Thread: Marciano

Love him.

Superb keeper.

Is his wife Israeli too?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have we lost a goal from a corner this season?
    1st goal in cup semi v St Johnstone

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Anderson wasn’t at Rocky’s level for me. Been over it before but his legacy lives off that Rangers semi which was superb, his career was fairly drab though. Rocky has done it over a prolonged period for us, and is an ever present in his National team.
    I can't speak for others but I remember far more of Anderson than one semi final. He was superb in the O'Connor game v Hearts and largely kept us in games towards the end of that season when the wheels came off. He was also capped for and in Sweden squads when Magnus Hedman was playing Premier League football and Mattias Asper was the main man at AIK.

Maybe my memories of him are skewed by the fact we replaced him with Simon Brown then Zibi..... However I remember him as a very, very good goalkeeper. If pushed I would say Rocky is better but it's not a massive gulf in quality imo.

Goram was the keeper when I started going regularly. Best keeper I've seen at Hibs.

Leighton aside - who I thought was past it when he signed, he wasn't, he was brilliant! - Rocky is the best I've seen who has played over a number of seasons. Makes big saves with the odd error.

Seen some dross over the years. We'd do well to keep Rocky.

I am glad we have had rocky, even if he leaves, he’s been a solid keeper for us but probably more importantly it has stopped people talking about Ben Williams and him being a fantastic keeper. Williams was pap.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    What is good about Rocky is that it is accepted that he is more than decent and for long enough, the script was that we had crappy keepers and you just had to fill the name in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Hapoel Be’er Sheva supposedly monitoring his situation, whatever that means.

Reckon they’re ready to pounce if he doesn’t sign a new deal. Would be decent if we could get something sorted.
    They have a very nice new stadium and have had some good European performances in recent years.
    However, they play to smaller home crowds than Hibs in an inferior league whose average crowds are half that of our league.
    They beat a poor Motherwell this season but Hibs would beat them 9 times out of 10.

If Rangers win one more match in Europe our league will begin next season in 8th place in the UEFA coefficient.
    Israel's league will be 21st.

21st best league in Europe is guff and well below Marciano's ability so no point leaving Europe to go home yet.
    Hope we keep the big guy. We won't get better and might get a lot worse.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-02-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    What is good about Rocky is that it is accepted that he is more than decent and for long enough, the script was that we had crappy keepers and you just had to fill the name in.
    Imagine him in comparison to Oxley and people defended that boy. Even Simon Brown. I think he will be off though if the virus chills.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Hibs 68 View Post
    No windup must be my brain cells as I can’t recall Rocky being the main difference in a Hibs victory over the old firm.Care to enlighten me as happy to be proved wrong.
    Not OF game but seem to remember in the championship season vs Raith I think it was at ER where he made save after save. Was almost getting silly the amount he was keeping them out.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Bogdan isn't first choice for Ferencvaros. Has been limited to cup games this season. We could do a lot worse than bring him back if Rocky does go in the summer. Bogdan isn't young but still has two or three good years left in him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Bogdan isn't first choice for Ferencvaros. Has been limited to cup games this season. We could do a lot worse than bring him back if Rocky does go in the summer. Bogdan isn't young but still has two or three good years left in him.
    I think he’s the better goalie.

Reckon it will be a case of 'don't know what you've got till it's gone' with Rocky. I remember the decade or so before we signed him and the seemingly neverending search for a reliable man between the sticks. He's made the odd mistake (what keeper hasn't?) but they pale into insignificance when compared against the number of (truly) incredible saves and general assurance he has given us over the years IMO. Will be very sad to see him go, if that is where we are headed.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    I think he’s the better goalie.
    Personally I'd edge it to Rocky but Bogdan is a more than decent keeper. He's 33 (I think) and he's better than rusting away as a back up keeper in Hungary. Really surprised no club in England or Scotland has been in for him particularly as he isn't getting anything like a regular game. A good few seasons left in him if he is indeed 33. He may well have gone home for personal reasons of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchard_Hibs View Post
    I am glad we have had rocky, even if he leaves, he’s been a solid keeper for us but probably more importantly it has stopped people talking about Ben Williams and him being a fantastic keeper. Williams was pap.
    You didn't see the actual pap goalies if you think Williams was bad. Maybe if Brown, Zibi, maka, Smith, stack, brown etc didn't exist then you Could call Williams pap but he was levels above them. Very good in his first year.

Are some people really not that concerned about Rocky leaving? He has been fantastic for us. We had a nightmare with keepers before him. Rocky is very reliable and more often than not spectacular . He doesn’t often come for crosses but nor did Budgie. Every keeper has a preference and much is dependent on the defenders and the system. His distribution is decent overall but some folk have unrealistic views on what he should be able to do.Should Rocky be expected to make passes that our defence/midfield cannot make?

Rocky leaving would be a big defensive blow as recent history has shown that this has been a real problem position at Hibs.

Partly this is due to the money Hibs can offer compared to other clubs but many times due to just really duff choices.

Game changing saves and spectacular TV saves are one thing but its much better to have solid game after game consistency in the course of a 40 plus game season.

Rocky offered and indeed provided that as did Daniel Anderson and to a lesser extent Ben Williams.

