hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big day today

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Big day today

We do what we have to do against a poor Motherwell and Aberdeen go down to their usual defeat to a Celtic team hopefully liberated from a difficult Lennon period, I honestly think third is ours. I can’t see them bridging a 7 point gap with fewer games left to do it. And third as we all know this season is huge in terms of European and possible financial ramifications.

come on Hibs, for once make life easy for us and just get it done!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Important game again.

We have been on an excellent run of wins - 4 in a row.

5 in a row would be remarkable. Motherwell seemed to do better midweek but only got a draw.

A Hibs win today and Aberdeen loss - plus with our game in hand will definitely put the pressure on Aberdeen further.

Would happily take a scrappy 1-0 - just getting 3 points will be massive.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Motherwell are a mess, they’re getting nothing from us today.

This will be one of our easier games of the season and I only see another comfortable win for us.

If we beat Motherwell today then the result in the Celtic / Aberdeen game will mean that we are either closer to second or further away from fourth (or both if it is a draw).

The super optimist in me thinks that a win for Aberdeen would see us only 9 points behind Celtic with a game in hand.

Celtic still have to play The Rangers before the split, so lose against Aberdeen and they might only get 3 points between now and the split meaning they are on 67 points after 33 games.

Beating Motherwell would put us on 55 after 30 games. Three wins before the split would put us on 64 points. Just 3 behind second place going into the last 5 games.

Difficult but not impossible.

All starts with beating Motherwell today.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Any chance we can just have one thread pre match?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This will be one of our easier games of the season and I only see another comfortable win for us.
    Hmmm.

Nothing is a given in this league.

I hope the players are not going into the game with that mindset, I hope you're right but I don't think they're a mess. It'll be a tough slog and they'll be well up for the fight.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Any chance we can just have one thread pre match?
    i started this one because I could see barely anything else about today’s game

Every week, folk fretting about Hamilton, Ross Co and the likes. They're 20+ points behind us for a reason.

If you can’t feel confident about days like today, when can you?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Thought they were ok during the week in a difficult away game.

Beating Motherwell is the priority today, with flair or ground out is irrelevent, but we need to pick up the full 3 points.

If we do a Celtic/Aberdeen 0-0 draw might suit our end of season ambitions best. If we dont then hooefull Celtic right royally hump the sheep.

Really excited about today's game. The positivity around the Club is plain to see just now and it's definitely permeating through to match day experience for me.

Bring on consecutive win number 5.

@hibs.net private member
    Every week, folk fretting about Hamilton, Ross Co and the likes. They're 20+ points behind us for a reason.

I've watched Hibs for 30 years. I've rarely felt confident going into a game! :)

@hibs.net private member

I felt confident of beating Ross Co & St Jo the last time in the respective competitions who were x amount of points behind us at the time & look what happened. Nothing is a given when following the Hibees.

They recently got thumped 3-0 by St J and 4-1 by Hamilton, we’ve won 4 on the bounce are playing at home, and you’re not expecting a win today?

How can you enjoy football if you never think we’ll win a game?!!

Banker

I felt before the game last week that Hamilton is our easiest game of the season. Although Motherwell have been pretty gash I think we will be in for a tough game today, still confident of a win though.

@hibs.net private member
    They recently got thumped 3-0 by St J and 4-1 by Hamilton, we’ve won 4 on the bounce are playing at home, and you’re not expecting a win today?

How can you enjoy football if you never think we’ll win a game?!!

Banker
    I’ve always found terms like “banker” and “easy win” usually lead to terms like “embarrassing” “woeful” where our team is concerned .....the magic of football is that anyone can win on any given day..if we turn up and play well, then yes I’m expecting a good victory. Really important three points ....

It's funny at the start of the season folk were complaining we were picking up results but the football wasnt pretty. Now the tables have turned and we will accept a win no matter how it comes because those points we picked up whilst being boring have given us an excellent platform to succeed.

Honestly for the foreseeable future how we play is an afterthought for me if we are picking up points and finishing 3rd. We've finished 3rd a handful of times in my lifetime and never back to back so I'm not going to be fussy about it.

However if we can solidify our place as best of the rest but make no effort to actually play decent football after a while I can see why people might get a bit bored and want change, similar to what Aberdeen are going through

Never feel comfortable going into a Motherwell game, however a win today would go a long way to change that in the future. They definitely gave us a good game at the start of the season.

