hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbie1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can say what ye want about him, but he is rank rotten!!! Totally gash!!! How many times one on one wae the keeper????? Many has he scored one one one, zero, adsolute crap, get shot on him!!!

Hes last in the box when we have someine down the wing ready to put a ball in, one up front doesnt work and when hes the one up front, it definitely doesnt work!!!

Hes total ****, get him to ****
    Hmmm....I smell sh***.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why would abuse be allowed? Don't really understand the North Korea patter. If I was that abusive to someone on the street I would get lifted. Freedom of speech has never meant freedom to be abusive.

I respect the opinion of the admins and mods on here, but I'm sure they'd ever admit that post is borderline.
    The guy is entitled to his opinion, same as you. We don’t have to agree with what he said, but this is a forum. I don’t personally think it was abuse. If it was abuse, I’m sure it would have been taken down by now so admins obviously don’t consider it abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    The guy is entitled to his opinion, same as you. We don’t have to agree with what he said, but this is a forum. I don’t personally think it was abuse. If it was abuse, I’m sure it would have been taken down by now so admins obviously don’t consider it abuse.
    Did you read the admins reply to me? Said it was borderline. Even Doidges biggest critics think its a bit too far.

Its nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. If someone posted that about a player I disliked I would say the same thing.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Thought it was overly harsh and I’m no Doidge fan, not convinced it was abuse either.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Thought it was overly harsh and I’m no Doidge fan, not convinced it was abuse either.
    There's nothing in the post that hasn't been said one line at a time in other posts, it's just in this instance they've all been lumped together.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    There's nothing in the post that hasn't been said one line at a time in other posts, it's just in this instance they've all been lumped together.
    Yes, I totally agree.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It was harsh but I can guarantee there will be worse said when fans are back at Easter Road. It’s not abuse, if it was abuse it would have been taken down.

End of the day, Doidge’s main job is to score goals. He’s not delivering at the moment in scoring goals so some fans are not happy. Only Doidge can fix that by bagging a hat trick on Saturday.

It was harsh but I can guarantee there will be worse said when fans are back at Easter Road. It’s not abuse, if it was abuse it would have been taken down.

End of the day, Doidge’s main job is to score goals. He’s not delivering at the moment in scoring goals so some fans are not happy. Only Doidge can fix that by bagging a hat trick on Saturday.
    Got one there before! 😄🤞

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Yeah, it is borderline and no, abuse isn't allowed.

A bit of respect goes a long way, we're all Hibs fans on here and I don't think anyone wants to see players getting abused on here.

Criticised is fine, abused is not.
    All the poster in question did was make a complete Richard Edward of themselves and then ran away.
    Probably just pissed of with having to go back to school.

abuse

I don't think it's abuse - I would wager it's no worse than most of us have shouted at the TV. I have never been a fan of Doidge from day one - not ever. I can't even accept all the "what he brings to the team" chat. He's a striker who does not score goals. There's a reason no team came in for him and he didn't get a call up for Wales and it's probably summed up (pretty aggresivley, admittedly) by that poster but it doesn't remove the fact that he's "not that good". One on One with the keeper even last year how many people on this forum would have put their house on him to score? He simply doesn't and he probably needs away back to Forest Green. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he certainly comes across as one but he needs to be dropped or sold. As the poster said it just doesn't work with one up front and "doesn't work worse" when it's him! If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    I don't think it's abuse - I would wager it's no worse than most of us have shouted at the TV. I have never been a fan of Doidge from day one - not ever. I can't even accept all the "what he brings to the team" chat. He's a striker who does not score goals. There's a reason no team came in for him and he didn't get a call up for Wales and it's probably summed up (pretty aggresivley, admittedly) by that poster but it doesn't remove the fact that he's "not that good". One on One with the keeper even last year how many people on this forum would have put their house on him to score? He simply doesn't and he probably needs away back to Forest Green. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he certainly comes across as one but he needs to be dropped or sold. As the poster said it just doesn't work with one up front and "doesn't work worse" when it's him! If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.
    It was previously Kyle Lafferty you wanted to replace Doidge with...

He is a striker who currently isn't scoring goals. He has 133 career goals. For context. Jimmy O'Rourke got 122 for Hibs.

He can and has scored many, many goals.

If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.
    Possibly an extra 10 -15 more goals than we have already this season? You're probably right.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

He is a striker who currently isn't scoring goals. He has 133 career goals. For context. Jimmy O'Rourke got 122 for Hibs.

He can and has scored many, many goals.
    I don't see the context for re O'Rourke as was scoring at the top level throughout his time at Hibs but 133 is more than I would have thought.

