hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: St Johnstone

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree to an extent but I remain hugely frustrated that we messed up a great opportunity to win an all too rare trophy.
    I was frustrated too but I am far from embarrassed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fair play to them, the best team won the competition.

I think we should give more credit to the "wee" sides in Scotland who tend to do better than you might expect - St Johnstone, Motherwell, Ross County do an awful lot with minimal resource.

Clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers have spent a fair bit of the past decade and more pissing about in the lower leagues and underachieving to various degrees for various reasons. That shouldn't take away from praising the teams who do well with what they have.

It's up to these clubs to up their game and get their act together. I get the feeling we're on the right track and if we perform like we should as a club then it will be much more difficult for clubs like St Johnstone and Motherwell to come out on top of us.

Let them enjoy their day though. They've been a well run club for a while, make sacrifices and difficult decisions and have been rewarded. They don't get close to the list of clubs that grind my gears for one reason or another.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    St Johnstone deserve their win, a well organised team in the league cup this season.

I am as disappointed as everyone that we didnt make the final of the Scottish or League cups, but St J success should be something that spurs us on further, rather than anything else.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Well done Saintees

Pleased for you

Wish it had been us but saints deserve it. Being from Peebles good to see Steven Maclean doing well as an assistant!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I think we should give more credit to the "wee" sides in Scotland who tend to do better than you might expect - St Johnstone, Motherwell, Ross County do an awful lot with minimal resource.

Clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers have spent a fair bit of the past decade and more pissing about in the lower leagues and underachieving to various degrees for various reasons. That shouldn't take away from praising the teams who do well with what they have.

It's up to these clubs to up their game and get their act together. I get the feeling we're on the right track and if we perform like we should as a club then it will be much more difficult for clubs like St Johnstone and Motherwell to come out on top of us.

Let them enjoy their day though. They've been a well run club for a while, make sacrifices and difficult decisions and have been rewarded. They don't get close to the list of clubs that grind my gears for one reason or another.
    Well said

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Stevie May and David Wotherspoon join Lewis Stevenson in the small band of winners of both Cups in Scotland who have not played for Celtc or the Rangers. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Stevie May and David Wotherspoon join Lewis Stevenson in the small band of winners of both Cups in Scotland who have not played for Celtc or the Rangers. Congratulations.
    As does Wotherspoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Michael O’Halloran is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    Michael O’Halloran is another.
    O'Halloran played for Rangers although I think the poster would have meant players who won both cups with clubs other than Rangers and Celtic, in which case that is correct.

John McGinn and Craig Conway are another two who have done it.

Pretty special achievement for Wotherspoon, May and O'Halloran to have won both cups with St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    As does Wotherspoon.
    After the 2014 cup final we bumped into him at the back of Hampden's east stand with his Hibs scarf on, I still have the picture we had taken with him. He turned up to support us that day and didn't even sit in the posh seats, couldn't be more pleased for him, seems a real good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    After the 2014 cup final we bumped into him at the back of Hampden's east stand with his Hibs scarf on, I still have the picture we had taken with him. He turned up to support us that day and didn't even sit in the posh seats, couldn't be more pleased for him, seems a real good guy.
    Guessing you mean the 2016 final? He was playing the drum in asda after the game. Never seen mayhem like it.

Also the first Club in Scotland outside Celtic to win a major trophy since a certain team had a pretty enjoyable day out at Hampden in May 2016.
    Well played Saints. Hopefully Hibs will be the next team.... if the Scottish Cup gets played.

Testimonial Due
    Note they had 5 shots, 3 on target and scored from a corner. Hope we have learnt our lesson from the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I’ve said on many occasions that despite us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United to a certain extent having more money than the others out with the old firm or a bigger fan base it doesn’t make too big a difference.

Even though we might be able to pay an extra grand a week there’s numerous teams in England who can pay more than us. If a player is coming to Scotland it’s likely the same 3/4 teams will be interested in him then it’s personal preference.

I really don’t think there’s much between say 3-9th in the league. Ourselves in Aberdeen will have a bit more quality in the final 3rd but other than that....

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Note they had 5 shots, 3 on target and scored from a corner. Hope we have learnt our lesson from the semi.
    What lesson is that?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What lesson is that?
    We have to be well organized to defend set pieces. Expect them to be stuffy and be patient in opening them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’ve said on many occasions that despite us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United to a certain extent having more money than the others out with the old firm or a bigger fan base it doesn’t make too big a difference.

