hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

@hibs.net private member
    This season he is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Interesting to read he wins lots of aerial battles, is there any stats on how many he wins going to a Hibs player. I just don't see him being very effective for the team or as a scorer. He doesn't take the ball in very often and is used almost as a battering ram but without someone running off him. He looks devoid of confidence to me, understandably. Quite a few have said how well Doig has been managed but I think Doidge has been played in the hope he scores and he is looking less likely to every week. He needed dropped weeks ago and we now have the unfortunate position where two strikers both look out of touch, out of confidence and seem to have lost the ability to score.

I will say I have to compliment Doidge on continuing to put himself in positions to succeed. Players like Holt and James Collins started to play further and further away from goal to avoid missing. He certainly has the bottle and the knack of getting in the right place(that is the hardest thing to find in a striker) but he needs a spell on the side lines to take the pressure of him.

I don't think he is as good as many on here think but he has shown he can be very useful. His and our biggest issue may be he has no competition for his place.

Hard to believe he played the full 90 today and for me Ross has to have a think about that as he missed another couple of brilliant chances and that will just pile the pressure on
    Last edited by wookie70; 27-02-2021 at 04:48 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Welcome back to a lot of posters we haven’t seen for a while.

Doidge didn’t have a very good game today, I don’t think anyone would argue with that.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO too. Afraid he's slower than a week in saughton which doesn't help.

He normally wins his fair share of high balls but didn't today. However, as others have said, he's long overdue a shot on the bench.

Huge disappointment for the supposed fee we paid for him.

If he was that slow then he wouldn't have got on to the through ball for his first chance.

Folk having a go at him for missing 2 chances - is it normal that his team mates only presented him with 2 chances the entire match?

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    You telling me you would keep laying doidge over Nisbet in this form? Thank **** we don’t have you in charge
    Has Nisbet shown any more than Doidge though?

They’re both currently looking like pish footballers who had a purple patch once, and tbh I’m interested in ways we can play that might involve neither of them playing - with a CH up front, a midfielder playing off Boyle or something like that.

We’re struggling to squeeze good players into the team elsewhere yet that pair look absolutely miles off it to me.
    Last edited by Smartie; 27-02-2021 at 04:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I was worried when we didn't add another striker in January and we're now in a tough spot. Doidge isn't doing enough but Nisbet has been equally off the pace when he's come on.

I'll be really frustrated if our lack of options up front costs us third this season. We invested in the squad but have a surfeit of midfielders kicking the or heels on the bench, but hardly any options up front to change things.

I'd be inclined to give Nisbet a try but we are limited in what we can do with the current squad.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Welcome back to a lot of posters we haven’t seen for a while.

Doidge didn’t have a very good game today, I don’t think anyone would argue with that.
    Do you think he should be benched?

It doesn’t sound to me like Alex Miller fancies him much.

And for all his faults, that’s a guy who had an eye for a player and brought plenty of very good players to Hibs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Has Nisbet shown any more than Doidge though?

They’re both currently looking like pish footballers who had a purple patch once, and tbh I’m nrerested in ways we can play that might involve neither of them playing - with a CH up front, a midfielder playing off Boyle or something like that.

We’re struggling to squeeze good players into the team elsewhere yet that pair look absolutely miles off it to me.
    For me Nisbet deserves a start, I don’t think you would see him playing 12 games without a goal

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    He is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Interesting to read he wins lots of aerial battles, is there any stats on how many he wins going to a Hibs player. I just don't see him being very effective for the team or as a scorer. He doesn't take the ball in very often and is used almost as a battering ram but without someone running off him. He looks devoid of confidence to me, understandably. Quite a few have said how well Doig has been managed but I think Doidge has been played in the hope he scores and he is looking less likely to every week. He needed dropped weeks ago and we now have the unfortunate position where two strikers both look out of touch, out of confidence and seem to have lost the ability to score.

I will say I have to compliment Doidge on continuing to put himself in positions to succeed. Players like Holt and James Collins started to play further and further away from goal to avoid missing. He certainly has the bottle and the knack of getting in the right place(that is the hardest thing to find in a striker) but he needs a spell on the side lines to take the pressure of him.

I don't think he is as good as many on here think but he has shown he can be very useful. His and our biggest issue may be he has no competition for his place.

Hard to believe he played the full 90 today and for me Ross has to have a think about that as he missed another couple of brilliant chances and that will just pile the pressure on
    He’s scored 26 times in 72 appearances for us.

Always falls when hitting a shot. Every time - get rid

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    No he doesn't.

@hibs.net private member
    You telling me you would keep laying doidge over Nisbet in this form? Thank **** we don’t have you in charge
    No, I would play both of them, hows that Boss ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Why are you making things up 😆

For me Nisbet deserves a start, I don’t think you would see him playing 12 games without a goal
    I don’t necessarily disagree fwiw.

And this is Nisbet’s first dip. Doidge has previous for barren runs.

If neither is scoring you’d argue Doidge brings more to the team.

