hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scott Brown

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Not for me. Not seen anything from him on the pitch in the last eighteen months to think he's at the level we require any longer.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What reason is the to sign him, though? Like, I just don't get it. He's washed up and not the type we've signed for years.

I think the main reason folk want him is because he would shout a bit and has a skin head so he looks like this magical ''leader'' type that we apparently need. I just don't get it at all. We're gonna be playing 3 games a week next season. We need young, hungry fit players. We have plenty of experience already.

Tbh I have my doubts about him returning now.

A bit like Kenny Miller - would have liked it to happen but with each year that passed it became less and less appealing.

However, there is no doubt that Scott does have leadership qualities - something that many people say we lack on the park. And if we are playing more games we will need a deeper squad.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    What reason is the to sign him, though? Like, I just don't get it. He's washed up and not the type we've signed for years.

I think the main reason folk want him is because he would shout a bit and has a skin head so he looks like this magical ''leader'' type that we apparently need. I just don't get it at all. We're gonna be playing 3 games a week next season. We need young, hungry fit players. We have plenty of experience already.
    He’s played 34 times this season for a team that’s 15 points clear of us. He’s got a huge amount of European football experience. He’s a leader on the park and we’ll need a big squad next season if we finish 3rd.

We also have plenty young energetic players, it’s about finding the balance.

The question of the cost is relevant but to suggest people would only want us to sign him because he’s got a skin head and shouts is just nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Tbh I have my doubts about him returning now.

A bit like Kenny Miller - would have liked it to happen but with each year that passed it became less and less appealing.

However, there is no doubt that Scott does have leadership qualities - something that many people say we lack on the park. And if we are playing more games we will need a deeper squad.
    People have been saying for weeks McGregor was a leader and what we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    He’s played 34 times this season for a team that’s 15 points clear of us. He’s got a huge amount of European football experience. He’s a leader on the park and we’ll need a big squad next season if we finish 3rd.

The question of the cost is relevant but to suggest people would only want us to sign him because he’s got a skin head and shouts is just nonsense.
    Marciano, Lewis, Hanlon, McGregor, Irvine, Boyle, Doidge all have hundreds of games of experience and started on Saturday. None of them are young. Its probably more hungry, young players we need.

If you put Celtics best team around Jackson Irvine, or Alex Gogic they'd still be 15 clear of us. It is very little to do with the current incarnation of Brown. Most Celtic fans want Turnbull and Soro in there instead of him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    Anyone think he could make a useful contribution to Hibs as a player, should the chance arise for him to give something back?
    His time has passed and age has caught up with him. Maybe two years ago the answer would be different but not now. We need someone mobile in the middle.

As a coach maybes, as a player no...canbae stand players that wear a strip 2 sizes too tight just to look hard especially combined with shorts that are so small your gonnads are put into reverse😉😉😉

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    Hi legs are gone, no thanks
    Strange how Celtic's own players say different.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Not for me. Not that he isn't still a very good player, but this would be more of a vanity signing for both parties.

People have been saying for weeks McGregor was a leader and what we needed.

And they were right. There was a noticeable and immediate improvement when he came into the team.

However he’s not a young man anymore and the Motherwell match was maybe a game too far for him.

Not sure what point you are making??
    Last edited by jacomo; 01-03-2021 at 04:15 PM.

And they were right. There was a noticeable and immediate improvement when he came into the team.

However he’s not a young man anyhow and the Motherwell match was maybe a game too far for him.

Not sure what point you are making??
    The leader effect is vastly overrated IMO. Our form with McGregor and defensive record wasn't better than the begining of the season. I don't think it was a game too far for him, he just didn't have a good game, that happens.

The point is, we don't need more of this leader type. Or x, or y. We need quality footballers and *****ing big wages on a 36 year old Brown would not be a good idea. Irvine, Allan, Gogic, Newall and Magennis is a really good central midfield. When they've all had a pre season I'm quite happy with them.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Strange how Celtic's own players say different.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Why is it strange?, do you expect the Celtic players to come out and say aye our captains legs are gone

The leader effect is vastly overrated IMO. Our form with McGregor and defensive record wasn't better than the begining of the season. I don't think it was a game too far for him, he just didn't have a good game, that happens.

The point is, we don't need more of this leader type. Or x, or y. We need quality footballers and *****ing big wages on a 36 year old Brown would not be a good idea. Irvine, Allan, Gogic, Newall and Magennis is a really good central midfield. When they've all had a pre season I'm quite happy with them.

Fair enough, if that’s your opinion, although even I who have only played team sport at a very low level have seen the value of leadership on the pitch. It’s difficult to define but easy to see the benefits.

As for wages, you don’t know how much Scott would ask for. As has been pointed out elsewhere, KT played for free for a while.

Also, Scott gave a portion of his agreed transfer to us when he left, so despite your views on him, he’s already given Hibs more cash than you or I have.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I love brown and it would be a nostalgic reminder of the teenaged kicks era.

bit I’m afraid his time has gone. If he was interested in a coaching career I’d like to see him involved in our club somewhere though

Fair enough, if that’s your opinion, although even I who have only played team sport at a very low level have seen the value of leadership on the pitch. It’s difficult to define but easy to see the benefits.

As for wages, you don’t know how much Scott would ask for. As has been pointed out elsewhere, KT played for free for a while.

Also, Scott gave a portion of his agreed transfer to us when he left, so despite your views on him, he’s already given Hibs more cash than you or I have.
    Yes, but how much leadership do you acutally need? And is it worth it to have, IMO, a liability on the pitch because he is a leader? The fact Gray hasn't featured this season says to me it isn't.

Brown is on big wages at Celtic, much bigger than Thomson would've been on at Boro and Thomson had been free for a while. Hibs couldn't afford to pay Thomson anything.

Thats great. Hes also celebrated a lot more goals against Hibs than you or I. Neither are really relevant.

Totally agree, he was a brilliant player for Hibs and as you rightly said, gave a good chunk of his transfer fee back to the club (I think it was towards youth development), and whereas some people might dismiss that as irrelevant I certainly don't. Although I'm not and have never been a fan of Celtic, he's had a great career, and if he was willing to go to Hibs then I'd take him in an instant, even if it was only for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

This .. we have lacked leadership on the park at times this season for example...

If he was coming back to play in the kind of team he first broke into then I’d say yes. With good runners all around him, maybe a wee bit naive and needing his experience I think he could still be an excellent player.

Whilst I don’t think we have a bad side it is a bit one paced, it already has a few elder statesmen and a few players permanently “coming back from injury”.

I think he’d be hung out to dry in our team.

So no.

Left by mutual consent!
    Would be paying a good wage to another player at the end of their career.