hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Appeal

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hamilton have won the appeal and it’s been reduced to a yellow.
    And rightly so, good to see common sense has prevailed, often these appeals have some strange outcomes but this was correct.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Trial by sportscene wins the day again.

Mental decision.

The podcast I was listening to featuring JJ Bull, the most annoying voice on Scottish football out there, also claiming it was a harsh red. Unbelievable to me, read the rules, he went in high and out of control. It does not matter if you win the ball first these days, have you been sleeping on how the rules have changed??

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Poor stuff. So be prepared for Martin Boyle to be booted black and blue again for the rest of the season and beyond. High boot, off the ground, not in control, just because Boyle wasn't hurt doesn't make it OK
    Agree 100%.This declares open season on performing GBH on Martin Boyle.

Still think it was a red card,but as nothing surprises me in Scottish football not surprised it was rescinded.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    It really wasnt that bad a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Apparently it warranted a yellow........

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Shocking decision.

Someone’s going to get a sore one going in like that!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    It really wasnt that bad a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Potentially it was.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Agree 100%.This declares open season on performing GBH on Martin Boyle.

Still think it was a red card,but as nothing surprises me in Scottish football not surprised it was rescinded.
    Boyle’s been booted all over the park this season with very little protection from refs. Opposition players target him.

Here was me thinking we need to protect the players trying to play football!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    And rightly so, good to see common sense has prevailed, often these appeals have some strange outcomes but this was correct.
    Nobody got injured ....... but that was just pure luck. That type of reckless challenge has no place in sport yet now gets the green light. I hope you feel as righteous when one causes severe injury.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    The inevitable consequences are that the referee gets a black mark (despite having consulted his assistant) and will probably be refereeing Championship matches for the next few weeks. Other referees will take note and be more careful of issuing red cards and protecting players like Martin Boyle. The Compliance Officer will be the one that effectively issues red cards and punishment takes effect in the following games.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Nobody got injured ....... but that was just pure luck. That type of reckless challenge has no place in sport yet now gets the green light. I hope you feel as righteous when one causes severe injury.
    I don’t feel righteous,I just happen to have a different opinion on the tackle than you do.

When it happened I thought it was bad. When I saw it back I didn’t think there was much in it. The foot he leads with played the ball, about a foot away from Boyle, and his trailing leg caught Boyle on the left foot. Not a red for me.

It was out of control but a yellow and a serious talking to by the ref might have been a better tactic. A red card should be a last resort. That's football these days though.

Off the ground at pace, studs up, catches the Hibs player who had toed the ball first. Struggling to see how it's not a red.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Match officials are only human and can make genuine mistakes for various reasons - not having a clear view of an incident is one of the most common.

Here we had both the referee & linesman (& probably the 4th official) who all had a direct view of what happened and there seemed little option but to issue a red card.

I think it's wrong that a sending off for a tackle as potentially dangerous should be overturned on the basis of stills from videos and slow-motion.

A I said elsewhere, had Hamilton been a fraction of a second later, then Boyle would probably have been in a stookie for the rest of the season.

I think sometimes the referee's first instinct is correct, regardless what later high-tech analysis shows.

I'm not surprised it's been downgraded to be honest.

I wasn't convinced it was a red card.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    reckless tackle for me but not bothered it has been reduced to a yellow as it means he will be able to play against Aberdeen.

Thought it was a red at the time & still think it’s reckless

The whole point of the law is to protect players from career ending injuries.
    These generally happen when the player has a leg planted and an opposing player goes through it with force.
    The only way you can avoid it is for players to be in control of their tackles.
    Hamilton came into the tackle on Saturday at such speed and force that i thought it was reckless and the fact that Boyle evaded serious injury was irrelevant.
    Nothing worse in the game than players getting career ending injuries and Saturday could easily have been one of them.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-02-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Bit of a joke considering some of the red cards from strong but fair challenges that have stood.
    Think Porto on barasic, went in firm but in control, won the ball without studs showing and caught the jumping barasic with the follow through.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    These generally happen when the player has a leg planted and an opposing player goes through it with force.
    Hamilton came into the tackle on Saturday at such speed and force that i thought it was reckless and the fact that Boyle evaded serious injury was irrelevant.
    Nothing worse in the game than players getting career ending injuries and Saturday could easily have been one of them.