But Nisbet is more likely to get you a goal, and whilst we weren’t carving Motherwell open at will, we did manage to create a few chances towards the end of the game that you’d expect decent strikers to make more of.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    He’s scored 26 times in 72 appearances for us.
    I was talking about this season, I have changed my post to make that clear. I doubt anyone an issue with his scoring record last year

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I've never rated him, he was fine when he went on his scoring run, but he's like a man short when he's not scoring in my opinion.
    Your one of the many that don’t see the all round work he does for the team then

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I was talking about this season, I have changed my post to make that clear. I doubt anyone an issue with his scoring record last year
    Fair dos man. Just didn’t seem right when I first read it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    No, I would play both of them, hows that Boss ?
    And drop Boyle or Cadden? You contradict yourself having a go saying Nisbet can’t be bother and then going on to say you would play him with Doidge :nlgw

only as good as his next game, he needs to be scoring goals now not last year.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Your one of the many that don’t see the all round work he does for the team then

@hibs.net private member
    And drop Boyle or Cadden? You contradict yourself having a go saying Nisbet can’t be bother and then going on to say you would play him with Doidge :nlgw
    No I didnt, I was quoting you !! Read it again, Im not having a go at Nisbet, you said Nisbet cant be bothered, jeezo, this place is full of daftys 😆

I think we should play both, neither have their shooting boots on just now but hopefully things will click, I like both, they bring something different

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post

I am one of that group too. I actually think his strength is getting into positions. If he was as good a finisher as Nisbet he would score 20 every season. He needs to work on his finishing but it looks like it isn't natural to him. Perhaps he would benefit from a sports psychiatrist as if he could scored even 1 in 3 of the guilt edge chances he would be a very good player. As it is knocking the ball on to no-one in particular (trademark Cliff) and committing 4 or 5 fouls a game really isn't enough of a contribution.

You certainly can't fault our midfield and forward thinking players for a lack of chances created.

Hibs can do so much better than Doidge. Just not working out at the moment. Poor guy needs a spell on the bench.

I am one of that group too. I actually think his strength is getting into positions. If he was as good a finisher as Nisbet he would score 20 every season. He needs to work on his finishing but it looks like it isn't natural to him. Perhaps he would benefit from a sports psychiatrist as if he could scored even 1 in 3 of the guilt edge chances he would be a very good player. As it is knocking the ball on to no-one in particular (trademark Cliff) and committing 4 or 5 fouls a game really isn't enough of a contribution.

You certainly can't fault our midfield and forward thinking players for a lack of chances created.
    I disagree with you and think you undervalue his contributions, but you’ve provided a decent argument with stats to back it up so credit for that, it makes a change from some of the posts. His best attribute IS getting into positions, an underrated quality and it’s why he’s scored a decent amount of goals for us. He gets into positions that others don’t. If you listen to him he’s clearly picked up some of his positional nous from basketball, he’s said that himself.

He’s clearly going to be disappointed he hasn’t scored that late chance, I tend to agree a spell on the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Big man always gives 100%, and you feel for him at times
    Needs taken out of starting line up, get his confidence back

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Nisbet cant be bothered but you would play him over a guy who works his arse off week in week out ? Thank **** we dont have you in charge 😆
    I would have worked my arse off week in and week out for Hibs but I would also have been absolutely hopeless. You're just being silly now. .

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by StockholmHibs View Post
    Hibs can do so much better than Doidge. Just not working out at the moment. Poor guy needs a spell on the bench.
    Hibs traditionally can’t do much better than Doidge. I’m well up for it if there’s someone who can do what he does for the team and scores more goals available though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    I would have worked my arse off week in and week out for Hibs but I would also have been absolutely hopeless. You're just being silly now. .
    Aye, lets play McGregor or Porteous up front, and Im being silly ? Away tae your bed man 😆

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I disagree with you and think you undervalue his contributions, but you’ve provided a decent argument with stats to back it up so credit for that, it makes a change from some of the posts. His best attribute IS getting into positions, an underrated quality and it’s why he’s scored a decent amount of goals for us. He gets into positions that others don’t. If you listen to him he’s clearly picked up some of his positional nous from basketball, he’s said that himself.

He’s clearly going to be disappointed he hasn’t scored that late chance, I tend to agree a spell on the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.
    I said in one of my posts getting into positions is the hardest thing a striker can do. Doidge is excellent in that regard but in some ways that is a rod for his own back as he is a poor finisher imo. He keeps making the runs and getting in front of goals so has courage and drive, again two important attributes for a striker. I really am hard on Doidge but it is mostly because he has the attributes to make him an excellent player and is just missing something(chances usually). I know he is nothing like McCoist but he had the knack of sclaffing the ball or mi****ting it and it rolling into a corner. Doidge got that luck last year and it made him come alive not only in terms of goal but contribution. That luck has deserted him this year and his contribution and scoring record hasn't been as good as last year and not good enough to warrant a start for me.

Sorry but I think you can.

Doidge is getting stick for missing 2 chances. Surely at home to Motherwell the team should have created more than 2 chances for him?

As for the midfield, Murphy needs to become more consistent. Apart from a 5 minute spell he was anonymous today