hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At risk of causing a riot, I’m not convinced yet that he’s all that good.

Strong start certainly, scored a few goals, but our team looked better once he wasn’t in it and it might be that having played against him a couple of times now defenders have sussed out how to play against him.

He’s still got time to improve his game etc but for me he’s got a long way to go before he can be considered too good for us and worthy of a multi million pound move.

May yet be a very good player, has certainly shown promise but has a lot yet to prove.
    He definitely has something about him for me. I think he scores goals that nobody else at the club will, just the instinctive ones.

Think he made a mistake in January with the transfer request. It almost got forgotten about because we went on a winning run as it happened. I don’t think it reflected well on him though and he needs to get the head down and score a few goals between now and the end of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He definitely has something about him for me. I think he scores goals that nobody else at the club will, just the instinctive ones.

Think he made a mistake in January with the transfer request. It almost got forgotten about because we went on a winning run as it happened. I don’t think it reflected well on him though and he needs to get the head down and score a few goals between now and the end of the season.
    Yeh, him handing in a transfer request like that was nuts when you look back at it now. What was the guy thinking, I get he'll have his agent in his ear but come on.

I wonder how much that's affected relations and is impacting his current performance levels

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Indeed, I think he would admit that himself.

With the Hibs offer on the table he was trying to get a better deal. He gambled thinking he had the Hibs contract to fall back on, he lost.

Has never been the same player since.
    I think shattering his knee was what caused the decline in his career rather than not signing a new deal with us.

At risk of causing a riot, I’m not convinced yet that he’s all that good.

Strong start certainly, scored a few goals, but our team looked better once he wasn’t in it and it might be that having played against him a couple of times now defenders have sussed out how to play against him.

He’s still got time to improve his game etc but for me he’s got a long way to go before he can be considered too good for us and worthy of a multi million pound move.

May yet be a very good player, has certainly shown promise but has a lot yet to prove.
    I respect your opinion, S, but I think he’s easily the best striker we’ve had since we enjoyed having Stokes and Cummings to select (I guess that’s not saying too much given what we’ve had since). Hopefully he’s either here long enough to prove that, or we get serious money for him to go and prove it elsewhere.

He has a first touch, movement and awareness that we’ve not had from a goal scorer in quite a while.

I remember a lot of .net posters keen to play down the quality of Shankland compared to both Doidge and Nisbet (before we signed him). I still think both Shankland and Kevin are two proper quality scottish strikers.. and for me only a fully fit and sharp Leigh Griffiths could claim to be ahead of them in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Yeh, him handing in a transfer request like that was nuts when you look back at it now. What was the guy thinking, I get he'll have his agent in his ear but come on.

I wonder how much that's affected relations and is impacting his current performance levels

I actually don't think it was nuts at all. He saw a chance to make the kind of money that might set him up for life by playing at a higher level of football on a bigger stage.

His loyalty to the club is prob on a par with the clubs loyalty to him, in that if he went off the boil majorly and wasn't cutting it any more, he'd be moved on, same as any club do to any player that doesn't make the cut.

It's a business.

I think he will be away in the summer, just for less that we got offered in Jan

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I actually don't think it was nuts at all. He saw a chance to make the kind of money that might set him up for life by playing at a higher level of football on a bigger stage.

His loyalty to the club is prob on a par with the clubs loyalty to him, in that if he went off the boil majorly and wasn't cutting it any more, he'd be moved on, same as any club do to any player that doesn't make the cut.

It's a business.

I think he'd be best advised not to. If he carries on like that, he'll get a reputation of always being a flight risk. Compare and contrast with SJM.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Pretty much where I am. Made no sense at all for him to kick up given he is just in the door at our wonderful club. Wee bit disrespectful imo.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Pretty much where I am. Made no sense at all for him to kick up given he is just in the door at our wonderful club. Wee bit disrespectful imo.
    Not only that but to the first club who came calling. A club who may be in a big city but are utter pish. Doesn’t strike me that his agent was acting in his best interests.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post

It's a business.

The club showed its loyalty to him by giving him a 4 years deal on vastly improved terms than he was on. The very least he could do was to not ask for a transfer request 6 months later.

Has Nisbet submitted a transfer request?

Has Nisbet submitted a transfer request?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I respect your opinion, S, but I think he’s easily the best striker we’ve had since we enjoyed having Stokes and Cummings to select (I guess that’s not saying too much given what we’ve had since). Hopefully he’s either here long enough to prove that, or we get serious money for him to go and prove it elsewhere.

