every time we're losing...
    Yep, 3-0 down to Celtic, get the flares on 😅

Cue the mayhem/violence that could cause if the game was a last one of the season, top 3 final chance ,or relegation battle.

Security/police need to be doing better before fans get into ground.
    God forbid some lunatic got in with something more dangerous.
    My grandson's jambo neighbour doubled up in the South on Saturday.
    Got in free .He said its the third time he has managed that at ER .
    Most of these, one day a week, security people are not really interested in getting into conflicts.
    So turn a blind eye to the nonsense around them.
    Police as usual are not re-active inside the ground .
    Most are sat in vans along ER side streets waiting on something to happen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Cue the mayhem/violence that could cause if the game was a last one of the season, top 3 final chance ,or relegation battle.

Most of these, one day a week, security people are not really interested in getting into conflicts.
    Can’t blame the stewards tbh much like I can’t blame the majority of people nowadays for not giving two hoots about their underpaid jobs.

I certainly wouldn’t be having a pop at drunk football fans for £9 an hour knowing what could potentially happen.

Rational people would be deterred by the fact that they are already unwelcome and that they have to sneak them in. Disrupting matches for everyone else will not deter the odd bam.

I get frustrated watching German football when a flare is chucked on when their own team is attacking. Where is the benefit to disrupting their own team's play?

Bams. Not rational people.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    What? throwing flares on the pitch (and basketball courts!!!!) is common in other countries???
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

I quite like pyro albeit the double standards around how they are dealt with annoys me. Both my daughter and I have asthma (me mild, her more severe) and we haven't had any issues. Admittedly we can't speak for every asthmatic person and the quantity currently seen at Scottish football games is minimal compared to elsewhere, if that increased then who knows.

There should be a zero tolerance approach to bottles etc being launched into the park. There's really no excuse for it and little in the way of mitigation.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Can’t blame the stewards tbh much like I can’t blame the majority of people nowadays for not giving two hoots about their underpaid jobs.

I certainly wouldn’t be having a pop at drunk football fans for £9 an hour knowing what could potentially happen.
    How much an hour would you want before you had a pop at a drunk ?
    Am not suggesting they confront a drunk,either .You said that.
    Is it only drunk people who cause bother at games ?
    Most stewards are maybe in real need of the wages they get. Am not arguing about that.
    But other than checking tickets and showing people their seat, tell me what else they are paid to do?
    They surely must witness away fans doubling up at turntstiles.
    They could tell a cop if its not their job to intervene or dont want to.

Maybe we should call them "ticket checkers" then and not "stadium security" And they obviously dont do that right either !

The criminal and anti social stuff should be dealt with by the polis.
    And they fail miserably inside Easter Road on big matchdays.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-04-2023 at 11:16 AM.

I've mentioned it before but when I went to see Houston Dynamo a few years ago they had a big oil drum type thing at the front of the section where their livelier fans congregated and they set the flares off in there.

Anyone whose breathing etc is affected would know to avoid that area and you still get much of the spectacle of the coloured smoke etc and along with their drums etc it looked and sounded great.

Not sure why we can't do something like that?

I guess the illicit nature of it is part of the appeal for those who let them off, and sanitising / legalising it might not stop them being hoyed around where they're not meant to be but it seemed an eminently sensible approach to me?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...-public-places

While there’s a difference between terrorism and folk throwing flares on the pitch I think the club and others are worried about the ramifications if someone was to be injured or died at Easter Road due to the behaviour of others

