hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Maggenis

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we can say at this stage whether he's been a good or a poor signing.

Hibs will be disappointed that he hasn't had a run of games but I don't think either the club nor the player would be disappointed in how he's played when he has had time on the pitch.

They'll know exactly where is fitness is, and will have set their expectations accordingly. Disappointment would have come if they'd expected him to be terrific right from the word go and the reality was much different.

My thoughts are that they'll have an idea of what he was reasonably capable of and based their expectations on that.
    I think both Hibs and the player will both be disappointed with how he’s played when he’s been on the pitch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    How are they 2 different things? His contribution/appearances have been poor and therefore, at this point it’s been a poor signing.

Maybe this time next year we’ll see what he offers but to date, it’s minimal at best.
    I will tell you what's two different things, his contributions and his appearances.

His number of appearances is a disappointment.

His contribution when he's played has been ok, nothing special but not hopeless by any manner.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We've signed him on a long contract.

What you are talking about is his form or contribution so far. That is different to whether he is a good signing or not.

There's far more to judging the value of a signing than form, particularly when he has been injured. We are buying his potential, the fact that other teams can't now sign him etc.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he hasn't really contributed, that doesn't mean you have to equate it to a bad signing.
    Surely all that matters is a players form or contribution ? Potential is pointless unless there is a product on the pitch. Based on this season it’s hard to argue he has been anything other than a bad signing. Hopefully moving forward that viewpoint will change though.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We've signed him on a long contract.

What you are talking about is his form or contribution so far. That is different to whether he is a good signing or not.

There's far more to judging the value of a signing than form, particularly when he has been injured. We are buying his potential, the fact that other teams can't now sign him etc.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he hasn't really contributed, that doesn't mean you have to equate it to a bad signing.
    I assume you’re not judging Drey Wright as a poor signing, up to this point, either then? Seeing as we signed him for 2 years, and he’d had a long term injury in the not too distant past as well. We shouldn’t judge him til next season?

Wrights played 22 times, Magennis 15. Should they be judged differently?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I assume you’re not judging Drey Wright as a poor signing, up to this point, either then? Seeing as we signed him for 2 years, and he’d had a long term injury in the not too distant past as well. We shouldn’t judge him til next season?

Instead of labelling players just let them play. If Magennis leaves us for nothing after 4 years because he’s produced nothing then he’ll have been a poor signing. If he goes onto be successful and either produces for us or makes us plenty money then he’ll be a huge success.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Instead of labelling players just let them play. If Magennis leaves us for nothing after 4 years because he’s produced nothing then he’ll have been a poor signing. If he goes onto be successful and either produces for us or makes us plenty money then he’ll be a huge success.
    I wouldn’t really say I’m labelling anyone.

Are you one of the few football fans in the world who never say anything negative about a player? Or is it just about Magennis that we shouldn’t have an opinion?

Look at Van De Beek at Man Utd for a comparison, he’s been a poor signing for Man Utd. It’s not his fault, I’m not saying he’s **** and will never be good enough. I’m just pointing out that he’s not been a good signing. The same as I am with Magennis.

I don’t really understand why that’s in any way controversial? We paid money for a player (we don’t do that particularly often) who hasn’t performed well. Regardless of the reason, it’s been a poor signing so far.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Are you one of the few football fans in the world who never say anything negative about a player? Or is it just about Magennis that we shouldn’t have an opinion?

Look at Van De Beek at Man Utd for a comparison, he’s been a poor signing for Man Utd. It’s not his fault, I’m not saying he’s **** and will never be good enough. I’m just pointing out that he’s not been a good signing. The same as I am with Magennis.

I don’t really understand why that’s in any way controversial? We paid money for a player (we don’t do that particularly often) who hasn’t performed well. Regardless of the reason, it’s been a poor signing so far.
    We actually do these days.

He hasn't performed well? If Al Pacino gets sick and doesn't star in the Godfather films will that go down as a poor performance? Give the boy a change to perform and then lets judge eh.

