hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 381

Thread: Taking the knee

  1. #121
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,286
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That'll be ageist then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same people that went through war for freedom for everyone?
    Yep . I was being as ageist as I was being serious.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,068
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could understand if the taking the knee was a gesture to support independence or unionism, or in support of nuclear missiles, but who the **** is against anti-racism?
    Racists.

    Arguing anything else is total deflection. Sadly folk seem to want to.

  4. #123
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could understand if the taking the knee was a gesture to support independence or unionism, or in support of nuclear missiles, but who the **** is against anti-racism?
    I think we've all been down this discussion route before and I get that point but you'd think there has to be more to it than that.

    You can be against the gesture without being against the thing that it is behind.

    Booing is of course a bit of a crude way of making any sort of point but do fans who've been out the stadium a long time have another way to voice something?

    A couple of examples of why people might boo this:

    They don't agree that football that football should be trying to solve all of the world's issues all of the time and they are fundamentally against a prolonged and ongoing gesture / statement / campaign of any kind.
    They still don't understand or know that it isn't linked directly anymore with BLM and that have some issues with that movement, not linked to the racial aspect.

    It is happening pretty much every game now with fans in and I think it is too simplistic to say all those people are being actively racist. I think it would be useful for there to be an understanding of what people are booing about.

  5. #124
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,518
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Racists.

    Arguing anything else is total deflection. Sadly folk seem to want to.
    Totally agree. Booing an anti-racist gesture means you are either racist or thick but most likely both. I'm pretty sure we never took the knee at the Cup Final. I'd rather we did or at the very least started a new initiative that was just as visible and regular. From what I can see in terms of the big issues in English politics over the years racism is very much on the rise and is no longer something that people are ashamed of or want to keep to themselves. Blaming foreigners wins votes and is very popular in England from what I can see.

  6. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we've all been down this discussion route before and I get that point but you'd think there has to be more to it than that.

    You can be against the gesture without being against the thing that it is behind.

    Booing is of course a bit of a crude way of making any sort of point but do fans who've been out the stadium a long time have another way to voice something?

    A couple of examples of why people might boo this:

    They don't agree that football that football should be trying to solve all of the world's issues all of the time and they are fundamentally against a prolonged and ongoing gesture / statement / campaign of any kind.
    They still don't understand or know that it isn't linked directly anymore with BLM and that have some issues with that movement, not linked to the racial aspect.

    It is happening pretty much every game now with fans in and I think it is too simplistic to say all those people are being actively racist. I think it would be useful for there to be an understanding of what people are booing about.
    They don't agree that football should be helping trying to solve the world's issues - so they boo people taking the knee against racism?

    Would these same non-racist people boo through a minute's silence for someone having passed away because they don't think these things should be in football either?

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we've all been down this discussion route before and I get that point but you'd think there has to be more to it than that.

    You can be against the gesture without being against the thing that it is behind.

    Booing is of course a bit of a crude way of making any sort of point but do fans who've been out the stadium a long time have another way to voice something?

    A couple of examples of why people might boo this:

    They don't agree that football that football should be trying to solve all of the world's issues all of the time and they are fundamentally against a prolonged and ongoing gesture / statement / campaign of any kind.
    They still don't understand or know that it isn't linked directly anymore with BLM and that have some issues with that movement, not linked to the racial aspect.

    It is happening pretty much every game now with fans in and I think it is too simplistic to say all those people are being actively racist. I think it would be useful for there to be an understanding of what people are booing about.
    Or you go the non- circulatory way and just come to the conclusion that they are racists.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  8. #127
    First Team Breakthrough AliboyFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Newcastle
    Age
    16
    Posts
    291
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't agree that football should be helping trying to solve the world's issues - so they boo people taking the knee against racism?

    Would these same non-racist people boo through a minute's silence for someone having passed away because they don't think these things should be in football either?
    Hertz fans did for the pope didn't they? Weirdo diet huns.

  9. #128
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,068
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree. Booing an anti-racist gesture means you are either racist or thick but most likely both. I'm pretty sure we never took the knee at the Cup Final. I'd rather we did or at the very least started a new initiative that was just as visible and regular. From what I can see in terms of the big issues in English politics over the years racism is very much on the rise and is no longer something that people are ashamed of or want to keep to themselves. Blaming foreigners wins votes and is very popular in England from what I can see.
    I take a different view, I think the gesture has become a joke, a representation of the dismal failure to change anything post George Floyd. to the point where racially abusing athletes online has become normal and normalised, angry Gammon England is having a backlash because they donít like being told what to do and what to think. So large numbers of people who want BLM folk to shut up and get back in their box are booing the gesture. Wilfred Zaha spoke intelligently about it the other day.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 03-06-2021 at 09:57 AM.

