hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Gordon McQueen

  1. #1

    Gordon McQueen

    Just announced Gordon McQueen been diagnosed with vascular dementia.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Really sad news this. He was a true Scotland hero when I was a kid. Proper gent off field too.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Sad news, horrible disease.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In a Trash can
    Posts
    4,915


    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due kaimendhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kaimend
    Posts
    4,074
    Sad news.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,108
    He's dealt with a lot health wise, he was treated for cancer a few years ago IIRC....

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really sad news this. He was a true Scotland hero when I was a kid. Proper gent off field too.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Totally agree, loved him as a player, never forget his goal against England at Wembley in 1977. The height he jumped was incredible. Also my favourite Scotland strip of all time.

    Really sad news.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very sad indeed

    Great servant to Scotland, Leeds & Man Utd

    He was actually a very good pundit / summariser in his day.

  10. #9
    I think he made his debut in a game at Love Street against us, he was up against Joe Baker who got so frustrated at getting nothing from big Gordon he managed to get himself sent off ! Some player.

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff HIBERNIAN-0762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In ma hoose.
    Posts
    5,116
    Great player, I'm sure there are Hibs connections in his family, terrible news 😔

  12. #11
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    carricknowe
    Posts
    369
    Always tried to replicate his header he scored against England never done it though stay strong big man terrible news.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very sad indeed

    Great servant to Scotland, Leeds & Man Utd

    He was actually a very good pundit / summariser in his day.
    I think he gave up the punditry as he used to get physical sick due to nerves

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Sammy7nil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9,050
    Sad news wish him and his family all the best.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,572
    Iconic figure in a Scotland shirt - his injury in the Home Internationals prior to Argentina 78 cost us as I recall. I think he might even have been injured by clattering into the post trying to keep out a bizarre Willie Donachie OG at Hampden....

    Keep fighting big fellah.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iconic figure in a Scotland shirt - his injury in the Home Internationals prior to Argentina 78 cost us as I recall. I think he might even have been injured by clattering into the post trying to keep out a bizarre Willie Donachie OG at Hampden....

    Keep fighting big fellah.
    The knee injury was against England (I think) in the Home Internationals - the Donnachie own goal still makes me shudder to this day but McQueen was nowhere near it.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJSL63_jAo

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    2,843
    Very sad, my best mate at school back in the 1970ís was a massive fan and had his picture all over his bedroom walls

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    8,462
    I was a big blonde haired centre half back in the day. Gordon McQueen was one of my heroes. Very sad news indeed and the same form of the horrible disease that took my dad almost three years ago.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,572
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The knee injury was against England (I think) in the Home Internationals - the Donnachie own goal still makes me shudder to this day but McQueen was nowhere near it.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJSL63_jAo
    Youíre right about the goal that camera isnít lying, but he was injured in the Wales game Iím sure and the wheels came off..donít think he played against England in 1978.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youíre right about the goal that camera isnít lying, but he was injured in the Wales game Iím sure and the wheels came off..donít think he played against England in 1978.
    Midweek game so deffo Wales or Ireland. Was in the Rangers end and most people around us would have rather lost the goal than lose him to injury.

    Still say that team leading up to qualification, from 76 to 78 was the best Scotland ever had, maybe even will have. McQueen was a huge part of that.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The knee injury was against England (I think) in the Home Internationals - the Donnachie own goal still makes me shudder to this day but McQueen was nowhere near it.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJSL63_jAo
    Remember it well - was at the game

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youíre right about the goal that camera isnít lying, but he was injured in the Wales game Iím sure and the wheels came off..donít think he played against England in 1978.
    Yip my memory was it was the Wednesday game. Awful own goal and superb header by Derek Johnstone.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,316
    There are so many ex players from yesteryear who have got Dementia. For every guy like McQueen who have gone public, there are many more who keep it within the family. Tragic for the big fellae.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,682
    I heard him on Radio Scotland talking to Chic Young doing a favourite 11 players piece, and he didn't sound well at all. I think that was over the festive period. Real shame.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Midweek game so deffo Wales or Ireland. Was in the Rangers end and most people around us would have rather lost the goal than lose him to injury.

    Still say that team leading up to qualification, from 76 to 78 was the best Scotland ever had, maybe even will have. McQueen was a huge part of that.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    1870's and 1880's mate. You peaked early

    edit to add joking aside Gordon was a great. A tower of strength.
    Last edited by Lancs Harp; 24-02-2021 at 09:23 PM.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1870's and 1880's mate. You peaked early
    I'll accept that if the Hibs team from the late 1880's are accepted as World Club Champions, officially .

  27. #26
    First Team Breakthrough Crunchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really sad news this. He was a true Scotland hero when I was a kid. Proper gent off field too.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Hard as nails on the park and as you say a proper gent off field, why does it always seem to affect the good guys. Very sad news and I feel for him and his family, it must be devastating news for them all, a truly horrible, horrible disease.

  28. #27
    'S' Form Hibbykk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kilbirnie
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great player, I'm sure there are Hibs connections in his family, terrible news 😔
    His dad Tom played for Hibs in goal in 1952/53, 3 appearances. He couldn't dislodge Tommy Younger though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)