hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nisbet and Porteous, shop window?

Odd situation to be in really.

The two most wanted and valued assets of the club not starting games.

If they are both going in the summer, can see the offers being less if they aren't getting the chance to perform?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If they are both going in the summer, can see the offers being less if they aren't getting the chance to perform?
    I would imagine if someone was offering millions of pounds they won’t do so on the basis of a few months when they’ve not got back into a winning side.

I also think both will play plenty football between now and the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Given how the club reacted to offers for Nisbet I doubt they want them in the shop window at all. I have a feeling we are building a decent squad for the league campaigns going forward. I would imagine both Porto and Nisbet are in those plans. Hibs will sell when it suits them best. Also who gets dropped to get them back into the team? The team is on a winning streak and it would be silly to change it just to squeeze these two into the first 11.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Also a wee taste of reality for both, no guaranteed place and if you want a high move show us in training and on the pitch. TBH both players performances had dropped in recent weeks, so being on the bench will be no big surprise.

Hibs are in a far better position come the summer. Would be no need to accept less than was offered desperately in January.

4 games they`ve been dropped we have won all 4,granted Ryan came on and scored against St Mirren but why bring them back if its working without them? Sure their time will come but i`ll be honest I`m not sure we are missing them at the moment,and even when he comes on
    I don`t think Nisbet has had any real impact.

Testimonial Due
    Securing third is the priority, while the current team keeps winning and stays fit they can wait

The summer will take care of itself, third or higher is rightly the priority just now!

First priority has to be results and the team are getting better ones without them in it at the moment

They maybe valued assets but they still need to earn their spot in the starting 11.

They’ll need to work very hard to get back in.

As for offers, teams will know we won’t be mucked about so they need to pay what we value them at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the offers aren't good they won't be moving.

I think Nisbet will start the next game, either in place or Doidge or Murphy. Most likely Doidge.

Thought he looked really sharp on Saturday when he came on and was much more of a goal threat Doidge had been.

Doidge has been important to us and whilst I don’t think he’s been brilliant, he makes it awkward and is a good foil for Boyle. He’s now not scored in something like 13 games though.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

It’s not that odd really. Young central defender gets dropped , an auld heid comes in and plays well, steadying the team and shoring up a defence that was looking well ropey.

Equally Nisbet was looking out of form. Doidge isn’t scoring either, but he’s teaming up well with Boyle who has had a change of role and is scoring consistently.

Both need to earn their place in the side and the guys who keep winning games will be doing their best to stay in the team. A masterclass in man management and tactical awareness from our manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    They maybe valued assets but they still need to earn their spot in the starting 11.

They’ll need to work very hard to get back in.

As for offers, teams will know we won’t be mucked about so they need to pay what we value them at.

and a bit of reality for both players as well IMO no player is bigger than the club, boths form had dipped they can have no complaints, fight for the right of the jersey lads i hope you have a long wait

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    In hindsight we should have took the money, doubt we will get more in the summer unless they back in the team and hit form

The team won’t stay the same until the end of the season. Even when winning you need to freshen it up and change to each games needs. ‘Don’t change a winning team’ is something I’d expect to hear in the 70’s. Last week we brought Newell in because it suits him better. We were garbage against St Mirren and those two players changed the game coming on yet we give credit to the starters. Nisbet and Porteous will play a big part of our last 8 games.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    In hindsight we should have took the money, doubt we will get more in the summer unless they back in the team and hit form

We might see a feel good factor in the summer if the end of this pandemic is actually in sight. Clubs might go on a spending spree to celebrate.

Let’s slap a price tag of £20m on each and see if anyone bites.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    No ambition.

Do we just drop our drawers at the first sign of cash?

They both add to the squad. They are excellent replacements if someone gets injured or suspended. Both will have a big part to play in the remaining games so definitely think it was right not to sell. What Aberdeen would give for a player like Nisbet right now and we've got him on the bench while winning game after game. Surely that will get in their heads in the race for 3rd. Any advantage is worth it.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Squad game. ‘nuff said.

This was what I was getting at.

Sure Nisbet would have been told hell get his move in the summer seeing as he showed he wants it.

Not staying we should have sold.

But imo, we ain't going to get what was on the table for either given the changed circumstances

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    No ambition.

Do we just drop our drawers at the first sign of cash?
    No but I don’t think Nisbet and Porto are worth much more to be honest, all good thinking you might get more but look at teams like Aberdeen, they could have had around £8m for McKenna, held off and ended up getting around £3m

No but I don’t think Nisbet and Porto are worth much more to be honest, all good thinking you might get more but look at teams like Aberdeen, they could have had around £8m for McKenna, held off and ended up getting around £3m
    Who offered them £8m???

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Who offered them £8m???

Hearts

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Who offered them £8m???

Aston Villa supposed to have offer them it when they were in the championship, sure it was supposed to be £6.5 mill up front then add ons, crazy they rejected it

Thankfully the powers at Hibs decided they are worth more. We could’ve sold Nisbet, lost Doidge to injury and then been goosed for the second half of the season. Even if we got the same £3m in the summer it’s a far better time to sell. However, who’s to say ours might no go the other way, reject the £3m and get £5m? Would you still be saying we should’ve sold him in January then?

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll ever get a better offer for Nisbet. But there's nothing more important than Hibs winning games and whilst he's here we have a better squad so I'm glad we turned it down. Porteous I think should be worth more than what Millwall were offering.

The financial landscape is changing though with Scotland's co-efficient improving- we can now make money through sustained good performance by the team as a whole, which is a much better incentive than purely being a showcase for young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll ever get a better offer for Nisbet. But there's nothing more important than Hibs winning games and whilst he's here we have a better squad so I'm glad we turned it down. Porteous I think should be worth more than what Millwall were offering.

The financial landscape is changing though with Scotland's co-efficient improving- we can now make money through sustained good performance by the team as a whole, which is a much better incentive than purely being a showcase for young talent.
    Interesting way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Given how the club reacted to offers for Nisbet I doubt they want them in the shop window at all. I have a feeling we are building a decent squad for the league campaigns going forward. I would imagine both Porto and Nisbet are in those plans. Hibs will sell when it suits them best. Also who gets dropped to get them back into the team? The team is on a winning streak and it would be silly to change it just to squeeze these two into the first 11.
    Hibs won’t keep unhappy players look how that has worked out for Celtic this year. If they want to go they will both go it will be all about trying to get the best deals.

Personally if we get third and the transfer window allows it I would ask them to stay for the European qualifying round then let them leave with our blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

As long as he gets back to doing what he was doing, we’ll get at least an equivalent offer. He’s a good player, he’ll be back in the team before too long.