hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: St Johnstone

They really annoy me. In truth they're a well run, effective team and it's mostly about our inability to beat them recently, but as an irrational football fan I can't help but blame Saints and their crap brand of football. Really hope the other Saints knock them out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even if we finish 3rd?
    I'd seriously consider it. 3rd is good but the reward is genuinely nothing compared to the cup.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I'd seriously consider it. 3rd is good but the reward is genuinely nothing compared to the cup.
    3rd would represent our best league finish in 16 years or something ridiculous. Not a chance should the managers position be under any threat or serious consideration after that.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Why can’t we beat them?? Nobody else seems to have much of a problem!😠

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Why can’t we beat them?? Nobody else seems to have much of a problem!😠
    St Johnstone's only lost 6 of their last 27 away games.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    If he doesnt win the semi I personally think he needs to go.
    omg

so semis and third place is not enough at this stage of his Hibs career for you ... have you ever wanted to keep a Hibs manager ?

@hibs.net private member
    It’s ridiculous to suggest that JR has to go if he loses the semi final. Whilst Hibs aren’t great to watch a lot of the time this has been a successful season. Hibs in my 40 years of following them have never been so successful on the park. Two semi finals and never lower than fourth in the league. Some fans need a reality check, it wasn’t that long ago we were in the Championship for 3 years. Hibs should be looking to extend JRs contract not terminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    At least we are choosing a classier outfit to have an irrational complex about. So there is progress.
    Indeed, and a slap in the face for those who doubt or progress under the Ron Gordon-Jack Ross regime.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    It’s ridiculous to suggest that JR has to go if he loses the semi final. Whilst Hibs aren’t great to watch a lot of the time this has been a successful season. Hibs in my 40 years of following them have never been so successful on the park. Two semi finals and never lower than fourth in the league. Some fans need a reality check, it wasn’t that long ago we were in the Championship for 3 years. Hibs should be looking to extend JRs contract not terminate it.
    Absolutely agree the semi-final result should have no bearing upon his future. The four remaining teams are all capable of beating each other; it's wide open. Cup ties are always a matter of which team produces on the day. I will be far more critical if we fail to finish third from this position.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Not for me. Showing a complete inability to win the big games in the only competitions we have a chance of winning is definitely a huge problem imo. I’m not saying he would HAVE to go but I do think the question would need to be asked.

We can finish third, we can point out that getting to the semi final is decent going but if you want to be successful you can’t just accept choking every time you get to the business end of the competitions you can realistically win. I wouldn’t be surprised if RG thinks the same. He clearly has big ambitions for us and I don’t think he’ll feel that being knocked out of semi finals and/or finals in games were favourites in 3 times in one season will sit well with him and I’m not sure he’ll class that as successful.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 02-05-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not for me. Showing a complete inability to win the big games in the only competitions we have a chance of winning is definitely a huge problem imo. I’m not saying he would HAVE to go but I do think the question would need to be asked.

We can finish third, we can point out that getting to the semi final is decent going but if you want to be successful you can’t just accept choking every time you get to the business end of the competitions you can realistically win. I wouldn’t be surprised if RG thinks the same. He clearly has big ambitions for us and I don’t think he’ll feel that being knocked out of semi finals and/or finals in games were favourites in 3 times in one season will sit well with him and I’m not sure he’ll class that as successful.
    Mate, we can't go sacking managers for losing semi-finals. We're Hibs, not Real Madrid; we don't win many trophies. In my humble opinion, losing to Dundee United would hardly be the biggest shock in world football. Of course we want to make the final, but it's a fifty-fifty game against United. Third place and a cup semi or a final is a damn good season for us historically.

Left by mutual consent!
    St. Johnston have four ex- Hibs players deemed not good enough for us.

Callum Booth being no worse than young Doig in my opinion and yet Doig is the best thing since sliced cheeses. I remember Callum being that guy back in the day!

David Wotherspoon - A talented player hounded out because he allegedly went a bit stale and needed to move on. Reality was that the players around him were poor and he as a young lad maybe needed a rest. To allow him to leave was a mistake in my opinion. Who in our midfield right now is better than David?

Liam Craig - Quality player. A leader. Why oh why are we allowing guys like him to leave? Again, there’s nobody in our current squad that comes near him.

Glen Middleton to a lesser extent but is starting to show he’s got great ability. Why didn’t we do more to keep this young guy?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post

Callum Booth being no worse than young Doig in my opinion and yet Doig is the best thing since sliced cheeses. I remember Callum being that guy back in the day!

