hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Motherwell 27 02 21)

The lead up to today’s game brought some really good news when it was announced that Josh Doig and Joe Newell had signed extended and new contracts, respectively. Unfortunately, the good news disappeared following a truly dismal performance from Hibs in going down 2-0 at home to lowly Motherwell. Make no mistake, this was a horror show from a lacklustre Hibs but to Motherwell’s credit they got their tactics and application 100% spot on, making the assertion by some that they were there for the taking, simply nonsense.

With the chance to extend their unbeaten run, Jack Ross made only one change to his starting line up; Doig out injured with Stevenson getting a start at left wingback. Young Bradley got the vacant seat on what looked a strong bench.

The start of the game was uninspiring as both sides struggled to get a foothold on the game but as the minutes ticked by it was apparent that Motherwell were not here to defend deep and hit on the break. Tony Watt was proving a handful for Hibs and his headed pass to Cole offered an opening for a shot, but McGregor reacted quickly to block the effort. Five minutes later, Stevenson swung over an excellent cross which Doidge couldn’t quite reach before Boyle reacted fractionally too late and steered a headed attempt wide. Soon after, the ball reached Cadden wide right at the edge of the penalty area and his fantastic drive cleared the bar when it looked as though the ball might find the top corner.

Motherwell began to dictate the play with our midfield men being dominated. The visitors created three good chances in succession with the first witnessing Watt hitting the side netting after being played in by Carroll. Next, Allan Campbell swung a boot at a rising ball when just ten yards from goal but a magnificent block challenge by McGregor ensured the shot would not be on target. Cole was next to try his luck but once again the effort was blocked. Sadly, Hibs did not heed the obvious warning signs and in the twenty fifth minute the visitors took the lead. Tony Watt pushed the ball towards the Hibs goal with the outside of his right foot and Jordan Roberts held off Hanlon before slotting the ball past the advancing Marciano. Just sixty seconds later, Campbell missed the chance to double the lead by screwing the ball wide of the post.

Hibs were all at sea and couldn’t seem to put together any meaningful passage of possession. Murphy was anonymous and Newell and Irvine looked extremely ordinary when set against Campbell, Maguire and Crawford in the Motherwell engine room. A blocked effort by Cadden was an isolated incident in a period of the game when Hibs needed to get their act together and play with more pace and aggression.

Ten minutes from the break, Campbell again tried his luck but pulled his shot wide, much to the relief of a static Hibs defence. On the odd occasion that Hibs managed to get the ball wide, decent crosses from Stevenson and Cadden met with little success as Doidge was often ploughing a lonely furrow up front. The lack of support to him, particularly from Murphy and Irvine was really quite alarming if truth be told.

Reaching the interval just a goal behind offered hope that Jack Ross would sort them out and get them on the front foot but whatever he might have said there was no chance to witness any noticeable difference because sixty seconds in, weak defending allowed Cole to make the space to easily slot the ball past an exposed Marciano.

Just five minutes into the half, Jack Ross made a triple substitution by bringing on Nisbet, Gogic and Porteous at the expense of Murphy, McGregor and Stevenson. In all honesty any of the ten outfield players could have had little complaint if they’d been hooked, so poor were we performing. Inside sixty seconds of the subs being made, Irvine slotted a nice pass through to Doidge, but the big fella was caught offside and not for the first time. At the other end, the tireless Tony Watt saw a header deflected wide before Hibs tried their luck again when Doidge got free on the right of the box, but his low effort was blocked by Kelly in the Motherwell goal. It was a decent chance but fair play to the goalkeeper. Soon after, a Boyle corner evaded everyone, and the ball reached Newell at the angle of the eighteen yard box. Joe took a touch, steadied himself and crashed his effort into the side netting and that instance highlights just why he doesn’t score enough goals. It was a good chance, and he wasn’t closed down, but the effort was poor when hitting the target looked easier.

