hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never rated him, he was fine when he went on his scoring run, but he's like a man short when he's not scoring in my opinion.
    This,

Hes never a striker a million years, a good few of the goals he has scored for us are pure luck, ball hittin of him etc. Lacks coordination and composure at crucial times way to often for my liking

2. Log in to remove the advert

If we do get third place there’s one thing for sure is that we need to add a striker and we need better than Doidge and Nisbet if we are to get any success. Apart from Griffiths I’ve no idea who but we need to try to get some quality striker (s) in. It won’t be easy though especially in the current climate but the possibility of a load of Euro games may just be the carrot we need to attract some.

I like Doidge. He offers a lot but the guy is a striker and needs to start scoring. For me Kevin starts next week.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    The least technical striker I’ve seen in many a year at Hibs.

No first touch. Can’t pass the ball and the most inept striker of a football I’ve seen

Add in the number of fouls and offsides which simply take the pressure of the defence then it’s fair to say I’m not, and never have been, a fan.
    Last edited by PaulSmith; 27-02-2021 at 05:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Sorry but I think you can.

Doidge is getting stick for missing 2 chances. Surely at home to Motherwell the team should have created more than 2 chances for him?

As for the midfield, Murphy needs to become more consistent. Apart from a 5 minute spell he was anonymous today
    They created at least three. He fresh aired one and the Keeper saved two with the rebound being a missed header again from Doidge. There may have been more but those are the obvious ones. Most strikers would be delighted to have three very good chances put in front of them and that has been the case in quite a few games recently. I suspect we created far more and far better chances than Motherwell but they had strikers who stuck the ball away.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    They created at least three. He fresh aired one and the Keeper saved two with the rebound being a missed header again from Doidge. There may have been more but those are the obvious ones. Most strikers would be delighted to have three very good chances put in front of them and that has been the case in quite a few games recently. I suspect we created far more and far better chances than Motherwell but they had strikers who stuck the ball away.
    OK, and 2 out of 3 he got on target and drew good saves from their keeper.

Sorry but I think you can.

Doidge is getting stick for missing 2 chances. Surely at home to Motherwell the team should have created more than 2 chances for him?

As for the midfield, Murphy needs to become more consistent. Apart from a 5 minute spell he was anonymous today
    I think Doidge is getting stick because it’s two and a bit months since he took any chance, rather than the fact he missed two today.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think Doidge is getting stuck because it’s two and a bit months since he took any chance, rather than the fact he missed two today.
    I understand that and it's hard not to agree, but some of the criticism is way over the top.

There were plenty other players who didn't perform well today yet Doidge merits his own thread?

Why not Murphy? Maybe because nobody noticed he was playing...

I understand that and it's hard not to agree, but some of the criticism is way over the top.

There were plenty other players who didn't perform well today yet Doidge merits his own thread?

Everyone will get their fair share I’m sure. We’ve seen posts before wanting Murphy sent back to Rangers etc. Doidge needs dropped now. All the running around can’t make up for the complete lack of threat he offers.

@hibs.net private member
    Doidge has kept his place through his lean spell of late as the focal point in a 343 formation that's been working for us - but was showing signs of being sussed out last week v Hamilton until their namesake defender saw red.

Ross stuck with the same formation and it's hard to criticise him for that but maybe he missed a chance to shake things up. Motherwell are known to play 433 and that's how they started. I would have liked to have seen us start in a 442 (CM veteran speaking here ;) with Nisbet and Boyle up front - Boyle has been on blistering form but Doidge anything but. Ross rang the changes and we looked better 2nd half but it was all too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    The least technical striker I’ve seen in many a year at Hibs.

No first touch. Can’t pass the ball and the most inept striker of a football I’ve seen for many a year.

Add in the number of fouls and offsides which simply take the pressure of the defence then it’s fair to say I’m not, and never have been, a fan.
    He's a hoofball team's striker. Nisbet isn't firing on all cylinders but his first touch, lay-offs, speed and movement are far superior. I want to see him and Boyle racing onto through balls on the ground from Irvine/Newell/Allan. That is not Doidge's game.

Everyone will get their fair share I’m sure. We’ve seen posts before wanting Murphy sent back to Rangers etc. Doidge needs dropped now. All the running around can’t make up for the complete lack of threat he offers.
    Sorry, but your last sentence is just daft.

Sorry, but your last sentence is just daft.
    You think he’s been a threat in the opposition box for the last however long? Cut the ‘daft’ pish out eh.

@hibs.net private member

Murphy was poor again and got hooked early again. The manager is protecting him by not playing him when he is poor. Doidge, through no fault of his own, keeps getting nearly the full 90 minutes despite his lack of scoring and I'd argue lack of contribution. He has passed up so many chances in the last few months. Murphy got slaughtered for missing two chances in the semi if you remember but has actually done ok in terms of chances v goals in general.

I think poster like me don't rate his contribution and the lack of goals means he is playing poorly every week, for us at least. Most of the other players have the odd game or two off form and are hooked or start playing well again. For me Doidge has been poor for about 2 months and he wasn't brilliant before that.

I have no idea if Ross wants to drop him as we really haven't got another striker who is the target type and much of our play is down the wings and floating crosses in. Nisbet and Boyle both like to drift wide so not ideal when that appears to be the game plan.

You think he’s been a threat in the opposition box for the last however long? Cut the ‘daft’ pish out eh.
    You speak about his "running about" and "complete lack of threat". For me ignoring the space he makes for others and his assists is daft.

