hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murray and Ivan Lendl to formally reunite in preparation for the grass court season.

The 2 of the just seem to work but it seems like it's last chance saloon fro Murray if he wants to be competitive again.
    Won all his major titles, including two Olympic golds while working with Lendl, who also helped him become world No 1.

No chance he's getting back to those sort of heights but I imagine he's looking for the right coach to get him consistently back to a competitive top 20/top 30 level.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Not Murray related but I read that Becker has been jailed for 2.5 years at his bankruptcy trial.

Good to see Andy into the last four at Surbiton today. All the focus is rightly on Nadal in Paris but I'll always keep an eye out for Andy, my favourite sportsman of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Good to see Andy into the last four at Surbiton today. All the focus is rightly on Nadal in Paris but I'll always keep an eye out for Andy, my favourite sportsman of all time.
    Hope he goes onto win the title and have a good run at Wimbledon.

Surbiton's obviously quite a few levels below where he's used to playing but he'll have a decent test against Denis Kudla in the semis as he's reached the last 16 at Wimbledon a few years ago so is obviously quite good on grass.

For Murray just to be out there competing is quite impressive, I would love to see him go far at Wimbledon one last time.

Murray loses in three sets to Denis Kudla.

I think he should gracefully retire.
    He is never going to reach his previous levels and would have beaten Kudla easily a few years ago
    He is now like an ageing champion boxer who is still in it for the pay days but gets embarrassed by inferior opponents
    He gave it a go but no need to tarnish his reputation further.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    He is never going to reach his previous levels and would have beaten Kudla easily a few years ago
    He is now like an ageing champion boxer who is still in it for the pay days but gets embarrassed by inferior opponents
    I don't see it that he's tarnishing his reputation to be honest, I think he genuinely just enjoys playing tennis and whilst he would love to be at the level he was at 6 or 7 years ago but probably never will be again he is just happy doing something that he loves.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Should footballers retire at their prime or should they play if they enjoy it, we'd have never seen sauzee

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I don't see it that he's tarnishing his reputation to be honest, I think he genuinely just enjoys playing tennis and whilst he would love to be at the level he was at 6 or 7 years ago but probably never will be again he is just happy doing something that he loves.
    I would guess that he would have thought that he could compete at the very top level once he regained fitness from his injuries as he was world class.
    I can’t see him wanting to continue much longer if he is no longer really competitive with the big boys, it’s his winners mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Should footballers retire at their prime or should they play if they enjoy it, we'd have never seen sauzee
    Good point

@hibs.net private member
    His documentary on prime about his hip operation is great. He was in bits when he thought he had to retire.

I suppose its not like football where you're based in one training centre and stay at home. It's a way of life, traveling to a different country every fortnight with the same group of people. The normality of family life might be hard to go back to

His documentary on prime about his hip operation is great. He was in bits when he thought he had to retire.

I suppose its not like football where you're based in one training centre and stay at home. It's a way of life, traveling to a different country every fortnight with the same group of people. The normality of family life might be hard to go back to
    Near miraculous he's playing at the level he is with a metal hip. Said it before, my preference would be to see him play doubles, which would put less strain on his body plus he'd still be a regular title contender.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Fantastic documentary

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Good to see him winning although Tsitsipas isn't the best grass court player.

Nick Kyrgios in the semis should be a good test.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Good to see him winning although Tsitsipas isn't the best grass court player.

Nick Kyrgios in the semis should be a good test.
    Any match involving Kyrgios is always interesting

First Team Breakthrough
    Murray beat Kyrigos 7-6 (7-5) , 6-2 to reach the final where he will play Mario Berretini who defeated Oscar Otte 7-6(9-7) , 7-6 ( 7-5)

Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    Murray beat Kyrigos 7-6 (7-5) , 6-2 to reach the final where he will play Mario Berretini who defeated Oscar Otte 7-6(9-7) , 7-6 ( 7-5)
    Well done Andy. He's playing some great stuff at this event.

Great stuff from Murray today.

Hopefully his body holds up and he can put a run of tournaments together now. I don't think getting back into the top 15-20 in the world is beyond him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I wasn't surprised at all with Murray's win yesterday v Tsitsipas as he is pretty hopeless on grass. Today v Kyrgios I expected a pretty tight match so for Murray to win in straight sets is quite impressive.

I expect Berrettini to have too much for him tomorrow in the final but it's great seeing Murray reaching finals again.

Of course a 250 event is a much more minor event than Murray is used to playing throughout his career but considering what he's been through just to be back playing is an achievement in itself, never mind being back in finals.

I think reuniting with Ivan Lendl has been a great move.

Great to see him at top level again. Of course, the best of three suits him fine. Five setters are going to be a bit much for him now, I reckon.

Is the final on the telly?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Is the final on the telly?
    The previous rounds haven't been on any mainstream UK TV channel so I don't think this one will be either.

The other rounds have been streamed by Tennis TV but you need a subscription to access it.

Some gambling sites will be showing it too but you'll need money in your account to be able to watch it.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I’ve managed to find Tennis HD, a US channel on my IPTV that is apparently showing it. Due to start in 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Bet are showing it if you have an account with them. Don't seem to need any funds in your account either.

Murray a break down in the first set - 2-1.

Berrettini wins the first set 6-4.

Murray takes the second set 7-5.

Good contest. The old aggression is there. I still think the Italian will win once he gets his mojo back.

Berrettini breaks in the first game of the third set.