With twenty minutes to go, Doidge missed another good chance by firing the ball straight at the advancing keeper when a squared pass might well have found the unmarked Nisbet in the middle. Motherwell were defending deeper now but still breaking when the chance arose, and Cole might have done better with an effort that was blocked by Porteous. Fifteen minutes to go and a Nisbet shot is easily saved but a few minutes later, Doidge missed an absolute sitter from inside the six yard box. A cross from the right was missed by a Motherwell player and Doidge poked a foot at it but hit the keeper with the ball spinning into the air where the Hibs man tried to jump and force the ball home with a header, but he steered it wide of the target.

In an attempt to prise open a well drilled defence, Jack Ross replaced Irvine with Scott Allan but try as he might, the new man just couldn’t offer that little piece of magic. For the last fifteen to twenty minutes of the game the tactic seemed to be to get the ball out wide to Boyle so that Martin could offer up crosses to be attacked by Doidge and Nisbet. Unfortunately, Boyle’s sterling efforts came to naught because Motherwell simply doubled up in marking him and no Hibs man seemed willing to go out and help.

Hibs huffed and puffed their way to the final whistle and though they made a couple of chances, neither was taken, the last of which saw Scott Allan pick out Nisbet, inside the eighteen yard line but was fired miles over the bar.

It was a relief when the final whistle was blown and a stark reminder that regardless of league position, there are no easy games in this league. Motherwell deserved the points as they were the better team by some distance and the only bright spot was that Aberdeen also lost and so the points difference remains the same with another game having been played by each side.

The players

Marciano – Rocky was beaten twice but neither goal was his fault as his defensive colleagues let him down badly.

McGinn – Paul is usually quite a solid performer, but he looked well below his best today.

McGregor – Daz made at least two vital block challenges today but I’m wondering if he was one of the five reportedly having struggled with knocks. His substitution might offer some explanation as I don’t think he was playing all that badly.

Hanlon – Tony Watt is often mocked on here but today he was a constant thorn in the side of Paul Hanlon who struggled throughout with the Motherwell man’s strength and close ball control. Contrast his performance with that of Christian Doidge.

Cadden – I thought Chris had a decent first half but was miles off it in the second. He was very unlucky that his fierce first half effort cleared the crossbar because had it been on target, Kelly was getting nowhere near it.

Irvine – An ordinary and disappointing performance from him and I expect so much better. He doesn’t seem to know whether his focus is defence or attack and was often caught in no man’s land.

Newell – The curse of the new contract. Seems every time a player signs a new contract their form dips. Joe was largely anonymous and but for his endless passes sideways and backwards his completion rate would have taken a pounding today.

Stevenson – Lewis was never going to give us the mobility we get from Doig but he’s a good, steady and reliable player who, for my money, was the best of a bad bunch in the first half.

Murphy – I said above that he was anonymous, and I will say it again – he was anonymous.

Boyle – Service to Boyle today was poor and there was no attempt to slide the ball behind the defence to let him run through. To his credit, he launched virtually a one man comeback attempt in the second half and never took his foot off the gas. A lot of poor performances throughout today but Boyler kept going to the end and gets my man of the match award.

Doidge – Over the last few weeks I’ve tried to emphasise the value he brings to the side but let’s be honest his main job is to score goals and he hasn’t been doing that. The chances, and they were good chances, he missed today were pretty awful. Chris needs to find the net again and soon.

Nisbet – Got the bulk of the second half but pretty much offered nothing of note. His late miss was horrendous.

Gogic – Brought some bite to the midfield but by that time Motherwell were 2-0 up and their midfield dropped ten yards to help defend that lead.

Porteous – I actually think Ryan did quite well but then there was little to do by way of defending for most of the second half.

Allan – The only plus was his getting of more match minutes.

Jack Ross – I’ve just read his comments on the BBC site and have to say they mystify me. We were outplayed for virtually the entire game and though we had a lot of the ball in the second half we presented no real threat to Motherwell picking up the points.

Referee – Alan Muir. Easy game to handle and no big decisions to make.

