Just another day on HibsDotNet...

JustAnotherDayOnHibsDotNet.jpg

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just another day on HibsDotNet...

JustAnotherDayOnHibsDotNet.jpg
    You'll need to change your bio, "Ultimate Slaver" should be bestowed upon at least two others.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    We’ll have to agree to disagree. He’s been up to speed enough that Ross thought he has been ready to start 4 different games now, 2 of them in the league and 1 of them a cup semi final so certainly not games that were being treated as bounce games. He was also fit enough after his serious injury to play games in quick succession 2, 5 and 8 days after signing and starting one of them.

I’m sure he’ll not get massively upset at people saying his time at Hibs has been disappointing. As I said earlier, I would very much doubt he wouldn’t admit that himself. People don’t need to get so sensitive about it on his behalf and start using an injury he returned from 5 months ago as an excuse for it.
    I totally agree that if he wasn’t match fit he shouldn’t have started the semi final. Those involved at the club must have thought he was.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Not really had a chance this season with his niggling injuries. Hopefully a good pre season means he’s raring to go. If we get to this time next year and we’re still in the same boat with him I’d probably be a bit more worried

Think he could be a great player for us

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Not really had a chance this season with his niggling injuries. Hopefully a good pre season means he’s raring to go. If we get to this time next year and we’re still in the same boat with him I’d probably be a bit more worried

Agree and good post.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Agree and good post.
    First for everything on both counts haha!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I'm going to stick my neck out at say he's going to be next season's Newell and we'll be raving about him and the impact he's having on the team.

Please feel free to bookmark this and call me out if he turns out to be more of a Vela than a Newell.

He was nowhere near match fit for the semi final. You can't blame him for that though, the management team shoulder the consequences of that.

He certainly hasn't performed at a level id have hoped when we first signed him but he's not really had a change due to his injuries.

The time to judge him will be this time next season.

I still think (or possibly hope) that he will turn out to be a really good signing.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 02-03-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    You'll need to change your bio, "Ultimate Slaver" should be bestowed upon at least two others.

That's a good point

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post

Would it not be more accurate to say you hope he will be a great player for us.
    So far he has shown absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    And I’d already provided an explanation as to why I think he’s shown absolutely nothing.

I am also confident that he’ll be a great player for us. Not through anything he’s shown so far but due to the fact the club tried so hard to secure his signature for some time

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We BOUGHT St Mirrens captain, their best player after he had a cruciate injury. He's had a stop start time at Hibs, because he's had a number of muscle injuries, probably attributed to his recovery from that cruciate.

Now Covid, he's not had it easy. To be perfectly honest, i'd never took any notice of him at St Mirren, but he needs a run of games to get fit, get match fit and get confident his body has recovered sufficiently to let him play and express himself without worry.

I dont think now is the time to judge him.

Not true.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Not true.
    For Hibs? It is true.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We BOUGHT St Mirrens captain, their best player after he had a cruciate injury. He's had a stop start time at Hibs, because he's had a number of muscle injuries, probably attributed to his recovery from that cruciate.

Now Covid, he's not had it easy. To be perfectly honest, i'd never took any notice of him at St Mirren, but he needs a run of games to get fit, get match fit and get confident his body has recovered sufficiently to let him play and express himself without worry.

I dont think now is the time to judge him.
    Pretty much nailed it.

5 pages on a player who hasnt even had a chance to start his Hibs career is pretty special. Imagine once he get fit!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    5 pages on a player who hasnt even had a chance to start his Hibs career is pretty special. Imagine once he get fit!
    I’m only speaking for myself, but I’d imagine everyone who thinks he’s been a disappointing signing, would still say they can’t wait for him to be fit and doing what he’s capable of.

It’s not his fault he’s been injured.

For me, the club knew he was injured, we don’t have a budget that’s big enough we can spend money on someone who can’t play. Budget should have been used better.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’m only speaking for myself, but I’d imagine everyone who thinks he’s been a disappointing signing, would still say they can’t wait for him to be fit and doing what he’s capable of.