Exactly. If a Hibs player had put in that tackle and got a red he would have got no sympathy from me.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I don’t think the fact that Boyle didn’t get injured is irrelevant. There’s be multiple red cards in a game if folk got sent off for something that might have happened.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Agree 100% that it should have been a red card.
    Brian Rice is claiming that he spoke to Martin Boyle at half time and Boyle said “He caught me but it wasn’nt a bad tackle”
    Looks like Hamilton are building up a case here.
    I wonder if Boyle thought the same after watching it back. It was a career ender if he had caught Boyler firmly and the exact type of tackle that should be getting a red card. I'd far rather see players sent off for that than a bit of shoving and some toy fighting.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Thought it might have been downgraded. As i said before, was never a red to me. Happily take it though.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    It was reckless. In this day and age I think it’s red because of the force and intent. The bit that boils my puss is the consistency. If that’s only deemed a yellow then Porteous’ tackle on the hun was too. Arguable less forceful.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I am not that bothered about this. I thought it was a red at the time and I still think that. It makes absolutely no difference to Hibs so I'm not bothered it's been downgraded. It would be interesting to see why the SFA have downgraded this and what evidence they used but as we won't play them again this season it's not an issue. Hopefully the laddie will learn from that and not make such rash tackles in the future.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    A far worse challenge than the one Porteous got sent off for and basically a green flag for career ending challenges. Scottish football is a total joke at times. It drives me nuts that a challenge like that is deemed after close scrutiny to be yellow yet a tiny shove which ends up connecting with a face is deemed red. The rules for red cards really need looked at and this type of challenge should be right at the top of the list for obvious reds whether contact is made or not

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    A far worse challenge than the one Porteous got sent off for and basically a green flag for career ending challenges. Scottish football is a total joke at times. It drives me nuts that a challenge like that is deemed after close scrutiny to be yellow yet a tiny shove which ends up connecting with a face is deemed red. The rules for red cards really need looked at and this type of challenge should be right at the top of the list for obvious reds whether contact is made or not
    Agree with your point on folk getting red cards for a bit pushing and silly things like that. But I do think contact/impact has to play a part in decision making as well. I think the boy was genuinely going for the ball, his leading leg is up because the ball is bouncing up. It looked worse at first because he was going at speed but things happen quickly in games and I don’t think you can stop that. I don’t think folk should be getting sent off for not actually hitting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree with your point on folk getting red cards for a bit pushing and silly things like that. But I do think contact/impact has to play a part in decision making as well. I think the boy was genuinely going for the ball, his leading leg is up because the ball is bouncing up. It looked worse at first because he was going at speed but things happen quickly in games and I don’t think you can stop that. I don’t think folk should be getting sent off for not actually hitting someone.
    He was very lucky he never made contact. He took absolutely no regard for the outcome of his tackle, studs up, at high pace, at a distance, lunged out of control, in the air. Total disregard for a fellow pro. Whether he meant it or not isn’t mitigation. He wasn’t intending to hurt Boyle, but at no point did he think of what outcome his tackle could’ve had should Boyle have been 6 inches faster.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He was very lucky he never made contact. He took absolutely no regard for the outcome of his tackle, studs up, at high pace, at a distance, lunged out of control, in the air. Total disregard for a fellow pro. Whether he meant it or not isn’t mitigation. He wasn’t intending to hurt Boyle, but at no point did he think of what outcome his tackle could’ve had should Boyle have been 6 inches faster.
    Of course he didn’t think. It was a split second decision, he thought he could get the ball (and did when the ball was about a foot away from Boyle). His trailing leg which wasn’t really off the ground caught Boyle’s standing foot which was on the ground.

If the studs had clattered in to Boyle’s knee then that’s a different story. The fact they were nowhere near doing so maybe shows that he wasn’t as out of control as is being suggested, despite the fact he was moving at pace.

Rice was only yards away and was adamant it wasn’t a red. Ross was even closer and I’m sure he even said he was surprised it was a red.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 24-02-2021 at 03:36 PM.