As an aside, I found watching Alex Miller laughing and joking today to be kinda scary
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Brave on you Jonnyboy to write such a detailed report
    I missed the first 15 mins as I was out shopping, wish I’d missed the rest of the game too
    Absolutely no plus points today at all, lacklustre, and almost a sense of laziness all over the park

No interview from Jack post match either, he’s obviously not happy, but the fans are even unhappier than him

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brave on you Jonnyboy to write such a detailed report
    I missed the first 15 mins as I was out shopping, wish I’d missed the rest of the game too
    Absolutely no plus points today at all, lacklustre, and almost a sense of laziness all over the park

No interview from Jack post match either, he’s obviously not happy, but the fans are even unhappier than him
    It's on the BBC website now...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56226264

So just a bad day at the office then? 😁

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Thanks but I meant on Hibspass

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Miles off the pace seems very odd to have so many injuries as didn't look like anyone got injured last week. Our play out of possession was horrible. No pressure on them when they had it. Thought we would have maybe dropped points but not like that. Big opportunity missed to consolidate third. Will lose many more points if play like that again.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    So just a bad day at the office then? 😁

Awful day at the tattie field.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Thanks again for a great write up JB.

I’m going to stick my neck out and say it wasn’t that bad a performance from us, except that Jamie Murphy offered little initially and the strikers fluffed all their chances.

I’ve seen worse from us this season, for sure.

Motherwell were good and deserve a bit of credit. We were flat and nothing came off for us.

Disappointing but we are closer to finishing 3rd than we were this morning, because we are one match closer to the end of the season and Aberdeen aren’t any closer to us.

Cheers JB. Anonymous will be the most used word across the individual player reviews, including Boyle first half.
    The writing was on the wall when with less than six minutes on the clock, three times the ball had been knocked ineffectively between the midfield, ending up back-passed to MacGregor who hoofed speculative balls forward. Three times inside six minutes. He is not our playmaker!! Not blaming just him for that though. The midfield blend did not work, certainly not until the changes. Was that just today? Maybe. But I think if Gogic had started we would not have been so open to their praiseworthy attacking threat.
    For me Gogic has got to start. I'd still like to persist with Newell and Irvine in there, Doig and Cadden WBs, and Nisbet and Boyle up top with lots of movement to stretch defences. Murphy is too hot and cold. Effing freezing today. Doidge - see the other thread in his name.
    A bad day at the office. They happen. We are a good team. We are better than today's result.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Although we've had some very good league results this season, there's too many of these games now when the entire team just don't turn up and look like they canny be be bothered.

Teams outside the OF will always have poor results from time to time, but to be so completely off the pace in these games suggests something is not right in their preparation or mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Although we've had some very good league results this season, there's too many of these games now when the entire team just don't turn up and look like they canny be be bothered.

Teams outside the OF will always have poor results from time to time, but to be so completely off the pace in these games suggests something is not right in their preparation or mindset.
    It’s got to be an attitude problem. Or mentality or however you want to describe it. And it generally happens when we’ve been doing all right as well. There is always talk of not needing certain players against certain teams but there have been enough of this type of game at ER now, surely, to realise that’s not the case. It feels like the players just think they can turn up for games like this as well though.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Love your posts but I have to disagree about daz. Stalwart for about a month but absolutely dreadful today. Looked like he hadn’t played in 20 years today

Awful

Marciano ... 6 .... A save at either goal would have been great, but horribly exposed both times so no blame on him, didn't do anything wrong in the game.

McGinn .... 5 .... Possibly his worst game in a Hibs shirt, contributed nothing going forward and nowhere to be seen at either goal.

McGregor .... 6 .... A brilliant block at one point, but has to accept he was part of an awful defence today.

Hanlon .... 6 .... Didn't really have any individual calamities, but also part of that awful defence.

Stevenson .... 6 .... Actually put in a couple of decent crosses, probably the pick of the back 4, which isn't saying much today.

Newell ... 6 ... Got involved a lot, but to little effect and should have done far better with a decent chance, his shooting reminds me of Dylan McGeouch and that's not a compliment.

Irvine ... 5 .... His least effective performance in a Hibs shirt.

Murphy ... 4 .... Non existant.

Cadden .... 6 .... I thought he was playing right back at one point in the first half he was so deep, making a habit of crashing super shots wide of goal, overall as ineffective as most of his colleagues.

