hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 112 of 112
  1. #91
    Testimonial Due ErinGoBraghHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd argue that Messi has worked extremely hard over the years. O'Sullivan too (on and off, probably worked harder on the mental side as that's his main weakness).

    Talent alone doesn't cut it at the very top level of any sport these days.

    Murray is incredibly talented, but also had to work stupidly hard to get anywhere near competing with Nadal, Djokovic and Federer. I'd put him as my top Scottish sportsman ever by a distance, but I guess those things are subjective.



    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Yep I hear what youíre saying, but messi hasnít had to work AS hard as Ronaldo would have to keep up with him, if you get me. As you say, all subjective


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep I hear what youíre saying, but messi hasnít had to work AS hard as Ronaldo would have to keep up with him, if you get me. As you say, all subjective


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That can't be measured, but I wouldn't be surprised if Messi worked just as hard over the years on technique, fitness etc.

    Riordan is a good example at our level for instance. I think most would say he was one of the first talents we've seen at the club in the last few decades, but it's also well known that he spent extra hours after training practising free kicks etc. I see that work ethic as part of his talent.

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

  4. #93
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,833
    Jocky Wilson must have a shout.

  5. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No chance, best tennis player ever but not sportsman


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    A kid from Dunblane who became the world's No 1 tennis player, along the way being the first British man to win a major in nearly 80 years? Extraordinary and puts him in the frame to be the greatest ever British sportsman, let alone Scottish.

  6. #95
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,148
    That last game was ridiculous, how he got the last 2 serves from Medvedev even back in the court was unbelievable

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

  7. #96
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,148
    Medvedev just too good sadly.

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Medvedev just too good sadly.

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Pity, but a terrific tournament for Andy nonetheless.


  9. #99
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/65519683

    Andy Murray wins his first title since 2019. Up to 42 in the world rankings. He'll never hit the heights of his golden years but he'll feel he's proved the hip op was worthwhile I reckon.

  10. #100
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Posts
    8,536
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/65519683

    Andy Murray wins his first title since 2019. Up to 42 in the world rankings. He'll never hit the heights of his golden years but he'll feel he's proved the hip op was worthwhile I reckon.
    Superb win for the big man. Hopefully has a great French open

  11. #101
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,833
    The important thing is Andy's win was on clay. That'll give him a tremendous boost.

  12. #102
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    54
    Posts
    33,767
    No tennis updates since SDG gave up posting but watching Alcaraz dismantle Tsitsipas is worth a mention.

    Tsitsipas is no mug but he can't get anywhere close in this game. Alcaraz will win this in straight sets - unless his form falls off an almighty cliff - and it will be Djokovic next in the semi final.

  13. #103
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tweedbank
    Posts
    415
    Murray one set up and 3-1 in the second in the final at Surbiton Rain has stopped play at the moment

  14. #104
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tweedbank
    Posts
    415
    Comfortable 6-3 , 6-2 victory for Murray

  15. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comfortable 6-3 , 6-2 victory for Murray
    Well done Andy. Class act.

  16. #106
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,264
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comfortable 6-3 , 6-2 victory for Murray
    Go Andy ! . The guy just defies logic !

  17. #107
    Back to back title wins for Andy with victory in today's Nottingham final 👏

  18. #108
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tweedbank
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back to back title wins for Andy with victory in today's Nottingham final 👏
    Onwards to Queens

  19. #109
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,496
    The two titles he won in the last fortnight were on the Challenger Tour. Brilliant that he won them but Queens will be a level up
    He has had a great start to the grasscourt season. It should give him a bit of an advantage at Queens. Looking forward to seeing how far he can go

  20. #110
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,341
    Gubbed by De Minaur at Queen's. Really disappointing.

  21. #111
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,833
    Love him or loathe him Nick Kyrgios is a big miss at Wimbledon this year.

    There aren't many characters left.

  22. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love him or loathe him Nick Kyrgios is a big miss at Wimbledon this year.

    There aren't many characters left.
    Agree. Extremely talented and very watchable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)