hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Confirmation

Confirmation

Yet another game that proves there is very little between the best of the rest or the worst depending on how you look at it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet another game that proves there is very little between the best of the rest or the worst depending on how you look at it.
    On a game by game basis perhaps but over the whole season, the points won would say differently.

I tend to agree, and you could almost group Celtic in with those teams.

I don’t really feel confident facing anyone yet I’d be fairly confident we’d make a game of it with anyone and I’d be surprised if the fans of many teams felt differently.

Our wins don’t really convince and we’ve been well beaten as often as we’ve beaten other teams well.

Points are what matters though and our points tally would suggest we’re doing something right.

It doesn’t look to me like there’s much between the teams this year at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    On a game by game basis perhaps but over the whole season, the points won would say differently.
    Agree the points we have won suggest we have been more consistent but I never get the impression that any game against any opposition is a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I tend to agree, and you could almost group Celtic in with those teams.

I don’t really feel confident facing anyone yet I’d be fairly confident we’d make a game of it with anyone and I’d be surprised if the fans of many teams felt differently.

Our wins don’t really convince and we’ve been well beaten as often as we’ve beaten other teams well.

Points are what matters though and our points tally would suggest we’re doing something right.

It doesn’t look to me like there’s much between the teams this year at all.
    Admit to being irked by predictions that suggest a walkover because a team is well below us in the league.

It's really always been this way.

Any team in the league between 3rd and 12th is capable of taking points of another on a week to week basis. It's why Aberdeen have been on such a bad run and it's why we have had runs of 3 and 4 games without a win as well. It's what happens over the course of the season that matters though and despite the notable defeats that we have all had a moan about we have been more consistent at picking up points than others.

I agree with the general point though. Whilst there are certain games I expect us to win I'd be lying if I said I felt confident going into most games. We have seen this season that nothing is a gimme.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Admit to being irked by predictions that suggest a walkover because a team is well below us in the league.
    Glad I'm not the only one 😁 I've got more than a few mental scars watching Hibs over the years.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I cant remember when i last felt we were certain to win any game, probably under Mowbray?

Yet i do think we've got a squad of players who over the course of the season should be good enough for a European spot, and expect them to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I cant remember when i last felt we were certain to win any game, probably under Mowbray?

Yet i do think we've got a squad of players who over the course of the season should be good enough for a European spot, and expect them to achieve that.
    Once you get to a certain age nothing surprises you!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Tell that to my underpants ..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aye that's true.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Mowbrays team could also turn in an awful performance right when you felt we were really putting a run of form together.

This is nothing new!

First Team Breakthrough
    Yeah I agree with this comment.On another thread there were folk predicting an easy win yesterday.There are very few easy games in this League particularly when nearly every club has some thing at stake be it avoiding relegation/ playoffs.Top six bottom six ,and for ourselves the European places.Points are hard earned and yesterday Motherwell looked like they wanted the win more than us.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Mowbrays team could also turn in an awful performance right when you felt we were really putting a run of form together.

This is nothing new!
    Yip, but i remember going to many games thinking we are certain to win today, and while we didnt win them all, it's how i felt at that time.

Left by mutual consent!

Yes, under Mowbray we would blow away lesser teams in first 30 mins and have the game won a lot of times. We also knew going to games we'd rattle the Old Firm from the start. But, there would be the odd daft loss from nowhere.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    The difference between the worst team in the SPL and the "best of the rest" is 28points. The difference between Hibs and Motherwell is 20 points. The league doesn't lie, as much as some Hibs fans seem to want to suggest is does. Weare currently the third best club in Scotland, but that could change by the end of the season if our form tails off. That's how football works.

Outside of the top two places the SPL is a very competitive league which in my opinion is a good thing. Hibs have a bigger budget than some other teams, but not that much bigger and no matter what your budget, you're only allowed 11 players on the pitch at a time ( except for Rangers, Celtic and occasionally Hearts who can also count the Ref as part of their team). It's 11 professional footballers against another 11, all playing for similar wages. Hibs won't win every match we play...ever. I find is astonishing that so many Hibs "fans" on here, on facebook and on Twitter find this fact difficult to accept.

Left by mutual consent!

I’m sure there was a week in between going to Celtic park and winning 3-1 (first time I seen hibs win in Glasgow) and pumping Hearts at Tynie Deano winner game. We lost 3-0 at home to Livi under Paul Lambert, kachoul who played for West Ham was the best player I’ve ever seen at Easter road since a couple of the Aek team.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agree the points we have won suggest we have been more consistent but I never get the impression that any game against any opposition is a formality.
    Yeah i get that, as mentioned by a few i can’t mind when i ever felt confident we were going to win. There’s always hope though. Saying that my bit of doubt has been misplaced by so many positive results, hence the impressive points total so far 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Yes, under Mowbray we would blow away lesser teams in first 30 mins and have the game won a lot of times. We also knew going to games we'd rattle the Old Firm from the start. But, there would be the odd daft loss from nowhere.
    We also had some of the best young players the country has seen, who went onto win over 200 Scotland caps, around 20 league titles, well over 10 league and Scottish cups, and also FA cups and Russian cups.

Forgive me for thinking this team might be slightly worse than that one.

Far more chance of Hibs or Aberdeen losing to St Johnstone or Hamilton than Hibs or Aberdeen beating one of the old firm