David Wotherspoon - A talented player hounded out because he allegedly went a bit stale and needed to move on. Reality was that the players around him were poor and he as a young lad maybe needed a rest. To allow him to leave was a mistake in my opinion. Who in our midfield right now is better than David?

Liam Craig - Quality player. A leader. Why oh why are we allowing guys like him to leave? Again, there’s nobody in our current squad that comes near him.

Glen Middleton to a lesser extent but is starting to show he’s got great ability. Why didn’t we do more to keep this young guy?
    Callum Booth was well off the boil and spent 3 seasons at Partick after being out on loan for a lot of the end of his Hibs contract. There were rumours (I've no idea if true) that he liked a scoop too much.

Wotherspoon chose to move back to his home town club, and was often ripped to shreds on here during his time at Hibs.

Craig was also targeted by our boo boys and his confidence went down the pan. Not nice for a Hibee.

Middleton had a few decent performances for Hibs then went off the boil. He's hardly had a game for St Johnstone since going there.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar

Yep, was about to say the same. Davidson has managed to put together a team of mismatches and rennongrades and turn them into a side capable of winning cups. Fair play to him. No mean feat. Booth, Wotherspoon, Middleton and Craig, FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    3rd would represent our best league finish in 16 years or something ridiculous. Not a chance should the managers position be under any threat or serious consideration after that.
    I probably agree, all things considered. 3rd is good, and we've made massive progress since he came in. But if we lose to Dundee United next week, that is a dreadful result. Like, significantly worse than any result since probably the Falkirk playoff loss.

Hibs winning the cup this year will genuinely give us a fantastic chance to put ourselves well ahead of the pack for years. Its big money, would attract some good players and, with Covid seriously hurting other sides, gives us a bigger advantage than it normally would.

If Ross cant get it right, get the players motivated etc and win this cup, there would be doubts over his ability to take us forward.

holy ****ing moly. No one close to Liam Craig

Booth never had a season like Doig has had. Booth had literally 5 or 6 good games, didn't look after himself off the pitch, didn't want it, and took years to get anywhere near the level he was at Hibs.

No one hounded Wotherspoon out. Fans liked him. Who is better than David? The guys who are 15 points clear of him. Decent player, nothing more. Replaced by much better.

Liam Craig? Seriously mate? We let him go at a time we had McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Henderson, Bartley. Thats why. He is a worse player than all of them. Not a ****ing leader What exactly did he lead us to? Relegation, failed to get promotion, lost a semi to Falkirk. Widely considered one of the worst Hibs captains.

Glenn Middleton was absolutely rubbish here. ****ing dreadful. Correctly let go. Why would we do anything to keep him?

Honestly mate, did you actually watch Hibs when these guys were here or were you one of the many to sloop away when we were struggling? Glenn ****ing middleton was genuinely awful. Him scoring an open goal doesn't change that. If he is so good, why isn't he actually getting a game?

You are honestly on another planet if you believe that rubbish. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but that post is utter rubbish. No one comes near Craig ****ing hilarious.

I probably agree, all things considered. 3rd is good, and we've made massive progress since he came in. But if we lose to Dundee United next week, that is a dreadful result. Like, significantly worse than any result since probably the Falkirk playoff loss.

Hibs winning the cup this year will genuinely give us a fantastic chance to put ourselves well ahead of the pack for years. Its big money, would attract some good players and, with Covid seriously hurting other sides, gives us a bigger advantage than it normally would.

If Ross cant get it right, get the players motivated etc and win this cup, there would be doubts over his ability to take us forward.
    Why is that? United are an SPL side, just two points behind St Johnstone. It's a fifty-fifty game for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win. I wouldn't be confident of putting money on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Why is that? United are an SPL side, just two points behind St Johnstone. It's a fifty-fifty game for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win. I wouldn't be confident of putting money on the outcome.
    Nothing 50/50 about it. We've been them twice this season easily and battered them in a 1-1 draw.

We are a much better side, should be winning.

The reason it would be so dreadful is because of whats at stake.

holy ****ing moly. No one close to Liam Craig

Booth never had a season like Doig has had. Booth had literally 5 or 6 good games, didn't look after himself off the pitch, didn't want it, and took years to get anywhere near the level he was at Hibs.

No one hounded Wotherspoon out. Fans liked him. Who is better than David? The guys who are 15 points clear of him. Decent player, nothing more. Replaced by much better.

Liam Craig? Seriously mate? We let him go at a time we had McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Henderson, Bartley. Thats why. He is a worse player than all of them. Not a ****ing leader What exactly did he lead us to? Relegation, failed to get promotion, lost a semi to Falkirk. Widely considered one of the worst Hibs captains.

