hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Lorimer

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Everyone wanted to be Peter Lorimer when I was a kid, a Scotland hero with easily the hardest shot in the world!
    Rest easy Peter.

Hector and Andudare’s posts are brilliant by the way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone wanted to be Peter Lorimer when I was a kid, a Scotland hero with easily the hardest shot in the world!
    Rest easy Peter.

Has brought back a lot of sadness from my own loss in all honesty. I nearly forgot a funny point that still makes me laugh today- My dad got involved with my primary school team and when they were picking the strips they had to match our school colours ....needless to say the Hibs strip wasn't an option so our Primary school played for years in THE Leeds Utd away strip - bright yellow with a solid blue and white strip down each sleeve yellow shorts and socks with he same trim- the whole strip! We felt like absolute football Gods in those strips and my dad was a bit of a hero for wrangling it.
    There you go- a Hibs fan and a Leeds fan all my days - finally getting some success that I can relate to after some absolutely horrific years!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Has brought back a lot of sadness from my own loss in all honesty. I nearly forgot a funny point that still makes me laugh today- My dad got involved with my primary school team and when they were picking the strips they had to match our school colours ....needless to say the Hibs strip wasn't an option so our Primary school played for years in THE Leeds Utd away strip - bright yellow with a solid blue and white strip down each sleeve yellow shorts and socks with he same trim- the whole strip! We felt like absolute football Gods in those strips and my dad was a bit of a hero for wrangling it.
    There you go- a Hibs fan and a Leeds fan all my days - finally getting some success that I can relate to after some absolutely horrific years!

i'm positive i still have that top locked away somewhere in my attic, loved it when i was a kid

maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i'm positive i still have that top locked away somewhere in my attic, loved it when i was a kid

Thats it! Loved that strip - iconic ! Lol,
    that might well be Capshard primary school!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Very sad to hear

Jimmy O'Rourke was in the same Scottish Schoolboys team as Peter.
    In fact,they were both in Manchester with their Dads the day Peter signed for Leeds.
    They were in Manchester at the invite of Matt Busby who wanted to sign them both.
    Leeds reps nipped in and got Peter.

Jimmy chose Hibs over a bunch of top English clubs !!
    Just spoke to Jimmy on the phone.
    Saddened at the news
    Jimmy mentioned that Peter took him to the boardroom to meet the bosses at Elland Road ,saying ,my Scottish Schoolboy team pal from Edinburgh !

Peter reminded Jimmy, that as a wee boy, his dad would take him on the train from Dundee to Edinburgh, to watch the Famous Five.
    Peter would describe himself, when asked down in Leeds, as a Hibs fan .

RIP Peter Lorimer
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 21-03-2021 at 11:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Some talent in that photo

Quote Originally Posted by andudare2 View Post
    have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today
    That's a nice find.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

I had that strip too....loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Some talent in that photo
    16 players and eight of them scots

Gordon McQueen
    Joe Jordan
    David Stewart(K)
    David Harvey(K)
    Eddie Gray
    Frank Gray
    Peter Lorimer
    and arguably leeds greatest ever Legend...Billy Bremner, if only Hibs offered 5K more :(

then of course Clark, Hunter, Yorath,Madely...imagine their worth in todays Market

i can remember Leeds having a squad of 33 players, 17 of them Scots :)

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I had that strip too....loved it!
    sort of made one stick out a bit in a crowd

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !
    Thanks for sharing that. Can also remember mention of Alan Gilzean being a Hibby also.

RIP Peter Lorimer absolute Scottish football legend.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    16 players and eight of them scots

Gordon McQueen
    Joe Jordan
    David Stewart(K)
    David Harvey(K)
    Eddie Gray
    Frank Gray
    Peter Lorimer
    and arguably leeds greatest ever Legend...Billy Bremner, if only Hibs offered 5K more :(

then of course Clark, Hunter, Yorath,Madely...imagine their worth in todays Market

i can remember Leeds having a squad of 33 players, 17 of them Scots :)

sort of made one stick out a bit in a crowd
    I've managed to work out all of them, except the guy between Lorimer and Bremner. I'm guessing Mick Bates, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I've managed to work out all of them, except the guy between Lorimer and Bremner. I'm guessing Mick Bates, but.....
    Think that is Mick Bates. Who is the guy between Bremner and Trevor Cherry. Assume that is Duncan McKenzie wide right front row.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think that is Mick Bates. Who is the guy between Bremner and Trevor Cherry. Assume that is Duncan McKenzie wide right front row.
    I assumed from C&R's post that that is Frankie Gray, although I didn't recognise him under all that hair.

