hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: St Johnstone

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2nd most successful Scottish club in the last decade. All the so called big Scottish clubs, like ourselves, should be utterly embarrassed by that.
    What a bizarre take on it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Anyhoo,we better score first when we play them as it would seem with our record in general and St Johnstone record in particular we will drop three points and give Aberdeen more hope.

Sadly, I live in hope rather than confidence ,a state of mind I suppose most of us do regarding Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Anyhoo,we better score first when we play them as it would seem with our record in general and St Johnstone record in particular we will drop three points and give Aberdeen more hope.

Sadly, I live in hope rather than confidence ,a state of mind I suppose most of us do regarding Hibs.
    We've won our last 3 in Perth and last lost there in March 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We've won our last 3 in Perth and last lost there in March 2014.

Did we score first ?

Did we score first ?
    Only in 2 of them

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Only in 2 of them

We seem fated to fail this season if we do not score first ,that has to say something about the team but I sure as hell cannot work it out.

Any opinions out there ?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think you have to applaud them for punching above their weight, when you look at clubs like ourselves, Dundee United and the like who have had spells in the lower tier they've consistently found themselves in the top flight. They stuck by Tommy Wright for quite some time and the new manager seems to have a good foundation to build off of as well. Even in the squad, the likes of Wotherspoon, Booth, Craig have been there for some time and although they've lost some key players over the years there's always been someone to replace them.

Rather than be "embarrased" by St. Johnstone, I admire them for long term thinking, consistency, loyalty to staff and that they're well run. They earn their successes.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We seem fated to fail this season if we do not score first ,that has to say something about the team but I sure as hell cannot work it out.

Any opinions out there ?
    I think it is more a playstyle thing. Our team suits counter attacking much better than it does breaking down a team defending a lead. Ross needs to figure out how to break down low blocks.

Blog Entries

Any opinions out there ?
    It's true but for years we were told we couldn't hold on to a lead! This season (all games) we haven't lost when taking the lead. League games only, we haven't won when conceding 1st!

[QUOTE=brog;6481870]It's true but for years we were told we couldn't hold on to a lead! This season (all games) we haven't lost when taking the lead. League games only, we haven't won when conceding 1st![/QUOTE

Not winning when conceding first.
    A familiar occurrance under Alex Miller ,some might say !!

Only club other than ourselves and the ugly sisters I can recall winning both Scottish and League cups. I know others have done it but was too young to remember Aberdeen and St Mirren win their cups in late 80's early 90"s.

*Actually remember Killie winning both

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    That is clearly not what I was saying.

FWIW, I didn't think you were saying that either.

I think people are being a bit overly defensive here, in that Hibs have had opportunities handed to them on a plate and just not taken them.

St Johnstone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    2nd most successful Scottish club in the last decade. All the so called big Scottish clubs, like ourselves, should be utterly embarrassed by that.
    Well done St Johnstone.

As for being embarrassed, I take it you are from your post?

I’m disappointed but not embarrassed.

Btw... According to my hearts associates we are the wee team and they are the big team. BeLIEve what you want. (Them being in the championship and all that)

So what are we??? Asking for a friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Well done St Johnstone.

As for being embarrassed, I take it you are from your post?

I’m disappointed but not embarrassed.

Btw... According to my hearts associates we are the wee team and they are the big team. BeLIEve what you want. (Them being in the championship and all that)

So what are we??? Asking for a friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Fair play to St.Johnstone for winning both Cups within the space of 7 years.

Funnily enough I don't think they are anywhere near as strong a club as they were in the late 60s and 70s when I started going to away matches.

Always loved going to Muirton Park and there was always a great atmosphere when we played them there. One game especially when we won 3-1 there in a Scottish Cup tie, Jimmy O'Rourke hat trick if I recall correctly. Game highlights were on Scotsport the next day and the ground was heaving.

Never been the same for me after they left Muirton Park and they have suffered from moving to an out of town stadium. They have now won two cups and their average attendance still won't rise next season. Shame really.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Worth noting also that st johnstone have the third highest amount of points accumulated in the spl over the last decade aswell, celtic, aberdeen then st johnstone.

God knows how they do it on such a small budget compared to others but they're doin summit right.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    When they made a move to an all paid for all-seater stadium I did suspect that it would stand them in good stead in the long run. With a low cost base and living within their means and shrewd managerial a acquisitions they’ve done stunningly well. They must market the club (Perthshire will be decent draw from Grimsby) well to the recruits.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

St Johnstone are an average SPL side and vastly inferior to us as a team. That said cup wins are usually about bottle rather than skill and they have more of that than us. Those two semi defeats will annoy me for a long time.