Doidge ... 4 .... If the role of striker in this team really is is to not score then I'm more than willing to step up and do his job for a quarter of the money, I'm well capable.

Boyle ... 7 .... Even though he didn't create as much as he tried to at least he never stopped trying, as the OP said it was a one man mission to try and make something happen, fair play to him, the only player to emerge from that dross with any credibility.

SUBS:

Nisbet .... 5 .... Had a couple of nice touches 40 yards from goal, but at the moment he looks anything but a 3 million quid striker, a poor free kick and an awful shot didn't help.

Gogic .... 5 ... Did ok mopping up and recycling the ball, he isn't going to create much though.

Porteous ... 5 .... Tried to keep it moving, but as the OP said, by the time he came on Motherwell had done their attacking, he would have been better swapping positions with Doidge.

Allan ... 4 ... Ran about like he had a point to prove, but his rustiness is clear from the number of times he gave the ball away.

The ref ..... I've seen worse.

Jack Ross. It's clear the problem he has to sort. It's becoming a theme that every decent run of results is going to end with at least one performance like that one, lets hope our next performance is a hell of a lot better, he as well as anybody will be aware today was a massive opportunity to make us big favourites for 3rd place and one we blew big time.

We do not work hard enough when out of possession this has been apparent all season. The workrate needs to improve. The crossing today was woeful hardly got past the first defender.
    Lots of hard work required next week before next game. Jack Ross needs to show more passion on the touchline.
    We need move up a few notches and change the shape of the team quicker in games when things are not working. We seem to be better away from home when teams attack us more.
    Jack Ross has lost two crucial games this season the semi finals so has still something to prove

@hibs.net private member
    Agree with all that JB- usual good write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    We do not work hard enough when out of possession this has been apparent all season. The workrate needs to improve. The crossing today was woeful hardly got past the first defender.
    Lots of hard work required next week before next game. Jack Ross needs to show more passion on the touchline.
    We need move up a few notches and change the shape of the team quicker in games when things are not working. We seem to be better away from home when teams attack us more.
    Jack Ross has lost two crucial games this season the semi finals so has still something to prove
    Said that often. I might be imagining this, maybe looking too hard for a reason for the poor home results, but it's as if when we are away from home and not expecting to dominate possession, when we do get the ball there is an urgency of movement and passing, whereas at home, and expected to have a lot of the ball, the players are pacing themselves and being patient (but ineffective) in possession.
    I also think there may be something in the fact that Gogic was benched v Well y'day and also v Ross County a few weeks back, games against lowly opposition who were not going well, which we would have expected to dominate and win, but lost. You could also add to that last week's game v Hamilton which although we won without Gogic, it wasn't the dominant win you might have expected, they showed up way better than their lowly position suggested, and we struck it lucky with the early red.
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 28-02-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Too often we're ponderous in attack, with too many sideways passes and players taking too much time on the ball.

I'm not sure that it's a lack of movement off the ball, as it often seems to be more the case that the player in possession doesn't seem aware of colleagues in dangerous positions. Boyle was the worst offender (though not the only one), taking speculative shots when colleagues were in a much better position.

I thought that, among others, Cadden was poor but Irvine was pretty much anonymous.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    It's been mentioned on this thread already, but it was evident against Hamilton last week and again yesterday, that we're too easy to play through when Gogic isn't there.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    It's been mentioned on this thread already, but it was evident against Hamilton last week and again yesterday, that we're too easy to play through when Gogic isn't there.
    I agree with this point.I sometimes struggle to see what Gogic is contributing to the team when he is playing but I sure as hell see the difference when he isn't as our mid field is powder puff without him.He has his critics but overall his positives outweigh the negatives and should start next week.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Didnt see the game yesterday but I thought Irvine was off it against Hamilton and had his quietest game in a Hibs shirt. It sounds like it was a similar case yesterday, hope he recaptures his form.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Didnt see the game yesterday but I thought Irvine was off it against Hamilton and had his quietest game in a Hibs shirt. It sounds like it was a similar case yesterday, hope he recaptures his form.
    I think Newell coming back in has affected him.

