hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Doig, did we miss him yesterday

Did we miss him and would he have made a difference yesterday ? My own opinion is probably a bit of yes and no.

I noticed firstly early on in the game when Stevenson got the ball just inside the Well half he elected to pass the ball back rather than hit the flank and fire in a cross, Stevenson did pop a few balls in but I just felt his link up with Murphy was pretty much non existent.

Im not knocking Stevenson by the way, he is a different player to Doig but I just feel we would have probably been a bit stronger down that left flank had he been playing.

The no part is the rest of the team and how disjointed we were for most of that game, only hibs eh 😆

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We certainly did yesterday when JR had the brain fart of playing Cadden there and robbing us of any threat down that side.

@hibs.net private member
    I still think we would have lost the game but he would have made a difference.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We certainly did yesterday when JR had the brain fart of playing Cadden there and robbing us of any threat down that side.
    Was no less of a threat than Murphy or Stevenson down the left, was always going to be Boyle or Cadden going out wide left and Boyle is better on the right

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Made no sense imo to bring Cadden left and take Stevenson off when Lewis imo was one of our better players. Personally would have taken NcGinn off and put Cadden there whether right back or RCB. Cadden barely touched the ball second half.

Cadden is a decent, versatile player in that he can play a few roles down the right side. He might be able to play centrally but I don’t think we’ve seen him there yet.

He was very poor on the left yesterday. And I’m not convinced he knows how to play there. Motherwell, unsurprisingly knew exactly how to nullify him there.

Very poor decision from Ross and a bad afternoon for Cadden.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Was no less of a threat than Murphy or Stevenson down the left, was always going to be Boyle or Cadden going out wide left and Boyle is better on the right
    I thought Lewis done ok first half and actually put in a few decent crosses. Cadden could have played where McGinn did imo. Personally like players on the side of their stronger foot especially wing back role.

Yes we missed him he's an exciting young attacking wingback, love Lewis to bits and he'll be the 1st to say he's not naturally an attacking threat, also he's said on camera that he realises he's in the twilight of his career and Doig is the future just like he was back in that League cup final but it was evident yesterday that the game slowed when the ball was played down the left, I could count on one hand the number of times Lewis got over the halfway line.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I thought Lewis done ok first half and actually put in a few decent crosses. Cadden could have played where McGinn did imo. Personally like players on the side of their stronger foot especially wing back role.
    Yip Stevenson done ok, certainly wasn't the worst player on the park, could see why JR changed things about, just didn't work

Of course we want our first 11 on the field every game, and Doig is part of that now. But we have to hope the loss of an 18 year old, newbie defender is not the difference between winning and losing, as that would pathetic.

Far too many players took the day off - they were simply not as motivated to win their battles or the game as Motherwell players. Whether that's down to Jack Ross or the individuals, who knows ? But it does explain why some of these guys are at Hibs and not playing at a higher level.

@hibs.net private member
    For all Doig was brilliant last week his crossing was poor and the balls Lewis put in, before he was bizarrely replaced by Cadden, were far more threatening. We did miss the spark Doig gives with his speed and enthusiasm but I think the main issues were elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    For all Doig was brilliant last week his crossing was poor and the balls Lewis put in, before he was bizarrely replaced by Cadden, were far more threatening. We did miss the spark Doig gives with his speed and enthusiasm but I think the main issues were elsewhere
    Agree with that.

I would have put Cadden to RB replacing McGinn who was poor and gone with a back 4.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    We lost it in the middle. Doig is a decent player, but it wasn't his absence which was to blame.

Gogic's place on the bench did that.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

There was a distinct lack of pace and drive on our left which made it easier for Motherwell to make defensive decisions. McGinn needs a rest and should have been taken off at half time and Cadden tried there .Moving Cadden to the left was pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    There was a distinct lack of pace and drive on our left which made it easier for Motherwell to make defensive decisions. McGinn needs a rest and should have been taken off at half time and Cadden tried there .Moving Cadden to the left was pointless.
    Really wasn't pointless, he brings that pace and drive to the right hand side so why not try it on the left, it just didn't work out

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I would have put Cadden to RB replacing McGinn who was poor and gone with a back 4.
    Agree did we ever go to back 4 yesterday seemed even 2nd half we were playing 3. Personally would have gone back 4 maybe just after first goal as we were struggling both at the back and midfield. Could have went 442 to see if that worked if not play one up and try and win more in the middle. One of the problems in midfield imo is that Murphy doesn't really play as a 3 in the middle more of a number 10 and we got outnumbered. In saying that couldn't believe how poor both Newell and Irvine played. Joe in particular seemed way off for some reason maybe he was one of the players struggling with injury.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I agree with that. McGinn has been nowhere near as impressive over the last couple of months as he was in the early part of his Hibs career. Moving Cadden to the left was bonkers. He offered far less than Lewis did and while he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire Drey Wright has played there and was sat on the bench. Cadden actually looked as likely to score, when on the right, as anyone yesterday although his finishing was poor too. That would have changed with Motherwell sitting back but the sub really didn't make any sense.

Is Mackie still injured?

I agree with that. McGinn has been nowhere near as impressive over the last couple of months as he was in the early part of his Hibs career. Moving Cadden to the left was bonkers. He offered far less than Lewis did and while he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire Drey Wright has played there and was sat on the bench. Cadden actually looked as likely to score, when on the right, as anyone yesterday although his finishing was poor too. That would have changed with Motherwell sitting back but the sub really didn't make any sense.

He was never outstanding but a bit like Lewis he's always been a steady 6.5-7 every week, hopefully it's not the curse of an extended contract at play again
    You have to remember what team he came from and his age, he's not going to get any better and he's 30 yrs old now so no spring chicken, maybe Cadden is seen as the future RWB for Hibs.

He was never outstanding but a bit like Lewis he's always been a steady 6.5-7 every week, hopefully it's not the curse of an extended contract at play again
    You have to remember what team he came from and his age, he's not going to get any better and he's 30 yrs old now so no spring chicken, maybe Cadden is seen as the future RWB for Hibs.

Did mcginn not sign his new contract about a year ago?

Edit - October last year

@hibs.net private member
    When did McGinn sign his contract extension mate ? Apologies if I missed it, I do recall he signed an extension a while back, is this the one we are discussing ?

Is Mackie still injured?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don’t remember him passing the ball forward once second half. Cut back on to his right and played it backwards or sideways.

Lewis got forward and put in a few crosses first half.

Did mcginn not sign his new contract about a year ago?

Edit - October last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    When did McGinn sign his contract extension mate ? Apologies if I missed it, I do recall he signed an extension a while back, is this the one we are discussing ?

9th October last year which keeps him here till end of next season.

Without Doig, yet again I don't think we offer much down the left which has been a problem for a good few years now at hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Without Doig, yet again I don't think we offer much down the left which has been a problem for a good few years now at hibs.
    Most of our best chances came from the left. Lewis's crosses were excellent.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I didnt see the game yesterday, so my opinion is more generally based than specifically about yesterdays game. I really rate Josh and I think we are lacking going forward without him in the team, its kind of like Liverpool with out AA or Robertson. We lose most of our attacking threat down the left without him and look unbalanced.

Aye, felt like we missed Josh massively. He brings a sense of urgency on the ball, and we were lacking that yesterday.

Is Mackie still injured?