hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St Johnstone

Hybrid View

St Johnstone

2nd most successful Scottish club in the last decade. All the so called big Scottish clubs, like ourselves, should be utterly embarrassed by that.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm not embarrassed and, even this weekend, I'd still rather be a Hibee.

Left by mutual consent!
    This logic means arsenal have been more successful than Liverpool over the last decade, Wigan have been as successful as Leicester, Swansea and Birmingham are in the top 10 most successful clubs.

Not embarrassed at all. Couldn't actually care less. Shame their 2k fans didn't get to see it today. Know who I'd rather support.

Not embarrassed. They won a cup because they deserved to. Good on them.

I won’t be embarrassed when we are playing big teams on Thursday nights next season. If anything I’ll be proud.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I won’t be embarrassed when we are playing big teams on Thursday nights next season. If anything I’ll be proud.
    we’re playing hearts on a Thursday night?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    we’re playing hearts on a Thursday night?
    An eighth day in the week has been created for Hearts matches as a seven day week just simply isnt big enough to accomodate them

As much as I was raging we got beat, and would’ve loved us to win them, what’s the point this year? Can’t be there, can’t celebrate other than in the house on your own, would be a total shadow of previous cup wins.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    As much as I was raging we got beat, and would’ve loved us to win them, what’s the point this year? Can’t be there, can’t celebrate other than in the house on your own, would be a total shadow of previous cup wins.
    What's the point of winning a major trophy? Did you just ask that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    What's the point of winning a major trophy? Did you just ask that?
    Not from a clubs point of view obviously. As a fan this year if given the choice it would’ve been European football every day with the chance of travelling next season.

Not from a clubs point of view obviously. As a fan this year if given the choice it would’ve been European football every day with the chance of travelling next season.
    But that isn't the choice though is it. I'm a fan (who goes when the stadium is open) but I would love to win a BCD cup. No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    But that isn't the choice though is it. I'm a fan (who goes when the stadium is open) but I would love to win a BCD cup. No brainer.
    We would all love to win the cup but it wouldn’t be a great experience, due to the points i make. Compare and contrast to 2007 and 2016 and it wouldn’t feel like a cup win at all. It would go in the record books but it’s not one we’d be telling the kids about in 20 years time.

I guess the point I’m making is I’m not going to lose sleep over losing this years semi and the Saints winning the cup when I’m not actually there in person, the highs and the lows just don’t feel the same as when you are there week in week out.

So if we'd won it you wouldn't be happy? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    So if we'd won it you wouldn't be happy? 😂
    Who said that?

Would rather win it with or without fans any year

Left by mutual consent!
    I agree to an extent but I remain hugely frustrated that we messed up a great opportunity to win an all too rare trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I agree to an extent but I remain hugely frustrated that we messed up a great opportunity to win an all too rare trophy.
    I was frustrated too but I am far from embarrassed.

Fair play to them, the best team won the competition.

I think we should give more credit to the "wee" sides in Scotland who tend to do better than you might expect - St Johnstone, Motherwell, Ross County do an awful lot with minimal resource.

Clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers have spent a fair bit of the past decade and more pissing about in the lower leagues and underachieving to various degrees for various reasons. That shouldn't take away from praising the teams who do well with what they have.

It's up to these clubs to up their game and get their act together. I get the feeling we're on the right track and if we perform like we should as a club then it will be much more difficult for clubs like St Johnstone and Motherwell to come out on top of us.

Let them enjoy their day though. They've been a well run club for a while, make sacrifices and difficult decisions and have been rewarded. They don't get close to the list of clubs that grind my gears for one reason or another.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    St Johnstone deserve their win, a well organised team in the league cup this season.

I am as disappointed as everyone that we didnt make the final of the Scottish or League cups, but St J success should be something that spurs us on further, rather than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I think we should give more credit to the "wee" sides in Scotland who tend to do better than you might expect - St Johnstone, Motherwell, Ross County do an awful lot with minimal resource.

Clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers have spent a fair bit of the past decade and more pissing about in the lower leagues and underachieving to various degrees for various reasons. That shouldn't take away from praising the teams who do well with what they have.

It's up to these clubs to up their game and get their act together. I get the feeling we're on the right track and if we perform like we should as a club then it will be much more difficult for clubs like St Johnstone and Motherwell to come out on top of us.

Let them enjoy their day though. They've been a well run club for a while, make sacrifices and difficult decisions and have been rewarded. They don't get close to the list of clubs that grind my gears for one reason or another.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I’ve said on many occasions that despite us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United to a certain extent having more money than the others out with the old firm or a bigger fan base it doesn’t make too big a difference.

Even though we might be able to pay an extra grand a week there’s numerous teams in England who can pay more than us. If a player is coming to Scotland it’s likely the same 3/4 teams will be interested in him then it’s personal preference.

I really don’t think there’s much between say 3-9th in the league. Ourselves in Aberdeen will have a bit more quality in the final 3rd but other than that....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Well done Saintees

Pleased for you

Wish it had been us but saints deserve it. Being from Peebles good to see Steven Maclean doing well as an assistant!

Quote Originally Posted by Potty78 View Post
    Wish it had been us but saints deserve it. Being from Peebles good to see Steven Maclean doing well as an assistant!
    I'd agree with that Potty. Some "fans" on here need to get a grip....

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I had hoped Livi would win it, but well done to Saints for winning a major trophy for only the second time. Such moments don't come around often for most clubs, so it's a big achievement.

By the way, outside the Old Firm, trophies are few and far between for all of us. It's so difficult to compete in a league where two clubs are so much bigger than the rest.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

It was a hugely missed opportunity by us in that semi final against them. Had a genuinely good chance and winning a major domestic trophy and we blew it big time. Our form in semi finals needs to improve no doubt about it but if we qualify for Europe and finish 3rd this season i'll be very happy with that.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the same Liam Craig that captained the biggest arse collapse in Hibs history?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Just to be clear, we are talking about the same Liam Craig that captained the biggest arse collapse in Hibs history?
    My memory of Liam Craig the 'leader' is from the season we were releagted him collapsing to the turf at Ross County, head in his hands after a defeat. There was still a game to play and nothing had been decided but the club captain gave a very public display of having given up. It was pitiful.

I'm normally a very supportive type at games with a bit of muttering under my breath when things go wrong but that is one of the few times I have ever singled a Hibs player out for a really vitriolic mouthful. The fans in attendance had made a real effort to be there that night and deserved better from him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My memory of Liam Craig the 'leader' is from the season we were releagted him collapsing to the turf at Ross County, head in his hands after a defeat. There was still a game to play and nothing had been decided but the club captain gave a very public display of having given up. It was pitiful.

I'm normally a very supportive type at games with a bit of muttering under my breath when things go wrong but that is one of the few times I have ever singled a Hibs player out for a really vitriolic mouthful. The fans in attendance had made a real effort to be there that night and deserved better from him.
    Phew, I thought it was just me that thinks this about him!

He was such a good captain there were times he didn’t make the starting eleven. Admittedly it was a shambles under Butcher and Malpas but having him as captain certainty didn’t help. I’ve never seen a captain take so little responsibility on the pitch. The worst Hibs captain I’ve ever seen.

I accept he’s now won a League Cup medal with St Johnstone and might win a Scottish Cup too but my abiding memory of his stay is that having left St Johnstone to come to us he helped take us down and St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup.