hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Lorimer

Peter Lorimer

No Hibs connection to my knowledge, except in opposition, but a Scotland player I always admired. BBC reporting that he is “very ill in a hospice with a long term illness”. 74 just. Sad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    yeah read that earlier :( what a shot he had on him, i'm positive some group thing in the 70's done some tests on the power of his shots with one getting measured at 107mph...boom

Testimonial Due
    Very sad. Part of my early 70s upbringing and a great Scottish player to.

Brain Cancer apparently, with weeks left. So very sad

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Known as the hardest shot in football in my youth. If you hit a piledriver it was a "Peter Lorimer" and that's in England.

He has my best wishes.

I guess I'm reaching an age like many of us on here when so many players we held in great esteem or have great memories of are falling by the wayside or becoming ill or suffering other health issues.

Broke my big toe trying a Lorimer special in the back garden after the Zaire game in 74 due to a half hidden buried brick under the ball.

Very sad to hear

Jimmy O'Rourke was in the same Scottish Schoolboys team as Peter.
    In fact,they were both in Manchester with their Dads the day Peter signed for Leeds.
    They were in Manchester at the invite of Matt Busby who wanted to sign them both.
    Leeds reps nipped in and got Peter.

Jimmy chose Hibs over a bunch of top English clubs !!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Broke my big toe trying a Lorimer special in the back garden after the Zaire game in 74 due to a half hidden buried brick under the ball.
    Sorry mate must have hurt, but made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Sorry mate must have hurt, but made me laugh.
    Was a Friday evening. Meant to be running the next day at the Scottish Schools Athletics Champs. Greeting x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Was a Friday evening. Meant to be running the next day at the Scottish Schools Athletics Champs. Greeting x2.
    Seriously ouch. Dont tell me a kid called Alan Wells took your place and the rest is history?

@hibs.net private member
    A real legend of the game. His shot was meant to be the hardest in the game.
    Sad all these players are passing on.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    A real legend of the game. His shot was meant to be the hardest in the game.
    Sad all these players are passing on.

Took a pen that measured over 100 mph - scary.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Very sad to hear

Jimmy O'Rourke was in the same Scottish Schoolboys team as Peter.
    In fact,they were both in Manchester with their Dads the day Peter signed for Leeds.
    They were in Manchester at the invite of Matt Busby who wanted to sign them both.
    Leeds reps nipped in and got Peter.

Jimmy chose Hibs over a bunch of top English clubs !!
    That’s why he is one of our own!

I remember when I was a kid maaany moons ago, sometimes when I was taking a shot at a goalkeeper I would scream Peter Lorimer before smashing it at the keeper, great days.

Lorimer was in my subbuteo team in the early 70s along with Best,Law, Cormack etc.Sadly not many of my team left now.For some reason Fitzpatrick was my centre half.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Known as the hardest shot in football in my youth. If you hit a piledriver it was a "Peter Lorimer" and that's in England.

He has my best wishes.

I guess I'm reaching an age like many of us on here when so many players we held in great esteem or have great memories of are falling by the wayside or becoming ill or suffering other health issues.
    Correct were getting to that age when lots of our heroes from the 70s are getting Ill or dying sad times
    As the old saying goes I get invited to more funerals than weddings these days.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Took a pen that measured over 100 mph - scary.
    Not against us at Easter Road. McArthur dived over it.
    Loved his goal againt Zaire, so much promise at the start of that campaign. Sad to hear of another great undergoing serious illness.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Lorimer was in my subbuteo team in the early 70s along with Best,Law, Cormack etc.Sadly not many of my team left now.For some reason Fitzpatrick was my centre half.
    The scruffy looking JohnFitzpatrick at Man Utd?
    He died in December

John was Man Utd's first ever sub
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 01-03-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Greatly respected as one of Leeds great Scots when they were the best team in England.

Like his team mate, Billy Bremner, there was transfer speculation in the sixties, in this case it was that Leeds offered cash plus Peter Lorimer for Peter Cormack, an amount that would have dwarfed the 80K that we eventually got from Forest. He was reported to be the hardest shot in Britain in his day.

Thoughts with Peter and his family.

@hibs.net private member
    RIP. A real hero of my childhood.

Very sad. Amazed to read his senior debut for Leeds was when still well shy of his 16th birthday. Imagine a 15 year-old up against some of the hatchet men teams had back in the 60s. Tough kid.

Lorimer claimed in his autobiography and in subsequent interviews that the Hibs v Leeds match of 1973 was a match fixing game.

Revie tipped the wink and Lorimer and some of the "lads" bet on Hibs to win but not all the team were in on it.

I always thought he was just trying to sell his book but was surprised he kept up the story in later interviews.

I never bought into the "match fixing" but maybe "not to bothered" if we lose is more accurate.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 20-03-2021 at 11:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    sad news, a Leeds great, a Scottish Leeds great

RIP peter lorimer :(

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Lorimer claimed in his autobiography and in subsequent interviews that the Hibs v Leeds match of 1973 was a match fixing game.

Revie tipped the wink and Lorimer and some of the "lads" bet on Hibs to win but not all the team were in on it.

I always thought he was just trying to sell his book but was surprised he kept up the story in later interviews.

I never bought into the "match fixing" but maybe "not to bothered" if we lose is more accurate.

It doesn't square with the great defensive performance Leeds put in at ER.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Before my time as a player, but a famous name as part of the great Leeds side of the early seventies and one of Scotland's best. Sad news.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Very sad news, especially for my generation.

Like all football daft kids in Britain, everyone down our park wanted to have a shot like the great Peter Lorimer.

My shots resembled Peter Lorre.

RIP to a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It doesn't square with the great defensive performance Leeds put in at ER.
    have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today
    Attached Images Attached Images

absolutely was a Hibs fan

Quote Originally Posted by andudare2 View Post
    have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today
    Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !
    😁👍👍