hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

A classic lesson in playing on a muddy winter pitch

There has been a good deal of talk about the state of the pitch at ER and at other grounds in Scotland this winter and the need to sometimes play a more agricultural style of football. Well I came across this classic from the 1969/70 season that shows just how much good football can still be played in horrific conditions. This is an absolute gem. A pitch that looks like a quagmire. Two teams determine to pass the ball. Stunning diving headers and volleys from Geoff Hurst, slick fleet footed finishes from Jimmy Greaves, volleys from the half way line and proper old fashioned sliding tackles. There’s even a helmeted policeman trying to do keep uppys. Absolutely stunning stuff and guaranteed to lift your lockdown soul. https://youtu.be/cB8Csr1W29I

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There has been a good deal of talk about the state of the pitch at ER and at other grounds in Scotland this winter and the need to sometimes play a more agricultural style of football. Well I came across this classic from the 1969/70 season that shows just how much good football can still be played in horrific conditions. This is an absolute gem. A pitch that looks like a quagmire. Two teams determine to pass the ball. Stunning diving headers and volleys from Geoff Hurst, slick fleet footed finishes from Jimmy Greaves, volleys from the half way line and proper old fashioned sliding tackles. There’s even a helmeted policeman trying to do keep uppys. Absolutely stunning stuff and guaranteed to lift your lockdown soul. https://youtu.be/cB8Csr1W29I
    This match appeared in my YouTube in tray last week what a belter

Pretty sure this was Jimmy Greaves’ debut for West Ham

What a player and what a goalscoring record P 566 scored 386 played 57 for England scored 44

As you say amazing how they keep trying to play football in the conditions

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    A different time.

Our pitch this season is an absolute shocker though.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    A different time.

Our pitch this season is an absolute shocker though.
    If you look closely you'll probably be able to see the groundsman crying at the side of the pitch.

That’s great footage, thanks

The most obvious difference between now and ‘when I were a lad’ is boys football. Over the winter about half my sons games are usually postponed for some minor weather reason, sometimes it seems like they’re not allowed to play in rain anymore I can remember playing loads of games in snow and ice when I was wee.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

The most obvious difference between now and ‘when I were a lad’ is boys football. Over the winter about half my sons games are usually postponed for some minor weather reason, sometimes it seems like they’re not allowed to play in rain anymore I can remember playing loads of games in snow and ice when I was wee.

That was a great performance from the Hammers in today's "game off"" conditions

But you did fitness training by cleaning chimneys...from the inside.

Central heating really put paid to that and is probably why young people now are such a bunch of wimps.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I’m 30 and played numerous games in snow, hail, driving rain and pitches covered in puddles.

I wonder if the wider introduction of the 4G pitches has meant that these pitches being frozen/covered in snow is an absolute no-no where as grass is still alright?

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before that snow can’t be removed from a 4G pitch and needs to just be left to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This match appeared in my YouTube in tray last week what a belter

Pretty sure this was Jimmy Greaves’ debut for West Ham

What a player and what a goalscoring record P 566 scored 386 played 57 for England scored 44

As you say amazing how they keep trying to play football in the conditions
    I think you're right and they mention that he scored on his debut for every club he played for (and on his debut for England). I love big Doidge and don't take part in the threads that revel in slagging him off, but if he had half the finishing skills of Jimmy Greaves he would have had about 50 goals this season ! Then again if he had half the finishing skills of Jimmy Greaves he'd be playing for Man City or PSG.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Great. Included thrown toilet roll when City scored, don't recall last time I saw that at a game. City end was empty when WH got their last goal but don't know if that's because the fans had left or just changed ends at half time. And this was in the days of communal baths - hate to think of the state the cleaners found the dressing rooms after the players had left.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Great. Included thrown toilet roll when City scored, don't recall last time I saw that at a game. City end was empty when WH got their last goal but don't know if that's because the fans had left or just changed ends at half time. And this was in the days of communal baths - hate to think of the state the cleaners found the dressing rooms after the players had left.
    good point about the toilet roll. Last time I saw that it was thrown by Craig Levein just before they played Dundee

That’s superb.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m 30 and played numerous games in snow, hail, driving rain and pitches covered in puddles.

I wonder if the wider introduction of the 4G pitches has meant that these pitches being frozen/covered in snow is an absolute no-no where as grass is still alright?

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before that snow can’t be removed from a 4G pitch and needs to just be left to melt.
    That could be part of it. Although most of our games were league games on a grass pitch, and the reason usually seemed to be a mixture of Edinburgh Leisure calling off games on a Friday based on a weather forecast, or the refs decision on the day. There were times when I thought he just wanted a lie in. Half the time it wasn’t even that bad underfoot.

On a wider point, the footage goes to show again how pointless it is trying to argue who was the better player between different eras. The underfoot conditions, ball manufacturer and the refs interpretation of the rules were totally different fifty years ago. The skill displayed by those players in the clip in those conditions is really impressive.

Do any players chew chewing gum while playing any more?

The thing that struck me about that was how much space the players got with the ball when in defence and midfield, you wouldn't get that much space now.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Don’t usually clink on these links, but that was well worth it. Amazing that the ball rolled so well on that quagmire. Made our pitch look like a bowling green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Great footage thanks for sharing.
    Couple of interesting things:
    The greatest born Englishman and alleged jewel thief Bobby Moore getting wolf whistles.
    Joe Corrigan liked to come off his line and punch **** out of strikers even then (older readers, see Colin Campbell)