hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    First memories of Goodieson was TV coverage of that football tournament held in England in 1966. The low wall around the pitch and I think it was a Hungarian (could it have been Bulgarian) player shoulder charged (down right assaulted) over the wall and a fair drop on to the concrete terrace behind the goals. He was clearly injured but carried on playing as no subs were allowed those days.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 23-02-2021 at 10:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I thought that revenue from ticket sales didn’t really matter much to teams in the greatest league in the world?

Are Everton really going to attract massive gates, outside fixtures v Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can’t say I’d fancy the idea of them playing in Tranent either but each to their own. Never happened so let’s be thankful.
    Only picked Tranent because the training centre is there.

I'm happy we play where we do, but still regret that we had to get rid of the slope.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

https://youtu.be/eHnPtZGeBfA

I really like the look of it.

Not that it will ever happen, but if we were to ever leave Easter Road for whatever reason I would love to see us do something like this down in Leith Docks.
    Last edited by Lendo; 23-02-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I thought that revenue from ticket sales didn’t really matter much to teams in the greatest league in the world?

Are Everton really going to attract massive gates, outside fixtures v Liverpool?
    They're a big club, and if they keep getting results like the one on Saturday then they'll have no issues selling out a ground.

Very good crowds for a few decades to watch a team that has been miles behind the top teams in the country.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Goodison is sold out most weeks and signings like Rodriguez appeal to the tourists too. The move will also have a lot to do with hospitality opportunities the hospitality at goodison isn’t a great offering for their size due to limited space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been to Goodison a few times, it's got a really good atmosphere, but it is also a bit of a dump, for an EPL stadium even Easter Road beats it by some way.

The good news for Everton fans is that at least the new stadium will be in Liverpool, rather than outside the city limits, which is what the proposed Kirkby move would have given them. Anyway, where better for a Scouse football team than right on the banks of the Mersey

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Been to Goodison a few times, it's got a really good atmosphere, but it is also a bit of a dump, for an EPL stadium even Easter Road beats it by some way.

The good news for Everton fans is that at least the new stadium will be in Liverpool, rather than outside the city limits, which is what the proposed Kirkby move would have given them. Anyway, where better for a Scouse football team than right on the banks of the Mersey
    Posted on the other thread which got closed that I went along to see them play against Man City in a cup game a few years back whilst I was in Liverpool. The pillars were a nightmare, I’m glad we don’t have any at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Posted on the other thread which got closed that I went along to see them play against Man City in a cup game a few years back whilst I was in Liverpool. The pillars were a nightmare, I’m glad we don’t have any at ER.
    Totally unrelated, but have you seen the new Edinburgh Rugby ground down at Murrayfield? How the hell can you spend nearly 6 million quid and end up with that forest of poles restricting the view from every single stand, whoever designed it and whoever at Edinburgh rugby approved it wants shooting

Totally unrelated, but have you seen the new Edinburgh Rugby ground down at Murrayfield? How the hell can you spend nearly 6 million quid and end up with that forest of poles restricting the view from every single stand, whoever designed it and whoever at Edinburgh rugby approved it wants shooting
    Wasn’t aware until I just searched it up. Looks ridiculous 😂

Not a keen rugby watcher but the artificial turf is more concerning to me, quite how that works for that sport I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Not a keen rugby watcher but the artificial turf is more concerning to me, quite how that works for that sport I have no idea
    I played rugby at school on artificial, the old plastic kind. It was not fun.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    that is awful! Stands look like the have a very shallow rake too. If your sitting behind some big former prop forward called Gregor, you’ll see nothing at all !

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Easter Road is our home and i would hate us to ever consider selling our soul. When a club leaves its spiritual home the spirit dies within the relocation

It's totally hideous.

Whoever gave that design the go-ahead needs their head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    It’ll be a good move for Everton, the Hibs of Merseyside

that said, what a grand old place Goodison is. As always it’s sad to see wonderful atmospheric grounds like that disappear.
    We used to go down a lot and the Evertonians we met were always very positive when they found out we were Hibbies.

Cracking old school stadium but with that comes the lack of 21st facilities and the previous poster was right about the legroom and toilets. The only positive from the latter was that the smell from the bogs was masked by the smell of the weed which seemed to hang over the stadium like a cloud. A new stadium was inevitable given the new money invested in the club and financially it makes total sense but I'm sure a lot of Evertonians will be sad to leave Goodison.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Some Hun has just put in a complaint against you for your violence-endorsing hate crime.

