hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2030 World Cup

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

2030 World Cup

Joint statement has just been issued by Scotland, Wales, England, NI & Ireland FA’s.

“The football associations and government partners of the UK and Ireland are delighted that the UK government has committed to support a prospective five association bid for the 2030 FIFA World Cup. We will continue to undertake feasibility work to assess the viability of a bid before FIFA formally open the process in 2022. Staging a FIFA World Cup would provide an incredible opportunity to deliver tangible benefits for our nations. If a decision is made to bid for the event, we look forward to presenting our hosting proposals to FIFA and the wider global football community.”

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Would be great. Hope it happens. Get the big brown envelopes on order Boris.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Interesting timing. Is this the usual time to be deciding this decision?

Left by mutual consent!
    Would be good, however we all know how FIFA work.

Brown envelopes and all that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be good, however we all know how FIFA work.

Brown envelopes and all that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    That’s cool, that’s how the current UK government works too 😉

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Would that mean 5 teams qualifying for the tournament automatically?

Cant see many countries voting for that

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Hampden would require a 3 sided rebuild to be part of a World Cup. Probably easier just to do a complete demolish and start from scratch on what is a big site. Could build anything they liked on it. Celtic Park probably not up to standard either with an antiquated old main stand. Ibrox probably the only stadium that would be close to being acceptable.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Hampden would require a 3 sided rebuild to be part of a World Cup. Probably easier just to do a complete demolish and start from scratch on what is a big site. Could build anything they liked on it. Celtic Park probably not up to standard either with an antiquated old main stand. Ibrox probably the only stadium that would be close to being acceptable.
    Or Murrayfield?...

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Murrayfield would be more than adequate!

Think its laughable to have it over 5 countries. 5 countries qualifying automatically is ridiculous. Probably would prefer it just to be in England. Say what you like about them but their stadiums are as good as any in the world. London alone could host it.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Think its laughable to have it over 5 countries. 5 countries qualifying automatically is ridiculous.
    By 2030 FIFA will have expanded it to 256 teams in order to rinse every tv market on the planet. Problem solved.

Time to fill in the corners and get a 3rd tier on the West 😁😁

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Think its laughable to have it over 5 countries. 5 countries qualifying automatically is ridiculous. Probably would prefer it just to be in England. Say what you like about them but their stadiums are as good as any in the world. London alone could host it.
    Im not sure 5 countries would qualify automatically. The 2026 World Cup is being held in the US, Canada and Mexico and they are still arguing the toss over automatic qualification. I presume the plan will be for another 48 team tournament as being introduced in 2026 which is getting a bit big for a single country to stage.
    Personally having been to the World Cup in France in 1998 and the Euros in in Belgium and Holland in 2000 I prefer to travel and the World Cup be held elsewhere.
    I believe Spain and Portugal are considering a joint bid. I'd prefer that myself.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Doubt if Ireland and Norniron will be separate countries by then, so it's probably only 4.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Doubt if Ireland and Norniron will be separate countries by then, so it's probably only 4.
    We could have a joint UK team.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

We could play in a snazzy green blue red and white kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    We could play in a snazzy green blue red and white kit.
    You're marginalising the Prods. GTF.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Stand by to repel boarders!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Im not sure 5 countries would qualify automatically. The 2026 World Cup is being held in the US, Canada and Mexico and they are still arguing the toss over automatic qualification. I presume the plan will be for another 48 team tournament as being introduced in 2026 which is getting a bit big for a single country to stage.
    Personally having been to the World Cup in France in 1998 and the Euros in in Belgium and Holland in 2000 I prefer to travel and the World Cup be held elsewhere.
    I believe Spain and Portugal are considering a joint bid. I'd prefer that myself.
    Id prefer Scotland were guaranteed a place and the UK and Scottish economy got a massive boost, a generation of Scottish kids got to see Scotland play meaningful games and the country got a feel good factor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Id prefer Scotland were guaranteed a place and the UK and Scottish economy got a massive boost, a generation of Scottish kids got to see Scotland play meaningful games and the country got a feel good factor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I get that, its just my own preference.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Surely plenty people on here will be hoping for fairly obvious reasons that Scotland may well not be eligible by then to be part of a joint UK bid !

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Surely plenty people on here will be hoping for fairly obvious reasons that Scotland may well not be eligible by then to be part of a joint UK bid !
    It's not a UK bid, though. ROI are included.

And, to be pedantic, it's the FA's of each country that apply. There are currently 5 involved, so that would remain (disclaimer. LH's point about Ireland might apply)

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I don’t see why England need any partners in a bid. They must be due to host it again and after the shambles of their previous bid they’d probably have a very good chance of getting it. Seems like a political decision rather than a football decision. Travelling down south would be better anyway.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It seems incredible that the World Cup hasn’t returned England since 1966, given the footballing tradition etc. The five nation joint proposal seems ridiculous though. A joint Scottish -English bid may have been more sensible in terms of logistics.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Not just the stadiums though. Theyll need specifically sized stadia, hotels, airports, training and medical facilities. Decent transport etc. Only 16 teams the last time they held it. Unlikely Manchester and Liverpool Birmingham would use both sites etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Would probably be decent for our economy up here, from a selfish POV I’d always rather an ‘away’ tournament.

Wales would only have the Millenium stadium*, Cardiff city stadium would need capacity increased and Liberty stadium would need redone as its capacity would need doubled.

Scotland would have Murrayfield*, Hampden, Ibrox and Celtic park*.

Ireland would have Croke park* and the Aviva.

England obviously have far more - 11 in total with 5 of over 60k.

60k is the threshold for quarter finals onwards. * denotes those stadiums. Just don’t see why England wouldn’t go it alone other than political reasons as the UKGov have already fired money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Not just the stadiums though. Theyll need specifically sized stadia, hotels, airports, training and medical facilities. Decent transport etc. Only 16 teams the last time they held it. Unlikely Manchester and Liverpool Birmingham would use both sites etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

They did bit to host it in 2018, though right and I'm sure very few stadiums weren't suitable then. They could easily do it. Cant imagine their facilties would need too much upgrading.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 02-03-2021 at 12:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It seems incredible that the World Cup hasn’t returned England since 1966, given the footballing tradition etc. The five nation joint proposal seems ridiculous though. A joint Scottish -English bid may have been more sensible in terms of logistics.
    Agreed - auld enemy or no they are superbly equipped to host a WC and would be deserving recipients having contributed plenty to the sport over the years.

Considering the above and that Italy, France, Brazil, Mexico, Germany and USA will all have hosted the tourny twice by 2030 you've got to consider that maybe FIFA just don't like them very much. Can't think why

They did bit to host it in 2018, though right and I'm sure very few stadiums weren't suitable then. They could easily do it. Cant imagine their facilties would need too much upgrading.
    Especially with the Olympic stadium now fully transformed into a football stadium, Stamford bridge going to get an upgrade, the new Tottenham stadium, Anfield’s upgrade, and the new Everton stadium. They’ll be in a far better position by 2030 stadia wise than they’ve ever been previously.

Clubs opening new training centres all the time would also put them in a far better position.

Why invite Ireland to be part of it