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or you go the non- circulatory way and just come to the conclusion that they are racists.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Yes, you can but itís unlikely to give you the right answer or a way to address it.

  11. #130
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, you can but itís unlikely to give you the right answer or a way to address it.
    That massive big grey thing over there, with the wrinkled skin and the big ears and the trunk? What do you think it is?

  12. #131
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    33,630
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I can understand the argument for not doing it anymore.

    Booing because people do though is poor to say the least.
    Kind of where I am. Why boo if you don't agree just shut up as the assumption whether fair or not will be you are booing because you are racist?

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, you can but itís unlikely to give you the right answer or a way to address it.
    So is it "unlikely" that those booing are racist?

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kind of where I am. Why boo if you don't agree just shut up as the assumption whether fair or not will be you are booing because you are racist?
    I get the point, of course, but just shutting up if you donít agree with something canít be right either.

    What avenue to fans have, if they believe they have a point to make, whatever that is, to a gesture?

  15. #134
    If they players made a stand against religious bigotry i think it would help in this country. Taking the knee definitely raised awareness for the BLM movement.

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So is it "unlikely" that those booing are racist?

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    I donít know, thereís likely a range of reasons theyíve decided to boo. I couldnít positively say they are all racist though without finding out why.

    I donít stand up and join in with the minutes applause that we started to get just about every week, sometimes multiple times a week. When everyone else is standing up and applauding then my sitting down and watching the game could be taken as disrespectful. Iím not against showing respect to dead people, but I am against the practice of how it began to be done.

    I certainly wouldnít boo mind you so my feelings on it will go largely unnoticed.

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately right-wing groups with racist undertones managed to convince many that this was political and not about equality and equity. The press played right in to their hands as it sold papers/encouraged clicks online.

    The points made by Calum and yourself are correct, booing someone who is supporting anti-racism is a terrible state of affairs and should a distinct lack of class at best, or. proof the UK has a much wider racism problem than the government would like us to believe
    This is news to me. Which groups are you talking about here? Which papers?

    Sorry but just sounds like hyperbole.

    Maybe people are able to make up their own minds!

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,938
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't agree that football should be helping trying to solve the world's issues - so they boo people taking the knee against racism?

    Would these same non-racist people boo through a minute's silence for someone having passed away because they don't think these things should be in football either?
    Iíll wager a large amount that those booing last night would 100% be in outrage and booing at James McClean not wearing a Poppy.

    Racist hypocrites.

    J

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    33,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get the point, of course, but just shutting up if you donít agree with something canít be right either.

    What avenue to fans have, if they believe they have a point to make, whatever that is, to a gesture?
    I might not agree with a minutes silence for particular people who may have no or any relevance to football however I wouldn't ever think of disrespecting the silence. Think the same applies in that the assumption is that they are booing to disagree with the cause of racial equality. In terms of actions they can put pressure on their club that they don't agree with the knee rather than booing. Fancy booing something that your international or club team are doing which the players have agreed to do in teams which in many cases have a number of black players many of which have been attacked online because of what race they are. Absolutely shocking imo and would be surprised if anyone booing wasnt doing it for racist reasons.

  20. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I donít know, thereís likely a range of reasons theyíve decided to boo. I couldnít positively say they are all racist though without finding out why.

    I donít stand up and join in with the minutes applause that we started to get just about every week, sometimes multiple times a week. When everyone else is standing up and applauding then my sitting down and watching the game could be taken as disrespectful. Iím not against showing respect to dead people, but I am against the practice of how it began to be done.

    I certainly wouldnít boo mind you so my feelings on it will go largely unnoticed.
    But why do you feel the need to find another reason or understand the sentiments behind booing an action which is wholly and purely about anti-racism and equality?

    Regards your point about not joining in with observing applause out of respect (and similar to my earlier question re silences) - if you did start booing while people observed the recent passing of (let's say an ex footballer) would you not rightly expect to be 100% criticised, and surely you wouldn't hope for someone to be making excuses for you or saying it's the only way for you to express your view?

    I mean this in the politest possible but most serious way - I really think you need to ask yourself why you are so keen to defend and look for excuses for people booing anti-racist actions, without just brushing it off as adding balance or trying to understand the deeper reasoning.

  21. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is news to me. Which groups are you talking about here? Which papers?

    Sorry but just sounds like hyperbole.

    Maybe people are able to make up their own minds!
    You're correct that there are definitely enough thick and racist people in the country without it - but the press can and do have an influence.

  22. #141
    gloryhunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get the point, of course, but just shutting up if you donít agree with something canít be right either.

    What avenue to fans have, if they believe they have a point to make, whatever that is, to a gesture?

    It's weird, I believe in the stand being made but was never happy with folk taking the knee. Seems too much like a servile gesture to me like bowing, curtseying or tugging a forelock kind of thing. Probably just me, although I would never boo a righteous cause.

  23. #142
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But why do you feel the need to find another reason or understand the sentiments behind booing an action which is wholly and purely about anti-racism and equality?

    Regards your point about not joining in with observing applause out of respect (and similar to my earlier question re silences) - if you did start booing while people observed the recent passing of (let's say an ex footballer) would you not rightly expect to be 100% criticised, and surely you wouldn't hope for someone to be making excuses for you or saying it's the only way for you to express your view?

    I mean this in the politest possible but most serious way - I really think you need to ask yourself why you are so keen to defend and look for excuses for people booing anti-racist actions, without just brushing it off as adding balance or trying to understand the deeper reasoning.
    In your last point, if you want to address it or stop it, then you find out why theyíre doing it.

    Gareth Southgate mentioned something similar last night that they have to be misunderstanding something in the messaging. Maybe thatís right, maybe itís not.

    Labelling them all racists and just carrying on is fine of course but arenít we trying to change behaviour and educate where possible in all this too?

    Any campaign should also be effective and if it isnít working or not being taken on board to the extent that people are booing part of it then it pays to understand why.
    Last edited by Andy74; 03-06-2021 at 11:22 AM.

  24. #143
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,068
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's weird, I believe in the stand being made but was never happy with folk taking the knee. Seems too much like a servile gesture to me like bowing, curtseying or tugging a forelock kind of thing. Probably just me, although I would never boo a righteous cause.
    Thatís exactly what Zaha said.

  25. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In your last point, if you want to address it or stop it, then you find out why they’re doing it.

    Gareth Southgate mentioned something similar last night that they have to be misunderstanding something in the messaging. Maybe that’s right, maybe it’s not.

    Labelling them all racists and just carrying on is fine of course but aren’t we trying to change behaviour and educate where possible in all this too?

    Any campaign should also be effective and if it isn’t working or not being taken on board to the extent that people are booing part of it then it pays to understand why.
    Yes, trying to change the behaviour of racists. Pretending people aren't racist won't help that.

    The campaign has been very effective in raising awareness and addressing the subject, while there is much work to be done. Whether the current BLM action needs adapted etc is another discussion. But racists booing anti-racism isn't a fault of the campaign.

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, trying to change the behaviour of racists. Pretending people aren't racist won't help that.

    The campaign has been very effective in raising awareness and addressing the subject, while there is much work to be done. Whether the current BLM action needs adapted etc is another discussion. But racists booing anti-racism isn't a fault of the campaign.
    You are talking about BLM so you are also partly confused about what the current gesture means.

    You think they are booing anti racism. I suspect they are booing the gesture for what could be a few reasons. Not the same.

  27. #146
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,129
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís exactly what Zaha said.

    Heís wrong though.

    It came from Colin Kapernick and the context was standing for the American national anthem before every (American) football game.

    We donít have that same tradition in the UK so the context is different, but that is where Ďtaking the kneeí come from. Not a servile gesture at all.

  28. #147
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are talking about BLM so you are also partly confused about what the current gesture means.

    You think they are booing anti racism. I suspect they are booing the gesture for what could be a few reasons. Not the same.
    All of them are booing the gesture?

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  29. #148
    @hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Strandhill, Sligo
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,776
    Blog Entries
    1
    They werent boing the action they were booing the sentiment attached to it. We might feel that the action has run its course or not but to boo it shows you are against the sentiment (taking a knee on its own means nothing apart from the meaning you give to it). The sentiment in this case is taking a stand against racism so anyone booing that is booing against a stand needing to be taken.

    You dont boo something you dont understand, you boo something because you are against it.

  30. #149
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In your last point, if you want to address it or stop it, then you find out why theyíre doing it.

    Gareth Southgate mentioned something similar last night that they have to be misunderstanding something in the messaging. Maybe thatís right, maybe itís not.

    Labelling them all racists and just carrying on is fine of course but arenít we trying to change behaviour and educate where possible in all this too?

    Any campaign should also be effective and if it isnít working or not being taken on board to the extent that people are booing part of it then it pays to understand why.

    The folk who booed last night are f****** morons.

    Iím all for educating people, but they have to be willing to be educated. Sometimes there is no understanding.

  31. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are talking about BLM so you are also partly confused about what the current gesture means.

    You think they are booing anti racism. I suspect they are booing the gesture for what could be a few reasons. Not the same.
    I'm not confused. The Black Lives Matter slogan being used in our sport, and the gesture of taking the knee is solely about equality and taking a stand against racism.

    I know you are referring to the sudden use of the word 'Marxist' which the majority of these balloons booing couldn't even spell, never mind explain why it makes them boo an anti-racist gesture, again by way of excusing racists.

    Why do you think they're suddenly all concerned about Marxism and left wing organisations rather than happy to see footballers take a stand against racism?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)