You do realise that Everton have had more season ticket holders that Liverpool in recent times?
    Yes they dont have the global reach and appeal of say Liverpool or Man Utd ect but they still are a massive club in the north west of England, I go down to Chester and north Wales quite often and the numbers that follow the Toffees is remarkable really.
    They would comfortably fill 52,000 for most if not all Premiership games and I fully get why most Everton fans feel that 60,000 should be the preferred capacity.

What I would say that the stadium will look amazing just like Spurs but it will have a breathtaking and iconic setting in the World Heritage Site waterfront. This will instantly mark it out in world football.

It's going to be interesting for all football fans if the plan around safe standing that the board has comes to fruition. The initial build would be 52,000 seats but it will be designed in a way so that should the law permit, then it could be reconfigured to include a vast terrace area which would raise capacity to 60,000, a bit like what happens at Dortmunds ground when they covert it from a Champions League venue to a Bundesliga ground of 80,000.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Everton are easily capable of crowds of over 50,000 for home games, particularly if they start getting a bit of success again. They need a bigger place.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

They have to get changed in main stadium then walk across to the ground !

Everything looks temporary and the poles are ridiculous - not quite sure what they were thinking.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Going back to the question I asked at the beginning. How do you all feel we would be different as s club out at Straiton. It is one generation on now and I wonder how younger fans would feel about a stadium on the side of the bypass.

Much as I prefer Easter Road as a location I would have followed us out to there. Easter Road is effectively a new stadium compared to the one that was there back in the day.

I’d have gone too but maybe not as often. I think we would have lost a lot of supporters.

Easter Road is a glorious stadium and the walk up to it on match day is all part of the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    You do realise that Everton have had more season ticket holders that Liverpool in recent times?
    Yes they dont have the global reach and appeal of say Liverpool or Man Utd ect but they still are a massive club in the north west of England, I go down to Chester and north Wales quite often and the numbers that follow the Toffees is remarkable really.
    They would comfortably fill 52,000 for most if not all Premiership games and I fully get why most Everton fans feel that 60,000 should be the preferred capacity.

What I would say that the stadium will look amazing just like Spurs but it will have a breathtaking and iconic setting in the World Heritage Site waterfront. This will instantly mark it out in world football.

It's going to be interesting for all football fans if the plan around safe standing that the board has comes to fruition. The initial build would be 52,000 seats but it will be designed in a way so that should the law permit, then it could be reconfigured to include a vast terrace area which would raise capacity to 60,000, a bit like what happens at Dortmunds ground when they covert it from a Champions League venue to a Bundesliga ground of 80,000.
    Not sure where you are getting your information from but even taking into half-season ticket sales, Everton are way behind Liverpool. Liverpool supporters, whom Iknow l, take much delight in stating they don't do half-season ticket sales.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your information from but even taking into half-season ticket sales, Everton are way behind Liverpool. Liverpool supporters, whom Iknow l, take much delight in stating they don't do half-season ticket sales.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    I’m sure I read that Everton are about 20k behind in season ticket holders to Liverpool.

Have to agree. Walked past at the weekend and theirs a real temporary feel about the place. The sort of thing you see put up for sevens rugby at the league rugby Clubs. £6m!!! Did they get Hearts to do the Project Management??

It's just a personal opinion but, when the discussions about redeveloping Easter Road were ongoing, I wouldn't have been completely against moving away from Easter Road, if the circumstances were right (location, stadium, transport links, etc).

However, Straiton definitely wasn't the right location.

How would you feel if we changed the name of the stadium? If it was to increase revenue.

@hibs.net private member
    How would you feel if we changed the name of the stadium? If it was to increase revenue.
    Id be relaxed about it. Would still call it Easter Rd ...

Depends on who the sponsor would be and how the name is presented.

The "7 Up Easter Road" is far more appealing than the "BP Arena".
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    It's just a personal opinion but, when the discussions about redeveloping Easter Road were ongoing, I wouldn't have been completely against moving away from Easter Road, if the circumstances were right (location, stadium, transport links, etc).

However, Straiton definitely wasn't the right location.
    Depends on where you were living or coming from.
    Can’t think of any of those criteria or circumstances that would have made any move a good idea.
    Location, stadium and transport links were all tick tick tick I think even then.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Id be relaxed about it. Would still call it Easter Rd ...
    Me too.