hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He tries his heart out. But sadly he is just sort of the quality we need in our starting 11.

Decent squad player and impact off bench but he should never play up top in front of nisbet
    Before today we'd won 4 on the trot with Doidge in & ahead of Nisbet.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think Doidge is a really likeable character, puts in a great shift whenever he's on the park.

That being said, I just don't think he has enough technical quality as a striker. I actually think some of his best work comes in our own box at corners etc.

It's a tough one as I've generally been a fan of his during his time here, and I think over the course others play better around him and with him in the team. He needs to start scoring again soon though as a striker who doesn't score is little use no matter how useful he is for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This season he is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Interesting to read he wins lots of aerial battles, is there any stats on how many he wins going to a Hibs player. I just don't see him being very effective for the team or as a scorer. He doesn't take the ball in very often and is used almost as a battering ram but without someone running off him. He looks devoid of confidence to me, understandably. Quite a few have said how well Doig has been managed but I think Doidge has been played in the hope he scores and he is looking less likely to every week. He needed dropped weeks ago and we now have the unfortunate position where two strikers both look out of touch, out of confidence and seem to have lost the ability to score.

I will say I have to compliment Doidge on continuing to put himself in positions to succeed. Players like Holt and James Collins started to play further and further away from goal to avoid missing. He certainly has the bottle and the knack of getting in the right place(that is the hardest thing to find in a striker) but he needs a spell on the side lines to take the pressure of him.

I don't think he is as good as many on here think but he has shown he can be very useful. His and our biggest issue may be he has no competition for his place.

Hard to believe he played the full 90 today and for me Ross has to have a think about that as he missed another couple of brilliant chances and that will just pile the pressure on
    Totally agree with all of that.

Was always going to be tough to replicate last season for Doidge but even still in my opinion he has been poor all season but we don't have any other options.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    It speaks volumes on a 5 page thread discussing the big man's contribution that no-one has questioned his effort or workrate.

Agree with most though that he's maybe lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal at the moment and it could be the right time to take him out the team for a bit.

Lack of depth in the striking department also playing its part.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    He’s missed 3 very good chances.
    His job is not to miss those.
    When he was sliding through the angle was tight and he struck it well but goalie made a great save. A top sticker might have been more subtle and bent round and under the goalie.

Second one he was to close to the goalie when he got the ball and easy
    to close down.

His hold up play and work off the ball has been great but not so yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    It speaks volumes on a 5 page thread discussing the big man's contribution that no-one has questioned his effort or workrate.

Agree with most though that he's maybe lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal at the moment and it could be the right time to take him out the team for a bit.

Lack of depth in the striking department also playing its part.
    People struggle to look at these things objectively. There is nothing wrong with saying he is in poor form but this whole ''hes crap, never a footballer, never good enough'' is just nonsense. Without his 19 goals last season we would've been in real trouble.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    People struggle to look at these things objectively. There is nothing wrong with saying he is in poor form but this whole ''hes crap, never a footballer, never good enough'' is just nonsense. Without his 19 goals last season we would've been in real trouble.
    Exactly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Up to a point I admire you sticking up for Doidge but he is clearly not good enough and we are in trouble if we're pinning our hopes on him.I will come back on and apologise if he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Up to a point I admire you sticking up for Doidge but he is clearly not good enough and we are in trouble if we're pinning our hopes on him.I will come back on and apologise if he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.
    What do you think about the manager who has us 3rd sticking by him? You act like I'm some lone wolf. The one who picks the team picks Doidge. How are we in trouble exactly? Is 3rd place suddenly trouble?

Left by mutual consent!
    What do you think about the manager who has us 3rd sticking by him? You act like I'm some lone wolf. The one who picks the team picks Doidge. How are we in trouble exactly? Is 3rd place suddenly trouble?
    I'm really talking about going forward. Without Hearts in the league I firmly believe we should be 4th at worst. Realistically 3rd is the best we can be and I'm delighted that's where we are. If we are to improve as a team surely we need better than Doidge leading the line.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I wonder if Doidge is missing the crowds more than some of the technically better players. His game is all about being in the right place at the right time, reacting to the break of the ball before the defender. Does he need that bit of adrenaline from an atmosphere to give him that edge?

It's difficult to find an explanation for such a dramatic drop off in form.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I wonder if Doidge is missing the crowds more than some of the technically better players. His game is all about being in the right place at the right time, reacting to the break of the ball before the defender. Does he need that bit of adrenaline from an atmosphere to give him that edge?