He has a first touch, movement and awareness that we’ve not had from a goal scorer in quite a while.

I remember a lot of .net posters keen to play down the quality of Shankland compared to both Doidge and Nisbet (before we signed him). I still think both Shankland and Kevin are two proper quality scottish strikers.. and for me only a fully fit and sharp Leigh Griffiths could claim to be ahead of them in that regard.
    He's good.

But let's be honest here, he's had a good half a season. The same as what someone like Jamie Maclaren had when he first showed up and look at how his second loan went (although there was probably A LOT more that contributed to that being poor than just Maclaren).

Someone offered us a massive opportunity to get a huge return on our investment and I said it at the time when it was kicking off but I felt that it was a mistake to not accept the bid for him. I'm yet to feel different in the 28 days since. I would be delightedly surprised if that level of offer comes back this summer, or the following windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    He's good.

But let's be honest here, he's had a good half a season. The same as what someone like Jamie Maclaren had when he first showed up and look at how his second loan went (although there was probably A LOT more that contributed to that being poor than just Maclaren).

Someone offered us a massive opportunity to get a huge return on our investment and I said it at the time when it was kicking off but I felt that it was a mistake to not accept the bid for him. I'm yet to feel different in the 28 days since. I would be delightedly surprised if that level of offer comes back this summer, or the following windows.
    Don’t get me wrong - he’s still to prove he’s as good as I think he is. But I am a lot more excited about his talent than I was Jamie McLaren’s.

Certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been spectacularly wrong of course!

First Team Breakthrough
    I think if we get good money for both in the summer it would be good business. I wish the pair of them all the success in the world but feel with Porteous, he makes far too many mistakes for my liking. He looks comfortable on the ball but finesse isn't a defender's priority..think more Darren McGregor, a much more commanding guardsman.

I wouldn’t be playing Porteous right now - far too many mistakes that lead to goals.

We looked better with McGregor in the team, and I still think we should pick our best team over putting folk in the shop window.

There won’t be many players in the league flogging the sorts of goals Porteous is flogging on a weekly basis right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Salisbury Hibby View Post
    I think he'd be best advised not to. If he carries on like that, he'll get a reputation of always being a flight risk. Compare and contrast with SJM.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    This ! Any player handing in a transfer request after just 6 months is nuts or very badly advised.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I wouldn’t be playing Porteous right now - far too many mistakes that lead to goals.

We looked better with McGregor in the team, and I still think we should pick our best team over putting folk in the shop window.

There won’t be many players in the league flogging the sorts of goals Porteous is flogging on a weekly basis right now.
    Likewise. I posted on the private forum the other day, but imo Daz whilst limited in appearances has put in the best performances out of all our centre halves this season.

He won’t be around forever, so whilst he is and performing at that level he should be the first centre half on the team sheet. I’d then say Hanlon plays ahead of Porteous.

Porteous isn’t ready for a big move yet. Daz should definitely be in the team as he only has so much time left till it’s time to stop though it looks like he’s trying everything possiblebto play for a good while yet. Nisbet on the other hand is definitely a player who other clubs will be watching. He has what all good striker have,the knack of being in the right place to score and is a very composed finisher. His goal at Ross county looked simple only because his anticipation and his one at parkheid was very missable but he made it look easy. I’m sue hibs have their price so Kevin will know he’s not leaving till it’s met. Shows we’re doing something right when others want our players. Not the likes of Birmingham or millwall mind you. Nisbet would be ideal for Norwich imho.

I honestly don't think Porto has had a great season at all...would not have concerned me 1 bit had he been sold in Jan...has let us down on numerous occasions this season - terrible in both Semis at Hampden and been too many individual errors from him like Sat. Bring back Daz for Top 6 games imho...him alongside Hanlon and McGinn is the best way to tackle these games

Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    I think if we get good money for both in the summer it would be good business. I wish the pair of them all the success in the world but feel with Porteous, he makes far too many mistakes for my liking. He looks comfortable on the ball but finesse isn't a defender's priority..think more Darren McGregor, a much more commanding guardsman.
    Finesse is 100% a priority for any footballer if we want the game to improve. If Porto cuts out the daft mistakes that create chances for the opposition he will do just fine. It’s the mental side of his game that needs to improve.

First Team Breakthrough
    If Porteous could iron out the mistakes, he'd be some player. I hope he gets there.

In his interview on you YouTube he holds his hands up and admitted his concentration needs to be 90mins other whys it can lead to the opposition scoring,also good to hear that he wants more goals in his game👍