Even though we might be able to pay an extra grand a week there’s numerous teams in England who can pay more than us. If a player is coming to Scotland it’s likely the same 3/4 teams will be interested in him then it’s personal preference.

I really don’t think there’s much between say 3-9th in the league. Ourselves in Aberdeen will have a bit more quality in the final 3rd but other than that....
    Over the course of a season our budget means we have greater depth that means we can cope with injuries and suspensions better. League tends not to lie but one off games are never a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    2nd most successful Scottish club in the last decade. All the so called big Scottish clubs, like ourselves, should be utterly embarrassed by that.
    I'd be more embarrassed by this post tbh.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

People seem to think that our bigger budget means we should be light years ahead of these "lesser" clubs, but the difference in budget between Hibs and a team that's 9th for example in the grand scheme of things is minimal. The gulf between the OF and everyone else is huge, the difference between the others is a few hundred pounds a week which in football money is almost nothing.

Any team in our league that avoids significant injuries and their players are all playing well at the same time will do well, they just lack the consistency that players the OF can afford will give you in general.

St Johnstone have put together a good run of results in the cup, but they are wildly inconsistent in general, we are inconsistent too but to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I’d have been delighted, as I’ve said. It wouldn’t have had anywhere near the same high however. Just like losing in it had nowhere near the same low.
    Losing these semi's were a major low. How can any Hibby think otherwise? Was never embarrassed though. Disappointed, raging mad possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by StockholmHibs View Post
    Losing these semi's were a major low. How can any Hibby think otherwise? Was never embarrassed though. Disappointed, raging mad possibly.
    I was raging at the time but life went on by that night. If I’m at the game it would’ve been far worse and lasted far longer. Like I said, it never had the low it would’ve done had I been there, and had we won the trophy (I’d imagine as it hasn’t happened) it wouldn’t have had anywhere near the high you’d get being there in person and having the parade etc. Just the way of the world just now for me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    2nd most successful Scottish club in the last decade. All the so called big Scottish clubs, like ourselves, should be utterly embarrassed by that.
    Spot on. When you look at the list of winners and think of the years we have gifted to first time winners. 2004 Livingston, 2016 Ross County and 2021 St Johnstone. We should be achieving so much more.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Great credit to Callum Davidson has done a very good job. They are up and down and don't score loads of goals however they have played some very good football this season. Wotherspoon has probably had the best season of his career. Felt sorry for Murray Davidson as that is two winning finals he has missed I think. Just imagine the outcry and hounding he would have got if he had put a shocking tackle on a Rangers player and put him out of a winning final.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Spot on. When you look at the list of winners and think of the years we have gifted to first time winners. 2004 Livingston, 2016 Ross County and 2021 St Johnstone. We should be achieving so much more.
    Every club in the country could say the same in any cup competition that they should have done better.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    That'll be Livingston who were in administration but were still outspending us and Ross County who were in the league above and were only playing half the number of games at the time of the final?

That would have Hibs on 5 major trophies in 20 years. In our history we've won 10. Do you genuinely expect that?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That would have Hibs on 5 major trophies in 20 years. In our history we've won 10. Do you genuinely expect that?
    In the last 20 years, how many semi finals and finals have realistically had a chance of winning? A great number. We have won 3 major trophies in 40 years!!! Is that good enough for a club Hibs size?

In the last 20 years, how many semi finals and finals have realistically had a chance of winning? A great number. We have won 3 major trophies in 40 years!!!
    Yes, of course. We could've won more. In 2004 we beat Rangers and Celtic, Clubs who should have beat us (your logic bigger budget, better players etc) - So if everyone won games they should, we don't reach the final.

2007 we beat Hearts who were spending much more than us. Again, we lose.

in 2016 we beat Aberdeen who were 1st in the top league and spending much more than us. We're out in the last 16. No problem. We also go out the Scottish to Hearts. 1991 we beat Rangers. That cannot happen in this world where the favourite wins every game.

2021 yes, we should have won it with your logic. Thats fair. That would take us to 1 trophy in 40 years.

Upsets happen. No point crying about it now.

Kidding ourselves on to say anything other than we’d have loved to have won it yesterday. Also, it’s not a choice between 3rd place and a cup.