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...-public-places

While there’s a difference between terrorism and folk throwing flares on the pitch I think the club and others are worried about the ramifications if someone was to be injured or died at Easter Road due to the behaviour of others
    Indeed
    It is a worry .
    I was alluding to something awful like that in my first reply on the thread.
    Its getting far too easy to get in to the stadium with these objects,as well as ticketless fans gaining entry.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-04-2023 at 11:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Indeed
    It is a worry .
    I was alluding to something awful like that in my first reply on the thread.
    Its getting far too easy to get in to the stadium with these objects,as well as ticketless fans gaining entry.
    The woman who sits next to me is in her 70s. She was telling me she was stopped and they wanted to search her and her bag going into the west stand on sat. She replied that she was hardly the type to throw a flare and they don't come from the west anyway and refused the search 😂 made me laugh but she had a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The woman who sits next to me is in her 70s. She was telling me she was stopped and they wanted to search her and her bag going into the west stand on sat. She replied that she was hardly the type to throw a flare and they don't come from the west anyway and refused the search made me laugh but she had a point.
    She has a pretty fair point I get searched at just about every away game, never been searched in any meaningful way at ER, just a wee pat down before category A games. Never even been asked to empty my pockets not that I’d be hiding drugs, booze or pyro in my pockets if I did have them mind you, but at least try and look like you’re attempting to solve the problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The woman who sits next to me is in her 70s. She was telling me she was stopped and they wanted to search her and her bag going into the west stand on sat. She replied that she was hardly the type to throw a flare and they don't come from the west anyway and refused the search �� made me laugh but she had a point.
    Sums it up,really ��
    Searching pensioners handbags,looking for quarter bottles of gin/vodka,while drug addled bampots get in with smoke bombs and flares !
    Then block the WC at half time
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-04-2023 at 11:47 AM.

The people who throw these objects really lack the maturity to make sensible decisions

@hibs.net private member
    Misleading thread title. Had my old flares out of the back of the wardrobe and was posing like a good'un until the Mrs put me right. Deja vous all over again.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    How much an hour would you want before you had a pop at a drunk ?
    Am not suggesting they confront a drunk,either .You said that.
    Is it only drunk people who cause bother at games ?
    Most stewards are maybe in real need of the wages they get. Am not arguing about that.
    But other than checking tickets and showing people their seat, tell me what else they are paid to do?
    They surely must witness away fans doubling up at turntstiles.
    They could tell a cop if its not their job to intervene or dont want to.

Maybe we should call them "ticket checkers" then and not "stadium security" And they obviously dont do that right either !

The criminal and anti social stuff should be dealt with by the polis.
    And they fail miserably inside Easter Road on big matchdays.
    I agree, the wage isn’t really the issue, if you take the wage then you’ve an obligation to do the work. Do they need more stewards or manually operated turnstiles again?

The bigger issue is that without police being willing to intervene, stewards are powerless to actually do anything.

Re the police ,isn’t it that the home team have to pay for police inside the ground but don’t ( or not as much ) if they’re outside ?
    Think that’s why at lower catagagory games there none around the ground

Flares add to an electric atmosphere, but it might be worth bearing in mind that people can get injured. If injuring an adult is not seen as a deterrent, then young children can, and have been, injured by flares as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-fan-9-left-needing-25836924

AFC Telford United have condemned a section of their fans and revealed a nine-year-old boy was left needing hospital treatment after several flares were set off during a non-league game.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I agree, the wage isn’t really the issue, if you take the wage then you’ve an obligation to do the work. Do they need more stewards or manually operated turnstiles again?

The bigger issue is that without police being willing to intervene, stewards are powerless to actually do anything.

Thats a point. You'd really struggle to get through two at a time if there was somebody actually manning the turnstile.

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Reaper View Post
    Football in the 1970s?

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Football in the 1970s?
    😅

Quote Originally Posted by Green Reaper View Post
    Or 1-0 up with 5 mins to go but getting battered and down to 10 men. Flare on, regroup in the changing room, Manager sorts the team set up, bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Misleading thread title. Had my old flares out of the back of the wardrobe and was posing like a good'un until the Mrs put me right. Deja vous all over again.
    Aye, we need more drainpipes at ER to deal with flares. And no bags allowed.

I quite like pyros etc.
    At matches abroad they are very common but here’s the real issue….. the relationship we have with alcohol.
    Getting pissed and add in flares is a bad combo. There is not the severe alcohol element at matches across Europe that’s why they allow bevvy in the stadium.
    People need to own their own problem. It’s not really necessary to be blind drunk at the Fitba is it?

Stopped taking my flares to games in the late 70s went out of fashion😁
    Hopefully the current trend will go the same way.Full body searches would be required. Have also witnessed people smuggling booze into games, you would have to have police rather than G4S security at the turnstiles.