hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Everton get go ahead for new stadium

Liverpool council have passed plans to allow Everton to move from Goodieson to Liverpool docks.

Made me think about when we were going to move to Straiton. I wonder how different the club would be if we had moved?

Anyone know how Evertonians feel?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Liverpool council have passed plans to allow Everton to move from Goodieson to Liverpool docks.

Made me think about when we were going to move to Straiton. I wonder how different the club would be if we had moved?

Anyone know how Evertonians feel?
    Probably still pissed / hungover from their last result.

That'll be another great ground gone and another nondescript, average one in it's place.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    My Evertonian mate is very happy about this. I’m sure others will be more emotional about leaving Goodison but he sees it as a necessary and overdue move to get the club challenging the elite.

Their new stadium will be underwater in 30 years so they’d best make the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    That'll be another great ground gone and another nondescript, average one in it's place.
    Sadly, nostalgia doesn't pay wages, revenues do. And better, bigger grounds bring bigger revenues.

True, but their new ground surely won’t have as many poor viewing areas as Goodison. The Park End stand behind the goal to the left of the TV cameras is the only stand which doesn’t have pillars.

Prefer the old grounds but it needs to happen in today's world. That'll be over a 1/3 of all EFL grounds lost totally, without counting the ones who've spun round like Spurs and Bournemouth.

One of the more unlikely threads to see on a Hibs forum

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I went to Goodison and it was awful, couldn’t see half the pitch and got charged about £60 for the privilege.

All fair points, and as someone who lost interest in Premiership football long ago I have absolutely no real interest in it, vested or otherwise, so I can accept that it is a good move that needed to happen.

Shame though. Everton are a club I historically didn't mind. Won the league just as I got into football so I always consider them to be amongst the big clubs even if they haven't had much to shout about for a fairly long time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    One of the more unlikely threads to see on a Hibs forum
    Indeed. And there are two threads about it!

In fairness, I believe everton.net has a long-running thread about our ground's seagulls and loudspeaker problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post

In fairness, I believe everton.net has a long-running thread about our ground's seagulls and loudspeaker problems.

The other one was started by me and I locked it as soon as I saw this one.

As an aside, this is a Forum "... to chat about Hibs and football in general". If you don't want to read a thread, there's a simple answer... just don't open it.

@hibs.net private member

Don't think it is that weird a thread to have on football grounds. In the OP I did ask how folk would have felt and how different things would have been if we had gone to Straiton. It did even refer to Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't think it is that weird a thread to have on football grounds. In the OP I did ask how folk would have felt and how different things would have been if we had gone to Straiton. It did even refer to Hibs.
    Fair dos. Apologies.

@hibs.net private member
    Having long-time family connections to Everton, I'll be sad to see them leave Goodison Park. It's one of the historic and traditional grounds in England, although I must admit the last time I was there, the lack of leg room in the stand and toilet facilities were pretty poor.

@hibs.net private member
    Fair dos. Apologies.
    No problems

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    It’ll be a good move for Everton, the Hibs of Merseyside

that said, what a grand old place Goodison is. As always it’s sad to see wonderful atmospheric grounds like that disappear.

@hibs.net private member
    No problems
    Apologies to Keith_M also.

I ain't a fan of English football, and the obscene amounts of money that swirl round it, but I was missing the point with my post. Sorry.

Jings, this is the most a cat has apologised since that American lawyer on zoom the other week.

Apologies to Keith_M also.

I ain't a fan of English football, and the obscene amounts of money that swirl round it, but I was missing the point with my post. Sorry.

Jings, this is the most a cat has apologised since that American lawyer on zoom the other week.

No problem mate, I'm just being a bit grumpy

@hibs.net private member
    Going back to the question I asked at the beginning. How do you all feel we would be different as s club out at Straiton. It is one generation on now and I wonder how younger fans would feel about a stadium on the side of the bypass.