Anyway, let’s not denigrate St Johnstone, let’s castigate ourselves for allowing us to lose two semis against poor opposition who just wanted it more.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    As much as I was raging we got beat, and would’ve loved us to win them, what’s the point this year? Can’t be there, can’t celebrate other than in the house on your own, would be a total shadow of previous cup wins.
    Looking at this post at the start of the thread no idea why there were so many arsey comments about it, it’s clear what he meant and I agree this year wouldn’t have been the same and pretty ***** to be fair. No ***** enough that wouldn’t want to win it just ***** that you couldn’t be there to Witness it and maximise the experience as a fan for what is the odd occasion we win a cup.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Fair play to St.Johnstone for winning both Cups within the space of 7 years.

Funnily enough I don't think they are anywhere near as strong a club as they were in the late 60s and 70s when I started going to away matches.

Always loved going to Muirton Park and there was always a great atmosphere when we played them there. One game especially when we won 3-1 there in a Scottish Cup tie, Jimmy O'Rourke hat trick if I recall correctly. Game highlights were on Scotsport the next day and the ground was heaving.

Never been the same for me after they left Muirton Park and they have suffered from moving to an out of town stadium. They have now won two cups and their average attendance still won't rise next season. Shame really.
    Remember that day well and Hibs took up to Perth a big crowd.If my memory serves me right we heard the draw for the next round on the bus back to Edinburgh.Hibs were drawn at home to either Rangers or Dundee who were playing for some reason on the Sunday.Met Dundee who were a good team in those days and went out following a replay.

Left by mutual consent!
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-huge-club-one-trophy-23505851

Tam McManus weighing in too.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-huge-club-one-trophy-23505851

What does he think we are trying to do? Finishing 3rd and getting into the European group stages would be ****ing HUGE for this club.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Hibs 68 View Post
    Remember that day well and Hibs took up to Perth a big crowd.If my memory serves me right we heard the draw for the next round on the bus back to Edinburgh.Hibs were drawn at home to either Rangers or Dundee who were playing for some reason on the Sunday.Met Dundee who were a good team in those days and went out following a replay.
    Dundee beat rangers 3-0 at ibrox on that Sunday in front of a crowd of 60,000 iirc which was double their average attendance. The score, being played on a Sunday and the crowd all stuck in my head as they were all unusual to say the least.
    Dundee then beat hibs in a replay at dens 3-0 and the crowd that night was over 30,000 after a 3-3 draw at Easter road. I might be wrong but did Alan Gordon and John Duncan both get hatvtricks?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Anyway on to Saturday, we’ll need to sharpen up on defending against Saints corners/ set plays
    The winner against Livvi in the final was a header from another dead ball move

@hibs.net private member
    I notice Rooney went off injured. Hopefully just serious enough to keep him out on Saturday

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

He has a cheek, he’s won **** all and failed absolutely everywhere including Hibs.
    But I suppose he will have me down as a Hibs.net ‘roaster’ for having that opinion while he gets paid to ghost write ***** in the papers and I’m subjected to listening to him talk guff and fib like the chavvy wideo he is about Dougray Scott live on Hibs TV for my Łk....
    Balloon.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    He has a cheek, he’s won **** all and failed absolutely everywhere including Hibs.
    But I suppose he will have me down as a Hibs.net ‘roaster’ for having that opinion while he gets paid to ghost write ***** in the papers and I’m subjected to listening to him talk guff and fib like the chavvy wideo he is about Dougray Scott live on Hibs TV for my Łk....
    Balloon.
    Personally quite like him comes over as genuine and to me pretty decent analysis of games and a wee bit of humour thrown in. This is just a puff piece but regards expectations from fans he is probably close to the truth.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally quite like him comes over as genuine and to me pretty decent analysis of games and a wee bit of humour thrown in. This is just a puff piece but regards expectations from fans he is probably close to the truth.
    He's pretty self depreciating there with his "jinx" talk.

The only criticisms I have of him are that he can sometimes be too negative - if a match isn't going our way and it's Tam & Cliff on the mics it can be pretty soul destroying.

The other thing is that he expects players to do stuff regularly that he never did. There's a difference between "he maybe could have done better" and "he has to do better there".

Tam isn’t the brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Really? I've not heard him provide one decent bit of analysis this season. Literally says the most obvious thing every time.