Glenn Middleton was absolutely rubbish here. ****ing dreadful. Correctly let go. Why would we do anything to keep him?

Honestly mate, did you actually watch Hibs when these guys were here or were you one of the many to sloop away when we were struggling? Glenn ****ing middleton was genuinely awful. Him scoring an open goal doesn't change that. If he is so good, why isn't he actually getting a game?

You are honestly on another planet if you believe that rubbish. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but that post is utter rubbish. No one comes near Craig ****ing hilarious.
    I think the point of the post is that those players just helped St Johnstone to another win at ER. The irony is that none of them are deemed good enough to play for Hibs but they are pimping us.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    I think the point of the post is that those players just helped St Johnstone to another win at ER. The irony is that none of them are deemed good enough to play for Hibs but they are pimping us.
    Would you swap squads or places with St Johnstone?

They are pumping nothing. Porteous was playing against us and gave them a goal. Did they have another shot?

If they get 5 more 1-0 wins at ER they'll still be behind us in the table.

Nothing 50/50 about it. We've been them twice this season easily and battered them in a 1-1 draw.

We are a much better side, should be winning.

The reason it would be so dreadful is because of whats at stake.
    Fair enough, we'll agree to differ there. I think it will be a tight game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Fair enough, we'll agree to differ there. I think it will be a tight game.
    Yes, it will. Man city had a tight game with Palace yesterday, they are still much better, ahead of them in the league, and would win 8/10 times. Same as we should be with United.

Where is it, exactly, that you expect a manager to take Hibs?

Better than 3rd in the league and better than regular semi-finals and Europe? That's not going to happen. I don't understand these expectations / requirements - this is a great time to be a Hibs fan - or it would be if we could actually go to the games.

Why do people think that Hibs have a divine right to beat St Johnstone, Dundee United or anyone else? It's sport, and anyone can win a one-off game.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Better than 3rd in the league and better than regular semi-finals and Europe? That's not going to happen. I don't understand these expectations / requirements - this is a great time to be a Hibs fan - or it would be if we could actually go to the games.

Why do people think that Hibs have a divine right to beat St Johnstone, Dundee United or anyone else? It's sport, and anyone can win a one-off game.
    Yep, the Hibs manager that doesn’t lose games of football doesn’t exist and never will.

Would you swap squads or places with St Johnstone?

They are pumping nothing. Porteous was playing against us and gave them a goal. Did they have another shot?

If they get 5 more 1-0 wins at ER they'll still be behind us in the table.
    We've played St Johnstone 3 times in 2021 and lost 3 times to an aggregate score of 5-0. Whether you belive we are better are not is irrelevant, we currently are their bitches. Would I swap squads, no. Do they have the better of us, yes they do, which includes their Hibs rejects.

Hope we get the better of them on 22nd May if we get there though. 1 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

I know anyone can win a one off game. St Johnstone have now beat us in 3 one off games without us scoring. Is that still a one off? Or do we have a problem that needs fixing?

Hibs will always lose games. But just this time, we really need to win these ones.

Yes, it will. Man city had a tight game with Palace yesterday, they are still much better, ahead of them in the league, and would win 8/10 times. Same as we should be with United.
    I agree with you.

It's not inconceivable that United could beat us. However we are miles clear off them in the league and have beaten them 2 out of 3 times this season. Neither the league table nor results against each other lies. We are a considerably better team and should be beating them.

Of course the game at Ibrox last week proves shocks can happen but that's what it was, a shock. Same as it will be if United beat us. We are favourites and rightly so. I find it quite interesting that having confidence in the team and expecting them to beat a team like Dundee Utd is almost being painted as 'negative' and building up to tearing into Ross and the players. Anything but for me, I'm expecting us to reach the SC final because we are so obviously better than United and should believe as much.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

There’s a lot of rewriting history going on here. None of the players listed would get into our first team. To say we’ve got no one in our current squad that comes near Liam Craig is ridiculous.

United we stand here....

Just WOW

Hahahahha this cannot be serious.

Callum Booth looked good for a while, but poor defensively and very slow. Doig is already a better player and will go on to do so much more than Booth ever has.

Wotherspoon is doing well for them, so did Drey Wright and look how he is for them. Wotherspoon wasn’t good enough to be a regular starter/important player when he left and were a far better team now.

Liam Craig.....you think no one in our squad comes close to Liam Craig?? Did you watch him for us? This whole leader chat or lack of leader chat you hear is absolute nonsense.

Middleton - he scored more or less an open goal, well done. I actually thought he would do well in fairness but It was under Heckingbottom.

People need to realise how St Johnstone set up compared to us and that each game we’ve played against them they’ve scored first, that is the difference. If we score first we win.