hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Taking the knee

Threaded View

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that’s the thing... I’m not trying to tell you what you should be offended by, I’m arguing that we (the royal we) should be concerned with what WE say that could offend others.
    I think the vast majority are concerned, although some may be guilty of the ocassional lapse.

There are also some who make no effort whatsoever and will wear their whateverism as a badge of honour. Unless they break the law there isn't much that can be done. Ignoring them, thus starving them of the attention they often seek, is often the best option.

There are also people who, try as they might, will always hold different prejudices - through fear. Some people are simply afraid of things or people that are different. The biggest homophobe I know is a 1st class person, but he has a fear of homosexual men that can manifest itself as dislike. When dealing with someone like that you can either criticise or try to understand and make allowances. I know my preference.

Those that concern me most are the people that make the right noises and use the correct terminology, but deep down they are racist, homophobic, or whatever. These are the people that can do the greatest damage without necessarily drawing much attention.

Bottom line for me is that actions speak louder than words. I prefer a genuinely good person who'll sometimes make the odd mistake over someone that presents a very correct façade which is, in reality, concealing the worst type of hypocrite.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 04-04-2021 at 05:47 PM.