hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cup winning team had Stokes and Cummings, neither big and strong, move on a year and we had to suffer watching Holt and the horrendous football we won the championship with. Give me technical skilful players any day.
    Strange because Holt is by far the best player of those 3.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Equally he’s nowhere near as good as some on here make out and few brings much less to the team than they would have you believe. He’s got 6 goals in 34 games this season. For a striker that’s a dreadful record. It doesn’t matter what he did last season, this season he has been poor and there are not many games left for him to turn it around. I’ve said it before but he gets a lot of leeway based on his goals from last season. If we’d signed him in the summer he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered (and rightly so)
    Yip his goal scoring record is poor this season, and as I say this is what he will get judged on by a lot of people, not his around play which is ok, personally I think he is a decent enough player at this level who just needs a goal or 2 to get back into the swing of it

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Equally he’s nowhere near as good as some on here make out and few brings much less to the team than they would have you believe. He’s got 6 goals in 34 games this season. For a striker that’s a dreadful record. It doesn’t matter what he did last season, this season he has been poor and there are not many games left for him to turn it around. I’ve said it before but he gets a lot of leeway based on his goals from last season. If we’d signed him in the summer he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered (and rightly so)
    Definitely a poor goal return but I wouldn't go as far as 'dreadful'. On your logic most strikers in the league outside of the old firm have a dreadful record this season.

Have seen posters calling for us to sign Ross Stewart, Kabamba, Tony Watt, Obika, McNulty at various times, all of whom have a similiar or worse scoring record to Doidge this season.

Even Shankland's isn't much better.

By the same measure he got 12 in 28 last season, which is almost 1 in every 2 league games, a strike rate nobody’s going to sniff at. You can manipulate stats any way you want.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Definitely a poor goal return but I wouldn't go as far as 'dreadful'. On your logic most strikers in the league outside of the old firm have a dreadful record this season.

Have seen posters calling for us to sign Ross Stewart, Kabamba, Tony Watt, Obika, McNulty at various times, all of whom have a similiar or worse scoring record to Doidge this season.

Even Shankland's isn't much better.
    I can’t comment on those other strikers given I’ve seen very little of them. However I have seen Doidge every game this season and we’ve created numerous chances for him, which he invariably misses. And while no striker takes every chance they get he’s missed far more than he should have imo.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    By the same measure he got 12 in 28 last season, which is almost 1 in every 2 league games, a strike rate nobody’s going to sniff at. You can manipulate stats any way you want.
    Like I said I’m talking about this season, not last. This season he’s been poor and his goals return nowhere near good enough given the chances he’s had.

Regardless of what I think, I hope if he plays today, he gets a goal (another hat trick would be nice). He's here for this season at the least and we need him to turn a corner, boost his confidence in our bid to get 3rd.

Like I said I’m talking about this season, not last. This season he’s been poor and his goals return nowhere near good enough given the chances he’s had.
    His goal return hasn't been great but he has generally played well but appreciate his main job is to score goals

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not in terms of his contribution in a Hibs jersey, he wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    His goal return hasn't been great but he has generally played well but appreciate his main job is to score goals
    I suppose that’s where there is a big differing of opinion. I don’t think the rest of his game brings enough to the team, but I accept that others do.

I suppose that’s where there is a big differing of opinion. I don’t think the rest of his game brings enough to the team, but I accept that others do.

If we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place!! At the end of the day as long as we win I'm not really fussed who scores

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    If we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place!! At the end of the day as long as we win I'm not really fussed who scores
    Absolutely

Doidge didn't play in the Semi Final and lo and behold Rooney and Kerr both helped themselves to headed set piece goals. Messrs Nisbet, Porteous and Hanlon were insufficient to stop them. I reckon the addition of Doidge and McGregor that day would have busted that aerial threat. Hopefully all 5 play today.

P.S. Rooney scored an identical headed goal against Livingston following the Semi Final and then scored the winner in last week's final ......with another header. Best play Doidge me thinks.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 06-03-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not in terms of his contribution in a Hibs jersey, he wasn’t.
    No. But his career is significantly better than the other 2. And at 35, was solid for Us. At 32 Stokes is clubless.

What's strange about it when you know that Holt best football was well behind by the time he arrived up at Easter Road?
    Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt ever was.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    What's strange about it when you know that Holt best football was well behind by the time he arrived up at Easter Road?
    Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt ever was.

Because if I could take any of them for Hibs at their best, its holt easily. Stokes and Cummings were much younger and Holt was past his best, that makes it a stange comparison. Try Stokes and Cummings vs Mixu or Killen.

Stokes in his second spell in the championship, cup final aside, wasn't much better than Holt. Probably a good bit worse overall.

Because if I could take any of them for Hibs at their best, its holt easily. Stokes and Cummings were much younger and Holt was past his best, that makes it a stange comparison. Try Stokes and Cummings vs Mixu or Killen.

Stokes in his second spell in the championship, cup final aside, wasn't much better than Holt. Probably a good bit worse overall.
    I would have Holt at his best also but he wasn't anywhere near his best. So it's hardly surprising that Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt was

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I would have Holt at his best also but he wasn't anywhere near his best. So it's hardly surprising that Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt was

In the championship at least, Holt was undoubtedly better for us than Stokes

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe earlier in his career but not at Hibs

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Maybe earlier in his career but not at Hibs
    I wouldnt even say earlier in his career. I'd put what Stokes achieved at Celtic above anything Holt did at Norwich which was the height of both players careers (apart from the obvious day in May 2016 for Stoksey)

The big man's missed a few sitters of late, I'm backing him to come good with a brace today

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Aye, and i'm slimmer of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Aye, and i'm slimmer of the year.
    You think Stokes was a better player than Holt over their careers? Have to disagree. Stokes can only sit and watch the level Holt played at.

First Team Breakthrough
    Getting nothing from the full backs. McGinn hasn’t found a Hibs player for weeks. People can say what they like about the potential of Doig, he’s nowhere near ready.

Quote Originally Posted by villahibs View Post
    Getting nothing from the full backs. McGinn hasn’t found a Hibs player for weeks. People can say what they like about the potential of Doig, he’s nowhere near ready.
    Nowhere near ready for what though? Playing every week for a 3rd place side, looks pretty ready.

Missing the big mans presence today

and?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It was previously Kyle Lafferty you wanted to replace Doidge with...
    Your point is what? I don't think Doidge is a great player and if you're asking me if I think Lafferty is better player than Doidge then my answer is yes without doubt. It's my opinion which should be worth the same as yours unless you are some secret ex premiership manager? (your Xbox is not included)

yep you should

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Yes, we'll just turn a blind eye to the fact that Nish is 10th on the list of all time SPL goalscorers between 1998 and 2018....
    You probably should ,

Nish scored 64 goals as that "all time record tenth" in 267 premier league games - which is hardly prolific unless I mis-interpret the word. So what's that .023 a game? A better way to gloss the figures is to say Nish was the number one all time top scorer in the Premier league who was called Colin. In his total career it was 0.22 but "let us not math cloud a story".

I wasn't a fan of Nish
    It's just an opinion and yours is just as valid. I have watched a lot of crud at ER over many years and right now I believe overall we are pretty dire to watch. Doidge doesn't excite and doesn't score goals.

You think Stokes was a better player than Holt over their careers? Have to disagree. Stokes can only sit and watch the level Holt played at.
    Without getting anywhere near fulfilling his potential Stokes won things and played in the Champions League.

Holt spent most of his career in the lower leagues with a good season in the Premier League that came from nowhere, having spent most of his career in the lower leagues.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Did well today, we were much improved when he came on.