hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

L1/L2 and Scottish Cup resumption thread

They're being allowed to train again. Looks like we're setting up for potentially resuming the leagues and Cup.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're being allowed to train again. Looks like we're setting up for potentially resuming the leagues and Cup.
    I’m wondering how they’re going to fit Scottish cup ties in, league 1 & 2 still have a lot of games to get through in their league & ties that should’ve been played in January are still to happen.

Wonder if this’ll be finished off next season again

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I’m wondering how they’re going to fit Scottish cup ties in, league 1 & 2 still have a lot of games to get through in their league & ties that should’ve been played in January are still to happen.

Wonder if this’ll be finished off next season again
    The lower league season could play every midweek and through to the end of May I guess

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Is the plan just to play each other twice in a shortened season?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Is the plan just to play each other twice in a shortened season?
    No details yet, I’d imagine if it’s an immediate return to training they’ll be looking at 3/4 weeks before games. No chance some teams can play 19 league games, and I’d imagine the cup will take precedence.

Still baffling that they never played the first two qualifying and three proper rounds of the cup over 2/3 weeks when they first started back up so that it was mainly down to the professional full time clubs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post

We’re in it to win it!

I can’t see past Rangers winning it but it’s another chance of silverware for us. Bring on QOTS!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Yaaaaaas let's go

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    We’re in it to win it!
    Got to be said our draw appears to now be trickier given Queens upturn in form.

Hopefully no attempt to play our tie in international break.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    There’s probably no reason why the likes of Queen of the. South v Hibs, and other ties that aren’t relying on replays etc, to take place
    Premiership teams are all free on the weekend of 3rd/4th April, and the week after, which are free for semi finals
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 02-03-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    More importantly the SWPL 1 is allowed back also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Without trying to sound dickish, why is that more important that our Scottish cup getting the green light to start again?

Left by mutual consent!
    Difficult to get excited about this.

I want a holiday and pub.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Without trying to sound dickish, why is that more important that our Scottish cup getting the green light to start again?
    A whole group of players being allowed to train at last, is more important than a cup. Just my opinion of course.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    I'm not sure if I see the point in trying to resume the Scottish cup unless they're going to be playing ties midweek throughout April and even if they did that I'd suspect they might not get the Semi Finals completed before the originally scheduled date for the final. At that point, I'd have to assume that due to Hampden being prepped for the EUROs if they were supposed to play the Semis post May 8th, they'd have to be at other neutral grounds

Even if L1/L2 teams resumed training next week, they still need 3/4 weeks before they can return to competitive action, so it's end of March/start of April before they play any games.

I think it's just too much of a hassle and they should just say the Scottish Cup will not be awarded for season 2020-21 due to COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    I'm not sure if I see the point in trying to resume the Scottish cup unless they're going to be playing ties midweek throughout April and even if they did that I'd suspect they might not get the Semi Finals completed before the originally scheduled date for the final. At that point, I'd have to assume that due to Hampden being prepped for the EUROs if they were supposed to play the Semis post May 8th, they'd have to be at other neutral grounds

Even if L1/L2 teams resumed training next week, they still need 3/4 weeks before they can return to competitive action, so it's end of March/start of April before they play any games.

I think it's just too much of a hassle and they should just say the Scottish Cup will not be awarded for season 2020-21 due to COVID-19
    Can’t see that being done. Too much money through TV, sponsorships etc. Smaller clubs can’t afford to hand money back to TV broadcasters for a null and void competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post

You could always start another thread about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post

All lower league teams were told they would get 2 weeks lead in time before games would start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56263096

L1 & L2 clubs talking about cancelling the league this season. They may decide to forfeit the cup also if testing costs are prohibitive.

Seemed a strange one at first but thought that maybe with the SC grant, Mr Anderson £50k, LC money and furlough extended it's in their interests to do this until fans are allowed back.

I'm not saying they will have made a profit from it, Falkirk & Partick will be big losers I'm sure but some clubs may be doing ok with a lot of their costs covered. I cant see many turning over £1m normally with the costs associated to make that money.

Does the starting of the Scottish cup have implications for our European ambitions? My understanding is that if we finish 3rd and the SC is not played we actually benefit? Unless we went on to win the cup of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    Does the starting of the Scottish cup have implications for our European ambitions? My understanding is that if we finish 3rd and the SC is not played we actually benefit? Unless we went on to win the cup of course.
    I’d be surprised if the Scottish Cup will be completed, before Europe starts ,unless the final is played in July

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    If the SC is played in time and the winner is not either of the OF then 3rd loses that place in the EL (and subsequent auto ECL group stages) for the ECL 2r qualifying

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’d be surprised if the Scottish Cup will be completed, before Europe starts ,unless the final is played in July
    I think they will want to get to semi final stage then carry over as per this season to when much greater possibility of fans allowed back.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think they will want to get to semi final stage then carry over as per this season to when much greater possibility of fans allowed back.
    Makes sense Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Not sure for definite but I’d presume there is a cut off point of handing entrants to UEFA, July sounds very late.

Not sure for definite but I’d presume there is a cut off point of handing entrants to UEFA, July sounds very late.
    It won’t just be Scotland though

This season's deadline was 3rd August 2020.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That is my view too and I hope that means 3rd in the league gets the better Euro place.

@hibs.net private member