Much as I prefer Easter Road as a location I would have followed us out to there. Easter Road is effectively a new stadium compared to the one that was there back in the day.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Going back to the question I asked at the beginning. How do you all feel we would be different as s club out at Straiton. It is one generation on now and I wonder how younger fans would feel about a stadium on the side of the bypass.

Much as I prefer Easter Road as a location I would have followed us out to there. Easter Road is effectively a new stadium compared to the one that was there back in the day.
    The Straiton proposals alienated fans back then and there couldn’t have been many unhappy about how it floundered.
    Plenty of our generation would have followed but we would be a different club with the same name and less soul in my opinion. I doubt the youth would have fancied it much either.
    Time has proved what a baseless idea it was, Cromb describing Easter Road back then as a ‘grand old lady that had had her day’, or some other patronising observation as he promoted the need to move. He was wrong, she’s still displaying grandeur to this day.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 23-02-2021 at 06:42 PM.

I'd have hated it and I don't think it would have been a great move for us although I'd have probably stuck with Hibs and kept going.

The fact that we have the ground we have in the location it is in, as well as a good training ground, are huge feathers in the cap of the club that we should be proud of.

FWIW I like that Hearts managed to stay at Tynecastle too. Another cracking ground in a great location. It wouldn't have been the same if they'd been forced to move to some soulless municipal heap in the middle of nowhere. The short hop back into town after winning at Tynecastle is one of the best post-match journeys you can make.

@hibs.net private member
    Anyone think it will be finished before the new stand at tynecastle?
    Just for the record, I do 🤣

Think like the vast majority of our support a move to Straiton was a non-started. Wasn't exactly sold to the fans and instead was presented as the only show in town. Douglas Cromb couldn't have got it more wrong especially the flannel that you couldn't build a stadium of circa 20k on the Easter Road site. Thankfully we got some people into the club that proved otherwise.

Think a more difficult question might have been a new Stadium in Leith Area, say Leith Docks or the site of the new Leith Academy. Think if a site could have been found within close proximity to Easter Road people would have accepted the change. The other side of the bypass was just a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Think like the vast majority of our support a move to Straiton was a non-started. Wasn't exactly sold to the fans and instead was presented as the only show in town. Douglas Cromb couldn't have got it more wrong especially the flannel that you couldn't build a stadium of circa 20k on the Easter Road site. Thankfully we got some people into the club that proved otherwise.

Think a more difficult question might have been a new Stadium in Leith Area, say Leith Docks or the site of the new Leith Academy. Think if a site could have been found within close proximity to Easter Road people would have accepted the change. The other side of the bypass was just a step too far.
    I agree a move staying in Leith may well have been accepted by most.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I would honestly hate it if we ever moved from Easter Road, it would physically sicken me and the football would never ever be the same again. I imagine most Everton fans feel the same? Couldn’t think of anything worse than trading your historical home and your identity for some Americanised, glossy, carnival stadium.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

I'm a Hibs fan. I like Easter Road because it's our stadium, but if we'd moved to Straiton then I'd like Straiton because it's our stadium.

And Straiton is hardly that far away from where we started. Closer than Tranent for example.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm a Hibs fan. I like Easter Road because it's our stadium, but if we'd moved to Straiton then I'd like Straiton because it's our stadium.

And Straiton is hardly that far away from where we started. Closer than Tranent for example.
    Can’t say I’d fancy the idea of them playing in Tranent either but each to their own. Never happened so let’s be thankful.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    I guess it will be sad to say goodbye to Goodison Park for Everton fans and locals in the area. It’s always great to see Goodison above the houses when you drive down County Road into Liverpool city centre, looking down the terraced streets and seeing the ground towering at the end of the road. The local boozers and other businesses will be decimated.

I played in a charity thing at goodison at end of 16/17 season not long after moving to Manchester.

it's a proper ground with character and history.

it needs work but I'd be gutted if I was a toffee.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just_Jimmy; 24-02-2021 at 03:54 AM.