hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sinclair Mackie

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Sinclair Mackie

Was taking to a neighbour, and he told me his dad played a few times for Hibs as a goalie in the mid 50’s, then moved onto Dunfermline
    Can’t find anything on IHibs
    He’s got some memorabilia of old programmes and photos with the famous 5
    Anyone remember him?

I’ve attached the photo, from a Scotland game in the 50’s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 01-03-2021 at 02:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was taking to a neighbour, and he told me his dad played a few times for Hibs as a goalie in the mid 50’s, then moved onto Dunfermline
    Anyone remember him?
    Checked Hibernian Fitba Stats and the only two players to have played with the surname Mackie was an Alex in 1905/6 and Sean.

Maybe played reserve matches or friendlies.

Anyone remember him?
    Looks like he didn't play in the first team at Hibs.
    Might be worth searching for him in Dunfermline sources

Dunfermline released him 31/05/1957

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    another name for the oldies, when i first moved to Bathgate 30 years ago a car mechanic named Norman Petrie told me he(NP) was with Hibs when younger and only Jimmy O'Rourke kept him out of the top team. any historians remember a Norman Petrie(not related to THAT Petrie)

sorry for slight thread hijack

Thank me for all the replies
    Think there were a lot of reserve games in these days, although he thought his dad had played a 1st team game at Hibs
    I’ll try and get a photo of him with Famous 5

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Thank me for all the replies
    Think there were a lot of reserve games in these days, although he thought his dad had played a 1st team game at Hibs
    I’ll try and get a photo of him with Famous 5
    If he’s got a bundle of 50s reserve programmes tell him they’re worthless and I’ll take them off his hands Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    If he’s got a bundle of 50s reserve programmes tell him they’re worthless and I’ll take them off his hands Billy
    Of course, I’ll PM you😀

Left by mutual consent!
    Anyone remember him?
    I can remember Lawrie Reilly talking fondly about Sinclair when visiting the Bowlers Rest.
    I think they were friends and possibly played together at amateur level.

First Team Breakthrough
    Anyone remember him?
    Hi Billy

I can most certainly help you here.

Sinclair Mackie was my boss in BUPA, Erskine House, Queens Street Edinburgh.
    I joined in 1974 and was interviewed by Sinclair for the job (He was always Mr Mackie to me). He was a great boss. He was very focused, firm and fair.
    One day out of the blue he asked me if I liked football and what team I supported. When I told him it was Hibs, his face lit up. He joked at last he had someone in the office who supported a decent team!

He then went on to tell me his story. He told me he was brought up as a Hearts fan. He played juvenile football and played with Lawrie Reilly. He then got the chance to join Hibs and he jumped at it. He told me that's when his love affair with Hibs began. He said it was an unbelievable experience training with and being around "Champions".
    I could be wrong but I think he was a forward and not a goalkeeper. He played regularly for the reserve team but he admitted that it was practically impossible to break into the first team, such was the quality at ER at the time. There was no bitterness from him about this, just a huge admiration how great the Hibs were at the time.

One thing he felt free to express an opinion on was who was the better Famous Five or Terrible Trio or Lawrie Reilly or Willie Bauld? He always stated Terrible Trio and Willie Bauld were fabulous players but The Five and Reilly were just a level above.

One thing I can't remember now is whether he was a University man and played part time. He had to leave Hibs to play at a better level than reserve football and went to Dunfermline possibly part time and then was working for BUPA. I remember there was an elderly lady in the office called Betty H who kept all the newspaper clippings from his Dunfermline days. Such was his success in playing for Dunfermline.

I remember going into the office on the Monday morning in 1975 after the Pat Stanton 95th minute goal at Tynecastle to salvage a point. Two guys in the office Douglas G and G Wood were Hearts fanatics and were still seething and moaning how they were robbed. Sinclair got me in his room and asked me if I was there (told him I was) and he was punching the air and laughing. He then went out and laid into the two of them and told him Hearts were lucky because they caught Hibs on a bad day!

He was also a great golfer and became Captain at Lothianburn GC. If you go into the Evening News photos archive page you will find a photo of him.

Finally......

The night before the greatest cup final in any Hibs fan's life back in May 2016 the TV cameras were in the Hibs shop asking fans what they were buying and what they were hoping for the next day. One particular young mum with her kids was asked the same and and stated the obvious answers and then told the interviewer
    " My grandad Sinclair Mackie played for Hibs "

I almost fell of my chair but realised the Hibs love affair had been passed down. For me it was very emotional.

A great guy an a great Hibby.

Hope this has been of help Billy.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I read the title and thought we were in for another player with two surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    Hi Billy

I joined in 1974 and was interviewed by Sinclair for the job (He was always Mr Mackie to me). He was a great boss. He was very focused, firm and fair.
    One day out of the blue he asked me if I liked football and what team I supported. When I told him it was Hibs, his face lit up. He joked at last he had someone in the office who supported a decent team!