There’s no need to be negative about him. He’s not been *****, he’s shown enough in his career to be optimistic once injuries are a thing of the past that he’ll be a very good player and therefore a very good signing.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He hasn't performed well? If Al Pacino gets sick and doesn't star in the Godfather films will that go down as a poor performance? Give the boy a change to perform and then lets judge eh.
    If Al Pacino was signed up to star in the films then got sick and didn’t contribute, and they made the films without Michael Corleone, but Pacino was still paid...then yeah I’d say it was a poor signing.

If Al Pacino was signed up to star in the films then got sick and didn’t contribute, and they made the films without Michael Corleone, but Pacino was still paid...then yeah I’d say it was a poor signing.
    But you were talking about his performance. He hasn't performed yet - so once he does that then we can judge him.

Gamer IDs

But you were talking about his performance. He hasn't performed yet - so once he does that then we can judge him.
    He’s played in 15 games, not particularly well.

I’m judging him now, based on his contribution to the team. Dunno how many times I have to say it?

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Those stats on appearances are out of context, Wright has more than double the amount of minutes played than Magennis.

Magennis has only played 400 minutes of football for us, most of which has been off the bench, unlike Wright who has started plenty of games.

IMO, they can and should be judged differently as Wright has played much more football for us, and has been been fit for selection almost the whole season, whereas Magennis has had two separate injuries that each kept him out for several weeks after recovering from his cruciate ligament and now has COVID.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

I’m judging him now, based on his contribution to the team. Dunno how many times I have to say it?
    How many starts has he had in the league, 2?

I don't think he played particularly poorly in either of them from what I remember.

If you're confident enough to be able to properly judge a player based on 10 minute cameo sub appearances then fair enough, but I know I'm certainly not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    How many starts has he had in the league, 2?

I don't think he played particularly poorly in either of them from what I remember.

If you're confident enough to be able to properly judge a player based on 10 minute cameo sub appearances then fair enough, but I know I'm certainly not.
    Ross county and dundee united IRCC. Scored in 1, hit the post in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Ross county and dundee united IRCC. Scored in 1, hit the post in the other.
    Sell him.

Gamer IDs

If it’ll stop folk greeting then I’ll change my mind. He’s actually been a great signing, and money well spent based on what we’ve got out of him.

If it’ll stop folk greeting then I’ll change my mind. He’s actually been a great signing, and money well spent based on what we’ve got out of him.
    Good lad.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Hoo-ah!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Hoo-ah!
    Hibs are signing Al Pacino? 😯

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Al would stiffen up that midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Al would stiffen up that midfield.
    I've changed my mind. We've got enough midfielders as it is.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Sounds good to me.

I've changed my mind. We've got enough midfielders as it is.
    Good luck to Jack with that one. Telling Al Pacino we don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Good luck to Jack with that one. Telling Al Pacino we don't want him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

The Paisley Pacino.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    The Paisley Pacino.
    Sparface

United we stand here....

Some dreadful comments on here. He's coming back from a bad injury, picked up new niggles and contracted covid. Give the lad the support he needs. He's not had a decent run in the side for umpteen reasons but has looked decent from what I've seen. There's more to come so let's get behind him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Serious question but where is he going to play when he does get fit?

I thought he was a centre mid but played the majority out wide for us.

With Irvine, Newell and Gogic hes 4th choice imo. That's what surprises me the most, the fact we spent money on him and I dont think hes any better than what we have.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Some dreadful comments on here. He's coming back from a bad injury, picked up new niggles and contracted covid. Give the lad the support he needs. He's not had a decent run in the side for umpteen reasons but has looked decent from what I've seen. There's more to come so let's get behind him.
    Dreadful. Lol

For all the talk of bounce games, fitness etc, this is what Magennis said when he joined -

“I’ve played 45-minutes with the young boys at St Mirren and am feeling fit. I have been fully training for three or four weeks and I’ll be ready if the gaffer wants to put me in.

“It’s been very difficult having to rehab an ACL but I have done a good job and I am sure that I’m fit.”

Seems he certainly didn’t consider himself nearly as far off it as some on here would have you believe, and that’s before he got an hour as a sub over two games and 60 minutes as a starter twice within 2 weeks of signing.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 04-03-2021 at 07:49 PM.