I'm a big fan of Newell and I'm happy that he's signed a new contract but getting straight back in to the team has disrupted the overall balance of the midfield again. They don't seem to be clicking and hopefully that comes with a little more time.

Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    I think Newell coming back in has affected him.

I'm a big fan of Newell and I'm happy that he's signed a new contract but getting straight back in to the team has disrupted the overall balance of the midfield again. They don't seem to be clicking and hopefully that comes with a little more time.
    We still don't seem to have worked out how to get all of our best players into the team, maybe it's a reflection of the better depth in the squad and it's got to be horses for courses of course with formation and personnel, but am not sure we have a set view of what our best XI looks like?

It is a squad game of course but we should always try play our best players?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    We still don't seem to have worked out how to get all of our best players into the team, maybe it's a reflection of the better depth in the squad and it's got to be horses for courses of course with formation and personnel, but am not sure we have a set view of what our best XI looks like?

It is a squad game of course but we should always try play our best players?
    Tend to agree. Think Gogic needs to come in with Murphy dropping out at present.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John, I only saw 2nd half so my comments are based on a period where we dominated possession & chances without me ever thinking we were going to score. I'm not being wise after the fact but I was not surprised by the result & it may actually help us in the long run. (I did post, after last game I think that we needed to bring Porteous & Nisbet back). I don't think I've ever posted about Jack Ross before, certainly nothing critical, but I'm confused by some of his actions this season. Here's a few things;
    1. I admire his courage in starting yesterday with a back 4 plus 6 attack minded players. Conversely I'm astonished at his naivety in picking this side. I know it was same team as last time but playing 78 minutes against a 10 man Hamilton isn't really a good measure of whether that system worked. We've had a fair bit of criticism this season for our style of play so maybe JR thinks playing all these attacking players will provide the flair demanded by some fans.
    2. Bulding on above I was most surprised when Gogic was left out last week. I think most people thought Alex G had his best Hibs game the prior week against Aberdeen. Again perhaps JR doesn't think we need a ball winner versus the likes of Hamilton & Motherwell. If so I hope that's a calculated decision & not arrogance, because Campbell must have been licking his lips when he saw our midfield.
    3. I was surprised when Irvine & Cadden arrived & went straight into the team, similarly I was surprised that Newell returned immediately after injury. All 3 players, (Irvine in particular IMO) have played pretty well but it's almost as if a player's ability trumps everything else (team balance) where JR is concerned. Then again, conversely he kept picking Drey Wright when he was not performing & the same charge could now be laid about Doidge. I said I was confused!!

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm not convinced JR knows his best team or best formation & I think that's reflected in the players' performances. The Nisbet/Porteous saga has also affected the team dynamics. I hope I'm not reading too much into things but Nisbet's attitude on Saturday seemed poor, & certainly by comparison with Ryan. Mind you, I can understand Nisbet's frustration when the player chosen ahead of him, Doidge, misses 2 great chances, the 1st of which Nisbet was screaming for a pass & an open goal. Strangely, I'm less concerned now by our string of away games. We'll be less cavalier, I'm sure Gogic will be back & probably Porteous/Nisbet. Hopefully we'll grind out 3 odd goal victories then everyone can complain again about how boring we are!!

Lost the first goal by defending on or near the half way line. Perhaps if Darren rather than Paul had been on Roberts Darren would have caught him but he had other things to do apparently. You would think that we would have done our homework and recognised that as a threat rather than defend so high up so early. I also think that Alex would have made the difference earlier and as we all know unless you can get the ball to Jamie Murphy then there is no point in playing him because he isn't going to win the ball for himself. If routes to him are cut off, then get him off and go steady by putting Alex on instead. It's not as though Alex Gogic can't get a goal or assist, he scored just a couple of weeks ago and he'll win the ball out of nothing. The manager put it down to soft defending and it was but can't but help think we got our tactics wrong while they got theirs spot on. Coach goes on about our effort after going two behind, but I thought we looked like Aberdeen did a few weeks ago at ER, i.e. hoped for the best without having a clear plan on how to convert. The coach did admit that we could have played for much longer than ninety, and not have scored which says it all.