The rest of the cast and there were loads didn't even come close.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 26-02-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You didn't see the actual pap goalies if you think Williams was bad. Maybe if Brown, Zibi, maka, Smith, stack, brown etc didn't exist then you Could call Williams pap but he was levels above them. Very good in his first year.
    Budgie, Leighton, Anderson, Rocky it’s quicker to name the good goalies I’ve seen than the bad.

I know Williams wasn’t quite as bad but he was never as good as he’s remembered and he definitely doesn’t make the good list

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    Not OF game but seem to remember in the championship season vs Raith I think it was at ER where he made save after save. Was almost getting silly the amount he was keeping them out.
    Think it may have been Dunfermline he was sensational. Think he has been an excellent goalie for us and will be a loss. Can remember a draw at home v Celtic when he had loads of saves near the end. Still hopeful he will stay but can understand if he wanted to move home given his young family.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 26-02-2021 at 06:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think it may have been Dunfermline he was sensational. Think he has been an excellent goalie for us and will be a loss. Can R.E.M. er a draw at home v Celtic when he had loads of saves near the end. Still hopeful he will stay but can understand if he wanted to move home given his young family.
    That’s a cracker of a predictive text malfunction :) making up words with random US indie band references :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    That’s a cracker of a predictive text malfunction :) making up words with random US indie band references :)
    thought predictive text was supposed to help.

It will be a bad day if Ofir leaves, great goalie.

@hibs.net private member
    He’s a decent keeper and has done fine with Hibs. But JR has made it clear, there will come a time when the contract offer is withdrawn. He either wants to be at Hibs or not, I’m not that fussed either way. I don’t blame him for wanting as big a pay day as he can get but next seasons contracts may not be as big as players think. The world will still be in serious economic meltdown and football will not be immune.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    He’s a decent keeper and has done fine with Hibs. But JR has made it clear, there will come a time when the contract offer is withdrawn. He either wants to be at Hibs or not, I’m not that fussed either way. I don’t blame him for wanting as big a pay day as he can get but next seasons contracts may not be as big as players think. The world will still be in serious economic meltdown and football will not be immune.
    I think you are undervaluing him a bit. He's a very decent keeper (at this level) and has done more than fine with Hibs. Having said that he does still give me the heebie-jeebies sometimes with the ball at his feet, albeit a tad less so this season, and I am never overflowing with confidence when the opposition have a corner. Bogdan sneaks it for me on these two fronts, but Rocky is the better reactive shot stopper. I presume that given his ongoing procrastination, Hibs will already have given thought to a replacement. Bogdan would do nicely for a couple of seasons. Mind you, that absolute fud MacGregor is still on form at 39. Dabrowski was getting VG reviews at Dumbarton. If we end up securing 3rd place mathematically before the last match (or two), and we cannot catch 2nd, I'd like to see what he's made of.

I've slept through a few Hibs games.

Rocky is the best keeper I've ever seen at Hibs, it will be a sad day when/if he moves on.

I wouldn't begrudge him a move to his homeland, or indeed to any team that might double or treble his wage - he's given us a number of outstanding years.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Rocky is the best keeper I've ever seen at Hibs, it will be a sad day when/if he moves on.

I wouldn't begrudge him a move to his homeland, or indeed to any team that might double or treble his wage - he's given us a number of outstanding years.
    I agree in my time watching Hibs as a supporter (from the McLeish era) he's probably the best keeper we've had and I'll be sad to see him go. I will add that our goal keeper recruitment has been pretty good of late, with even the guys being brought in as back up probably far superior to our previous first pick pre-Rocky. While I'll be sad if he goes I'm fairly confident we'll be able to replace him with someone good.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Be'er sheva seem to be a fairly big club in Israel but honestly thought he would of been more ambitious. Don't know what the money is like over there but in terms of football ambition is a backwards/sideways step IMO, of course there are other factors at play now, he will be homesick after covid.

Best keeper I have seen in my 20 years watching Hibs and it's not even close. (Apart from Bogdan who I liked also.)

Would make him highest earner if it's down to money.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Be'er sheva seem to be a fairly big club in Israel but honestly thought he would of been more ambitious. Don't know what the money is like over there but in terms of football ambition is a backwards/sideways step IMO, of course there are other factors at play now, he will be homesick after covid.

Best keeper I have seen in my 20 years watching Hibs and it's not even close. (Apart from Bogdan who I liked also.)

I think Rocky is worth pushing the boat out for.
    Bogdan has barely played a game since his concussion injury at Hibs and I would be concerned at bringing him back for that reason. He was very good until that injury but non existent since.
    Macey looked good in the games he has played but we haven't seen enough of him.
    Marciano is a much better bet. We know what we are getting and can live with his minor weaknesses whilst benefiting from his many strengths.

@hibs.net private member
    In his first season at Hibs distribution was a real weakness for Rocky but he has clearly worked on it and has come on leaps and bounds in that respect such that it is really not a problem at all now. His real strength is shot stopping - probably THE most important attribute for any goalkeeper - and he has been consistently fantastic in that respect, saving us points on a regular basis throughout his Hibs career.

Replacing him with equivalent quality, while not impossible, would certainly be no easy task and I would be delighted if he decides to extend his stay some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post

Did it maybe occur to you that he may want to return home after playing the the last 5 years away from home, maybe he feels it's time to return, he'll be 32 next birthday and will be looking at retiring in the net 2-3 years.