Time to use Doidge from the bench for a few games. He can still cause teams problems and Nisbet needs blooded back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I don't see the context for re O'Rourke as was scoring at the top level throughout his time at Hibs but 133 is more than I would have thought.

Time to use Doidge from the bench for a few games. He can still cause teams problems and Nisbet needs blooded back in.

The context is that he scores a lot of goals, like O'Rourke did for Hibs. Doidge can only score against whats infront of him. He is undoutedly having a poor patch but his career speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    All the poster in question did was make a complete Richard Edward of themselves and then ran away.
    Probably just pissed of with having to go back to school.
    It was Richard Gordon, trolling.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Cummings and Nisbet would be a terrible partnership IMO.

Neither of them are good in the air and neither are particularly good at dribbling, passing and generally contributing in build up play - I've lost count of the amount of times Nisbet has lost the ball when coming deep this season, people say Doidge's first touch is bad but outside of the box Nisbet's is worse imo.

Our overall play would suffer, there'd be no point having two great finishers if the team wasn't creating any chances.

Doidge has been very poor in recent weeks and deserves to be dropped. Should definitely be looking to bring in a striker in the summer but I wouldn't be looking to sell Doidge. A team that often plays two up front should have 4 options each with different skillsets. As a battering ram target man type I don't think we'll do much better than Doidge. Even accounting for his poor finishing he's been much better than all our recent target men that I can think of: Matelevicius, Holt, Graham, Kuqi, Trakys etc. Farid was pretty good, but never fit.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Cummings and Nisbet would be a terrible partnership IMO.

Neither of them are good in the air and neither are particularly good at dribbling, passing and generally contributing in build up play - I've lost count of the amount of times Nisbet has lost the ball when coming deep this season, people say Doidge's first touch is bad but outside of the box Nisbet's is worse imo.

Our overall play would suffer, there'd be no point having two great finishers if the team wasn't creating any chances.

Doidge has been very poor in recent weeks and deserves to be dropped. Should definitely be looking to bring in a striker in the summer but I wouldn't be looking to sell Doidge. A team that often plays two up front should have 4 options each with different skillsets. As a battering ram target man type I don't think we'll do much better than Doidge. Even accounting for his poor finishing he's been much better than all our recent target men that I can think of: Matelevicius, Holt, Graham, Kuqi, Trakys etc. Farid was pretty good, but never fit.
    Not a fan of a big man upfront and I think that list helps in some way promote that particular POV. Its 2021 the game has moved on. You beat slow big bully boy defenders by playing around them and behind them not playing them at their own game in an aerial brawl. The vast majority of sides of successful teams these days don't play with an old fashioned big man up top playing off him. Ask any of our defenders what they would rather face, the proverbial big man or skilful speedy players. Speed terrifies most defenders.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Not a fan of a big man upfront and I think that list helps in some way promote that particular POV. Its 2021 the game has moved on. You beat slow big bully boy defenders by playing around them and behind them not playing them at their own game in an aerial brawl. The vast majority of sides of successful teams these days don't play with an old fashioned big man up top playing off him. Ask any of our defenders what they would rather face, the proverbial big man or skilful speedy players. Speed terrifies most defenders.
    All very interesting but we don't just play the ball up to a big guy (who is the same size of Nisbet) He also scored a load of goals last season and the way we are playing has us in 3rd place.

He's the same height as Lewandowski and shorter than Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Aubameyang.

The context is that he scores a lot of goals, like O'Rourke did for Hibs. Doidge can only score against whats infront of him. He is undoutedly having a poor patch but his career speaks for itself.
    My point was I doubt he would have scored as many what was in front of O'Rourke. A better context would be Brewster or Nish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    My point was I doubt he would have scored as many what was in front of O'Rourke. A better context would be Brewster or Nish.
    Yep Nish was about the same level as Doidge - dog muck
    But it's all about opinions and thats all good. I would like to see Sparky back and up front with Niz but exciting driving players make me want to watch games and Cummings for me was that type of guy. We have two big hulking forwards who IMHO only one can score. I would be letting Doidge go and trying like a bear to get a zippy wee guy.

like maybe Adam Le Fondre.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Generally I'm the same, but having a striker as good in the air as Doidge is always useful in the Scottish league, even if they aren't starting every week.

He's been poor in recent weeks but I think he's shown enough in his time here overall to not warrant just being punted for the sake of it, unless we can make profit on the fee we paid.