For me, the club knew he was injured, we don’t have a budget that’s big enough we can spend money on someone who can’t play. Budget should have been used better.
    Depends. As it turns out once his loan finished Greg Docherty was out of our price range. If we got a player who we couldn’t afford normally because we’ve taken him a year before the optimal time and still have four years of him then that’s good business IMO.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The club has to plan longer term, though. They cant just sign short term solutions. Its clear from our league performance we can afford him, because we're currently on course for an excellent league season.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The club has to plan longer term, though. They cant just sign short term solutions. Its clear from our league performance we can afford him, because we're currently on course for an excellent league season.
    We are on course for an excellent season, but that doesn’t mean everything has been excellent.

Drey Wright has been a poor signing. He might end up doing brilliant. Who knows? Doesn’t mean he’s been a good signing to this point, just because the season has gone well. Same applies to the signing of Magennis.

Left by mutual consent!
    For Hibs? It is true.
    The lads pretty much missed 18 months of football. Not a great signing to date, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Agreed. It would be shortsighted to dismiss potentially good signings simply because they are injured.

For Hibs? It is true.

Well I can’t make you appreciate the difference between a good player and an average one.

In his few appearances so far I’ve seen the way Magennis shows for the ball and the way he receives the ball, and I’m satisfied we’ve got a proper footballer here.

It’s all about him getting in the best shape physically now.

Gamer IDs

Well I can’t make you appreciate the difference between a good player and an average one.

In his few appearances so far I’ve seen the way Magennis shows for the ball and the way he receives the ball, and I’m satisfied we’ve got a proper footballer here.

It’s all about him getting in the best shape physically now.
    I don’t need you to explain what a good footballer is, thanks very much. I’ve also never said anything disparaging about Magennis ability as a footballer.

He’s not been a good signing. We paid a relatively large amount of money, for Hibs, for someone who’s not contributed anything so far.

Coaching Staff
    I don’t need you to explain what a good footballer is, thanks very much. I’ve also never said anything disparaging about Magennis ability as a footballer.

He’s not been a good signing. We paid a relatively large amount of money, for Hibs, for someone who’s not contributed anything so far.
    His contribution so far and whether or not he has been a good signing are two different things.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    His contribution so far and whether or not he has been a good signing are two different things.
    I completely disagree. I expect our signings to contribute to the the team. That’s why we should sign them, and that’s what the success or failure of a signing should be judged on.

If he’s good next season, which is entirely possible, I’ll change my opinion on the signing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    How are they 2 different things? His contribution/appearances have been poor and therefore, at this point it’s been a poor signing.

Maybe this time next year we’ll see what he offers but to date, it’s minimal at best.

@hibs.net private member
    For Hibs? It is true.
    Maggenis has shown quality in flashes - not as much as we might have hoped at this stage but it's been there.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    How are they 2 different things? His contribution/appearances have been poor and therefore, at this point it’s been a poor signing.

Maybe this time next year we’ll see what he offers but to date, it’s minimal at best.
    I don't think we can say at this stage whether he's been a good or a poor signing.

Hibs will be disappointed that he hasn't had a run of games but I don't think either the club nor the player would be disappointed in how he's played when he has had time on the pitch.

They'll know exactly where is fitness is, and will have set their expectations accordingly. Disappointment would have come if they'd expected him to be terrific right from the word go and the reality was much different.

My thoughts are that they'll have an idea of what he was reasonably capable of and based their expectations on that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff
    I completely disagree. I expect our signings to contribute to the the team. That’s why we should sign them, and that’s what the success or failure of a signing should be judged on.

If he’s good next season, which is entirely possible, I’ll change my opinion on the signing.
    We've signed him on a long contract.

What you are talking about is his form or contribution so far. That is different to whether he is a good signing or not.

There's far more to judging the value of a signing than form, particularly when he has been injured. We are buying his potential, the fact that other teams can't now sign him etc.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he hasn't really contributed, that doesn't mean you have to equate it to a bad signing.