It's difficult to find an explanation for such a dramatic drop off in form.

Crowds being there would probably make it worse as they'd very quickly get on his back and give him a some abuse, we've seen the ER crowds turn quite toxic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Was always going to be tough to replicate last season for Doidge but even still in my opinion he has been poor all season but we don't have any other options.
    I think he has been poor in converting chances, his overall play has been pretty good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Basildon Hibs View Post
    I do. It's his job to score goals. He cant do his job.

Simples.
    There is more to a center forwards role than you describe am sure JR will look at his stats and will then decide if he is doing what JR asks of him

@hibs.net private member
    He’s a worker and creates space and time for others but he’s just not a finisher. JR has to decide if his contribution is enough to keep his place in the team as his misses are costing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Basildon Hibs View Post
    I do. It's his job to score goals. He cant do his job.

Simples.
    Maybe he isn't doing his job right now. His career shows he is very capable of scoring goals, though. No one at the club right now has more career goals.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    He’s a worker and creates space and time for others but he’s just not a finisher. JR has to decide if his contribution is enough to keep his place in the team as his misses are costing us.
    I’ve never been impressed by him, but I think your post is a very good summation.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Would be surprised if he didn't start Saturday given the opposition and their clear threat from set pieces.

Maybe he isn't doing his job right now. His career shows he is very capable of scoring goals, though. No one at the club right now has more career goals.
    Maybe so but in the now.

12 games without a goal is shocking. You can't defend that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    At no point have I defended that. Please read my posts before replying. I'm defending his overall quality and disagreeing with impulsive opinions like ''hes crap, never Hibs quality, never a footballer''

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isn't doing his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 01-03-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Maybe so but in the now.

Thought his second chance when the defender missed it was very poor and actually thought he should have scored the follow up header. That totally changes the game with 15 or so to go.

At no point have I defended that. Please read my posts before replying. I'm defending his overall quality and disagreeing with impulsive opinions like ''hes crap, never Hibs quality, never a footballer''

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isnt going his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.
    Putting in big letters highlights the spelling mistakes

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isnt going his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.
    That's why I edited it

Maybe he should be GOING

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Putting in big letters highlights the spelling mistakes
    dont no what ur talking abot

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Would be surprised if he didn't start Saturday given the opposition and their clear threat from set pieces.
    Its all very well praising Doidge for his work rate and physicality buts that’s not his main job.
    Its like paying a joiner to put up shelves in your back bedroom,and he paints the walls instead.He might make a decent job of it,but it’s not what you’re paying him for.
    Hibs can’t seem to resist signing midfielders in the transfer window as was evident in January,ignoring the fact that cover was needed up front.Letting young Gullan go out on loan was also a rather strange decision.
    IMO JR has to find some formation where he can start both the out of form in scoring strikers and get them playing through to an improved scoring rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    12 games no goals. Regardless of what else he is contributing it's time for a stint on the sidelines.

Nisbet has waited patiently and deserves another run now.

I realise he contributes in other ways but his main job is scoring goals, which he's not done for months.

I've defended him before but this has gone on a bit too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Its all very well praising Doidge for his work rate and physicality buts that’s not his main job.
    Its like paying a joiner to put up shelves in your back bedroom,and he paints the walls instead.He might make a decent job of it,but it’s not what you’re paying him for.
    Hibs can’t seem to resist signing midfielders in the transfer window as was evident in January,ignoring the fact that cover was needed up front.Letting young Gullan go out on loan was also a rather strange decision.
    IMO JR has to find some formation where he can start both the out of form in scoring strikers and get them playing through to an improved scoring rate.
    Certainly is part of his job to help us defend corners. All very well saying drop him but if we then lose two goals to set pieces doesn't really make much sense.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    He's not good enough, some of his misses are akin to Sunday League stuff. Header in the game at Cove Rangers away for example.

Saturday, his fresh air swipe from 12 yards out in the 1st half was laughable and the 3 misses in the 2nd half were shocking.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    The problem is we only have 2 recognised strikers and he’s one of them, the other was six months into a 4 year contract when he slapped in a transfer request and has never recovered. It’s very poor we have no back up, normally I would have heavily criticised the club for that but during the current situation money doesn’t grow on trees so there’s maybe not a lot they can do. We need more and better strikers full stop but we’re not alone in that.