And yeah, it is Duncan McKenzie.

I assumed from C&R's post that that is Frankie Gray, although I didn't recognise him under all that hair.

And yeah, it is Duncan McKenzie.
    Yep looks like Frankie Gray forgot about him.

i'l get back to you on that, soon(ishy) :)

maybe
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 21-03-2021 at 05:02 PM.

looking at a pretty fuzzy different photo you're both right, mick bates

and correct re frank gray
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 21-03-2021 at 05:12 PM.

I had this strip as well. While on holiday down in Whitley Bay we went into Newcastle for the day. My mum & dad bought me this strip as I was obsessed with Leeds Utd.

My all-time favourite strip. A close second is Scotland's 1978 World Cup strip.

Hibs have often had their away strip as yellow. Always reminds me when Hibs play in it of my old Leeds Utd kit.

What a legendary team they were in the 60's and 70' and Lorimer was a key cog in their machine. It was a privilege to see them play Hibs in 1973 in the UEFA Cup. If I could be transported back to see one game again it would be that one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Rest easy Peter.

We all used to shout LORIMER when we hit a volley, echoing the famous David Coleman commentary when he said 1-0 or 2-0 whatever it happened to be.
    You're quite right, EVERYONE wanted to be him and hit that screamer, what a player he was, and what a shot he had. RIP Peter.

Thanks for sharing that. Can also remember mention of Alan Gilzean being a Hibby also.

RIP Peter Lorimer absolute Scottish football legend.
    Gilzean definitely was a Hibby,as was Jim Baxter when he was young.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    A lot of people on here see a Hibs strip from bygone years and relate it to a certain player, eg The Adidas one with Frank Graham Group on the front makes me think of John Collins.

Similarly I was always impressed with the Leeds United Admiral strip that had players numbers on their socks.

Peter Lorimer is the image I get when I picture it.

The first time I saw Leeds at Easter Road they played in their blue and yellow quarters. Made John Charles look even bigger than he was.

Interesting he had such a hard shot for a fairly average-built bloke. Like Cropley or Riordan.

sadly another Leeds great has passed, Terry Cooper 77

tough couple of years for Leeds fans along with Peter Lorimer, Trevor Cherry, Paul Madeley, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter all passing

also a player mentioned in previous posts Mick Bates passed away just two weeks back
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 01-08-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Testimonial Due

tough couple of years for Leeds fans along with Peter Lorimer, Trevor Cherry, Paul Madeley, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter all passing

also a player mentioned in previous posts Mick Bates passed away just two weeks back
    I wonder how many of the deaths are related to their football activities - heading, tackling etc. Leeds were a hard physical side but could play to.

First Team Breakthrough

Smile

Can hardly believe that !!

Let me explain. Up at 5.45 this morning to take out my black lab for an empty. Back by approx 6.15.
    Sitting having a cup of tea and switched on telly. Caught up with news and then decided to have a look on channel 81 Talking Pictures ( I love it...I know I'm an auld saddo)
    Anyhow this old black and white picture is on and the scene is a guy sitting in his office at reception and a visitor comes in. The guy asks the visitor if he can help him and whats his name? The visitor replies " Mr Terence Cooper"

So that got me thinking. Terry Cooper, now he was some player! lol Was thinking of him against Jimmy Johnstone in 1970. He probably played against us 68/69. He had been replaced by Frank Gray by the time I saw him against us at Elland Road in 1973.

To come on here and then find Terry Cooper had died was spooky!

Hope I haven't dreamt all this