You speak about his "running about" and "complete lack of threat". For me ignoring the space he makes for others and his assists is daft.
    He’s got even less assists than he has goals.

I’ve not ignored anything. He’s offering nowhere near enough for a number nine. He is totally lacking any threat in the opposition box at the moment.

Fully expect you’ll be policing the board calling out all the ‘dafties’ tonight though.

Murphy was poor again and got hooked early again. The manager is protecting him by not playing him when he is poor. Doidge, through no fault of his own, keeps getting nearly the full 90 minutes despite his lack of scoring and I'd argue lack of contribution. He has passed up so many chances in the last few months. Murphy got slaughtered for missing two chances in the semi if you remember but has actually done ok in terms of chances v goals in general.

I think poster like me don't rate his contribution and the lack of goals means he is playing poorly every week, for us at least. Most of the other players have the odd game or two off form and are hooked or start playing well again. For me Doidge has been poor for about 2 months and he wasn't brilliant before that.

I have no idea if Ross wants to drop him as we really haven't got another striker who is the target type and much of our play is down the wings and floating crosses in. Nisbet and Boyle both like to drift wide so not ideal when that appears to be the game plan.
    Your last paragraph explains a lot, which has been proven when Doidge hasn't played.

He’s got even less assists than he has goals.

I’ve not ignored anything. He’s offering nowhere near enough for a number nine. He is totally lacking any threat in the opposition box at the moment.

Fully expect you’ll be policing the board calling out all the ‘dafties’ tonight though.
    You'll be disappointed then.

You'll be disappointed then.
    In Doidge, absolutely.

I'd start Nisbet next week. Doidge may do a ton of work but surely his principal duty is to score goals. If he's tracking back to recover balls he obviously can't be in and around the box where he needs to be.

I'd also start with Gogic - he adds steel and that would compensate for Doidge's absence.

I'd also drop Murphy as I just don't see that his contributions warrant a starting place.

Jack can be very loyal to his starting 11 but perhaps needs to be a little more ruthless with those whose form has dipped.

Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    I'd start Nisbet next week. Doidge may do a ton of work but surely his principal duty is to score goals. If he's tracking back to recover balls he obviously can't be in and around the box where he needs to be.

I'd also start with Gogic - he adds steel and that would compensate for Doidge's absence.

I'd also drop Murphy as I just don't see that his contributions warrant a starting place.

Jack can be very loyal to his starting 11 but perhaps needs to be a little more ruthless with those whose form has dipped.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Big man always gives 100%, and you feel for him at times
    Needs taken out of starting line up, get his confidence back
    Yes Doidge is definitely lacking confidence. Needs a goal badly. Poor today but he's been battling away well in recent games.

@hibs.net private member
    Just felt Doige was isolated today. Couldn’t understand why he didn’t have Boyle through the middle in support. Cadden and Murphy were available to provide the width and crosses. Don’t get the Boyle shift.

Doidge’s qualities are his physicality and work rate. Both of which take next to no talent or technique.

I’m never confident he’ll score when he has the ball at his feet and time to think. And judging by his record, neither is he. Combination of a lack of composure and lack of ability.

Not enough skill or talent for me.

Surely we can do better.

A striker who doesn't score goals or get assists is not someone you ideally have as a first choice striker. I actually think he is better suited to coming off the bench when we are trying to close a game out as he does work hard and can draw fouls ect.

Technically he is pretty poor and miles behind Nisbet who can score all types of goals.

@hibs.net private member
    Your last paragraph explains a lot, which has been proven when Doidge hasn't played.
    How do you work that out. He has only not featured in 2 league games. Those two were against the Uglies, a 2-2 and a narrow 1-0 defeat against The Thes. We have lost 8 games this season, Doidge has played in 7 of those only missing 34 minutes total play in the games we have lost. To be fair Nisbet has also played in most of those games too missing out only in the last month when Cadden and Irvine had a massive impact on our results

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Surely time to take a seat on the bench for a few weeks. I like his work rate but he’s never a hibs level striker. Can’t have a number 9 who misses atleast 3 great chances every week
    Username change on the cards then :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

How do you work that out. He has only not featured in 2 league games. Those two were against the Uglies, a 2-2 and a narrow 1-0 defeat against The Thes. We have lost 8 games this season, Doidge has played in 7 of those only missing 34 minutes total play in the games we have lost. To be fair Nisbet has also played in most of those games too missing out only in the last month when Cadden and Irvine had a massive impact on our results
    Again, typical of this place recently. Not everything is black or white - wins or losses. We've also drawn matches & even won when Doidge has come off the bench.

My opinion is that, without Doidge, Nisbet keeps dropping too deep or wide to collect the ball and if Boyle isn't getting any joy from the defenders (which was the case for a good while this season), we had almost zero threat in the box.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Again, typical of this place recently. Not everything is black or white - wins or losses. We've also drawn matches & even won when Doidge has come off the bench.

My opinion is that, without Doidge, Nisbet keeps dropping too deep or wide to collect the ball and if Boyle isn't getting any joy from the defenders (which was the case for a good while this season), we had almost zero threat in the box.
    It was a different level and I genuinely have no idea, but did Nisbet play with a partner when he was banging them in with Raith and Dunfermline ?

Left by mutual consent!
    He tries his heart out. But sadly he is just sort of the quality we need in our starting 11.

Decent squad player and impact off bench but he should never play up top in front of nisbet