I know some posters don't see it but I think we usually look better as a team in the final third when he is on the pitch - his arial ability and good chest control means there's always an out ball when the defence is under pressure, his work rate means the opposition CBs never have time on the ball, and his movement around the box is good as well which opens up space for our other forwards. Boyle and Nisbet both look better when Doidge is playing IMO, don't think we've looked as good whenever Nisbet has been up front by himself or they have partnered each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Generally I'm the same, but having a striker as good in the air as Doidge is always useful in the Scottish league, even if they aren't starting every week.

He's been poor in recent weeks but I think he's shown enough in his time here overall to not warrant just being punted for the sake of it, unless we can make profit on the fee we paid.

I know some posters don't see it but I think we usually look better as a team in the final third when he is on the pitch - his arial ability and good chest control means there's always an out ball when the defence is under pressure, his work rate means the opposition CBs never have time on the ball, and his movement around the box is good as well which opens up space for our other forwards. Boyle and Nisbet both look better when Doidge is playing IMO, don't think we've looked as good whenever Nisbet has been up front by himself or they have partnered each other.
    Agree, doidge is one of the first names on the team sheet for me. It would be doidge and one other. A lot more effective.

He wins his fair share in the air, tho I'm always a bit sceptical about the value of this.

Doige's worst enemy is thinking time. I think his instincts are very good. Give him time to look up or to consider his surroundings he's dire. He's prone to scoring streaks so hopefully he hits that at a key point.

Yep Nish was about the same level as Doidge - dog muck
    But it's all about opinions and thats all good. I would like to see Sparky back and up front with Niz but exciting driving players make me want to watch games and Cummings for me was that type of guy. We have two big hulking forwards who IMHO only one can score. I would be letting Doidge go and trying like a bear to get a zippy wee guy.

like maybe Adam Le Fondre.
    Yes, we'll just turn a blind eye to the fact that Nish is 10th on the list of all time SPL goalscorers between 1998 and 2018....

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    All very interesting but we don't just play the ball up to a big guy (who is the same size of Nisbet) He also scored a load of goals last season and the way we are playing has us in 3rd place.

He's the same height as Lewandowski and shorter than Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Aubameyang.
    Well thanks for the height stats Andy but I think you misunderstand my post. Its not necessarily about the physical height but about the the style employed playing a robust but limited striker. The best football Ive seen Hibs play in recent years didnt have a big man upfront ie the Cup winning season when although a championship season we beat all and sundry. Im just not a big man upfront fan and never will be. For me play thru midfield with exciting mobile and quick strikers up front. I appreciate Doidge's hard work but I think he would be the first to say his ability is limited, having done his best work for Forest Green in League 2 this is the height of his career.

Well thanks for the height stats Andy but I think you misunderstand my post. Its not necessarily about the physical height but about the the style employed playing a robust but limited striker. The best football Ive seen Hibs play in recent years didnt have a big man upfront ie the Cup winning season when although a championship season we beat all and sundry. Im just not a big man upfront fan and never will be. For me play thru midfield with exciting mobile and quick strikers up front. I appreciate Doidge's hard work but I think he would be the first to say his ability is limited, having done his best work for Forest Green in League 2 this is the height of his career.
    The cup winning team had Stokes and Cummings, neither big and strong, move on a year and we had to suffer watching Holt and the horrendous football we won the championship with. Give me technical skilful players any day.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Doidge is no where near as bad as some on here make out, the guy is not scoring just now and ultimately that's what he will be judged on, but he brings so much more to the team than just goals. There's a reason that Jack Ross plays him almost every single week. Hopefully he starts scoring soon and puts the doubters at bay again(for a wee while)

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Doidge is no where near as bad as some on here make out, the guy is not scoring just now and ultimately that's what he will be judged on, but he brings so much more to the team than just goals. There's a reason that Jack Ross plays him almost every single week. Hopefully he starts scoring soon and puts the doubters at bay again(for a wee while)
    I don’t think he’s solely judged on goals. Many people just don’t see all the other things that are talked about as being as effective as others do. I don’t think all these other things are totally ineffective all the time, but we need more than that from outnumber 9 at times.

It’s not just been a wee spell where he’s been struggling for goals, six goals this season is a very poor return.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Equally he’s nowhere near as good as some on here make out and few brings much less to the team than they would have you believe. He’s got 6 goals in 34 games this season. For a striker that’s a dreadful record. It doesn’t matter what he did last season, this season he has been poor and there are not many games left for him to turn it around. I’ve said it before but he gets a lot of leeway based on his goals from last season. If we’d signed him in the summer he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered (and rightly so)