He then went on to tell me his story. He told me he was brought up as a Hearts fan. He played juvenile football and played with Lawrie Reilly. He then got the chance to join Hibs and he jumped at it. He told me that's when his love affair with Hibs began. He said it was an unbelievable experience training with and being around "Champions".
    I could be wrong but I think he was a forward and not a goalkeeper. He played regularly for the reserve team but he admitted that it was practically impossible to break into the first team, such was the quality at ER at the time. There was no bitterness from him about this, just a huge admiration how great the Hibs were at the time.

One thing he felt free to express an opinion on was who was the better Famous Five or Terrible Trio or Lawrie Reilly or Willie Bauld? He always stated Terrible Trio and Willie Bauld were fabulous players but The Five and Reilly were just a level above.

One thing I can't remember now is whether he was a University man and played part time. He had to leave Hibs to play at a better level than reserve football and went to Dunfermline possibly part time and then was working for BUPA. I remember there was an elderly lady in the office called Betty H who kept all the newspaper clippings from his Dunfermline days. Such was his success in playing for Dunfermline.

I remember going into the office on the Monday morning in 1975 after the Pat Stanton 95th minute goal at Tynecastle to salvage a point. Two guys in the office Douglas G and G Wood were Hearts fanatics and were still seething and moaning how they were robbed. Sinclair got me in his room and asked me if I was there (told him I was) and he was punching the air and laughing. He then went out and laid into the two of them and told him Hearts were lucky because they caught Hibs on a bad day!

He was also a great golfer and became Captain at Lothianburn GC. If you go into the Evening News photos archive page you will find a photo of him.

Finally......

The night before the greatest cup final in any Hibs fan's life back in May 2016 the TV cameras were in the Hibs shop asking fans what they were buying and what they were hoping for the next day. One particular young mum with her kids was asked the same and and stated the obvious answers and then told the interviewer

I almost fell of my chair but realised the Hibs love affair had been passed down. For me it was very emotional.

Absolutely John, I’ll pass this onto him
    Thanks for this

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Hi Billy

Finally......

This is the kind of post we need more of around here!

Hi Billy

Finally......

Great post and stores DN, you have some memory!

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Hi Billy

Finally......

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Hi Billy

Finally......

Brilliant post, cheered me up after the weekend!!

I’ve added the photo to the OP
    Hope you can remember a few of these?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Hi Billy

Finally......

brilliant stories

BUPA-I was there....

Hi Billy

Finally......

I worked for BUPA when they were in Dundas Street in the mid to late Eighties. Sinclair, was by that time, his own boss and a font of all knowledge.
    I am pretty sure he was a defender in his day and he loved nothing better than a good blether about Hibs. He brought in a match programme from Gordon Smiths testimonial game when Hibs played Man Utd and scored seven goals against them. Man U were English champions at the time. I was allowed to read it but not to move it out of his sight.
    He certainly loved his golf and although by that time he had health issues, played as much as possible.
    He was not a man to be crossed and had that certain something about him that you see in a lot of driven, successful folk. An aura if you like.
    Loved our chats and, looking back, I wish the mature me could pick his brains for more stories of the greatest era in Hibs history.

Memories.

Hi Billy

Finally......

That's a great story and reminded me of my uncle John Young. He was with Hibs between 1958 to 1962. He played 52 games for the first team and loads for the reserves mostly at centrehalf (ah the old days). He said the same thing about how hard it was to get a game in those days because they were a very good team.
    I lost contact with him after he was in the old NASL (?).

Left by mutual consent!
    Hi Billy

Finally......

Fantastic post and listening to Lawrie Reilly I didn't think he was a goalkeeper.

Can someone please identify all the players on the OP
    Knew a few, but I wasn’t even born then

Quote Originally Posted by plhibs View Post
    That's a great story and reminded me of my uncle John Young. He was with Hibs between 1958 to 1962. He played 52 games for the first team and loads for the reserves mostly at centrehalf (ah the old days). He said the same thing about how hard it was to get a game in those days because they were a very good team.
    I lost contact with him after he was in the old NASL (?).
    Remember John Young. He also played full back and wing half..Very whole hearted.Remember him scoring an absolute snorter in the 7-4 game with Dunfermline.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Remember John Young. He also played full back and wing half..Very whole hearted.Remember him scoring an absolute snorter in the 7-4 game with Dunfermline.
    He was the reason for me supporting Hibs, he took me to nearly every game at E.R. including the reserves, met a lot of the players when they congregated at his house in Dalkeith, they were great times to be a kid.

Great thread with Danish John's post an absolute delight.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 02-03-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Just caught up with this again and must say that Danish John’s post is a masterclass in nice posts.

Hi Billy

Finally......

Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Billy

Finally......

Short listed for post of the year