Left by mutual consent!

Let's return to this at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    If we beat Motherwell today then the result in the Celtic / Aberdeen game will mean that we are either closer to second or further away from fourth (or both if it is a draw).

The super optimist in me thinks that a win for Aberdeen would see us only 9 points behind Celtic with a game in hand.

Celtic still have to play The Rangers before the split, so lose against Aberdeen and they might only get 3 points between now and the split meaning they are on 67 points after 33 games.

Beating Motherwell would put us on 55 after 30 games. Three wins before the split would put us on 64 points. Just 3 behind second place going into the last 5 games.

Difficult but not impossible.

All starts with beating Motherwell today.
    I’ve gone back and forward all morning on the result I would prefer from the Celtic/Aberdeen game. Think I’m finally settled on Aberdeen pumping Celtic and us pushing on for second

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    Let's return to this at 5pm
    Well even if we don’t win at least I’ll have had a few hours of thinking we would

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I’ve gone back and forward all morning on the result I would prefer from the Celtic/Aberdeen game. Think I’m finally settled on Aberdeen pumping Celtic and us pushing on for second
    No chance of that. Aberdeen staying behind us is the priority. We still need to play them up there. Hoping for them to get points is mental.

Realistically we're not catching Celtc, so the best outcome for us is an Aberdeen loss.

But the one result we need from today is a Hibs win.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by thegaffer12 View Post
    Never feel comfortable going into a Motherwell game, however a win today would go a long way to change that in the future. They definitely gave us a good game at the start of the season.
    Take nothing for granted.On the face of it should be a comfortable Hibs victory given both teams recent results and performances but this is football and Hibs we are talking about.As long as we are focused and play as well as we can it should be enough for the 3 points but we will have to earn the victory as Motherwell will be fighting for their lives and desperate for any points.

Left by mutual consent!
    Motherwell have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 6 away matches, only defeats coming at Pittodrie - where they had ten men for the second half - and Parkhead - where they gave Celtic a good game.

I am surprised any Hibs fan would be supremely confident of victory today. Hope they prove me wrong though

Motherwell have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 6 away matches, only defeats coming at Pittodrie - where they had ten men for the second half - and Parkhead - where they gave Celtic a good game.

I am surprised any Hibs fan would be supremely confident of victory today. Hope they prove me wrong though
    Hibs are a better side than Aberdeen so not sure going to Pittodrie is a good barometer of why it’ll be a difficult game for Hibs. We turn up we win, it’s that simple. The game will be as easy as the players make it, we’re better in goals, better at the back, better in midfield and better up front, with the better manager. If we don’t win it’ll be because the team have underperformed. We have won 3 of our last 4 home games, 5 of our last 6 games, 4 on the spin, conceding very little with huge strength in depth.

Good stats.
    For a team like Motherwell you need to see their team before making a prediction.
    Their first picks are good but there is a big drop off behind them.
    Minus Campbell, O'Donnell etc they were cuffed last Saturday. Midweek, with Campbell and O'Donnell back they played much better and ground out a draw against St Mirren. They struggled to score but were strong in midfield.
    Could be tough game today but I will wait for the teams being announced before making a call.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 27-02-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Good stats.
    For a team like Motherwell you need to see their team before making a prediction.
    Their first picks are good but there is a big drop off behind them.
    Minus Campbell, Gallagher etc they were cuffed by Hamilton last Saturday. Midweek, with Campbell and a few others back they played much better and ground out a draw against St Mirren.
    Could be tough today but I will wait for the teams being announced before making a call.
    Campbell has played 27, Gallagher has played 24, Motherwell have played 30. Those two have played a huge part in a horrendous season for them. Both played when Hamilton cuffed them in January, both played when we cuffed them at Fir Park. Campbell also played against Hamilton the other week there, he missed last weekend against St Johnstone.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What works for us is that the atmosphere in the Aberdeen and Celtic dressing rooms is going to be all over the place - one team struggling badly for form and fan pressure on their manager, the other just seen their manager out the door and having blown the chance to win ten in a row.

We need to try to keep it that way. Even supportive messages on social media, stuff like that. The 'feel good' at Hibs isn't something at our rivals just now and it's an advantage in itself.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction