Thread: Taking the knee

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Q-Why do you care?
    A-Whataboutery.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by green leaves View Post
    Can someone from the Bame community be a gammon?
    I don’t know. I’ve never used the word and only learned what it actually means today.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Do you include some Scot. Nats anti English rants as racist ?
    As a Scot living in England i would contend that there is more anti Scottishness down here than anti Englishness up there. There has been since devolution a strong undercurrent in England and its media that quite frankly, if written about BAME communities, would be considered racist. I’m referring to articles written by the likes of Kelvin Mackenzie and Richard littlejohn to name but two. Reading them and some of these stances, people would think Scotland only exists because of the English and that we are all tartaned knuckle dragging benefit junkies

Quote Originally Posted by Calmbegbie View Post
    As a Scot living in England i would contend that there is more anti Scottishness down here than anti Englishness up there. There has been since devolution a strong undercurrent in England and its media that quite frankly, if written about BAME communities, would be considered racist. I’m referring to articles written by the likes of Kelvin Mackenzie and Richard littlejohn to name but two. Reading them and some of these stances, people would think Scotland only exists because of the English and that we are all tartaned knuckle dragging benefit junkies
    That's not my experience at all but I suppose it depends where you are. Most English folk seem full of admiration for the Scots and some have wondered if Sturgeon would care to stand as UK pm!
    People like Littlejohn and Mackenzie exist to cause offence- bit like the old firm up in Scotland!
    The trick is not to read their outpourings.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Even if the word 'gammon' used in this sense is racist, do you think it's harmful?

Do you think it's racist if a white person calls another white person a 'gammon', even if it is a racist word?

Why do you care?
    Because I abhor racism in all its forms,using an insult based on someone's skin colour is racist even if the person it's directed at is a fascist,intolerant racist bigot

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Because I abhor racism in all its forms,using an insult based on someone's skin colour is racist even if the person it's directed at is a fascist,intolerant racist bigot
    sorry, but i'm not buying that. do you literally abhor one white person calling another white person 'gammon'? what about when a black person calls a white person 'cracker'?

can you not see that there is an absolute world of difference between the above examples and what i would consider actual racism, i.e. race being used as an insult in a way that is actually harmful to someone?

one of the working definitions of the word 'racism' is that it is when prejudice and power intersect. googling a definition of racism throws this up: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized."

the black community is both a minority, and is marginalized on the basis of their being black people. though some white people are maginalized based on a variety of things, their skin colour is not one of them.
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 09-06-2021 at 10:59 PM.

It’s not.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think the two previous posters are saying there was no need for the word ‘white’ to be included.

For what it’s worth - I don’t think you’re a racist person regardless of whether you use the word gammon.. and I don’t think it’s a racist term in the slightest ��

I think quite the opposite is true, he seems to care a lot (going by what he posts) about race issues, which is quite admirable.

My post was actually intended in a light-hearted way to comment on a bit of a boo-boo in his logic, which seemed funny at the time.

FWIW, I think gammon is mildly racist, but the racism suffered by non-white people in their everyday lives is way off the scale in comparison.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Can someone from the Bame community be a gammon?
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    James Cleverley - big gammon vibes from him.

Priti Patel is very gammony.

As is that troubled Pakistani Rangers fan who was signing a defamatory song about his own family.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    ....Brilliant

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    It’s funny cause it’s true.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Brilliant.
    I found it amusing too and accurate of some people today.

The problem is when people file everything e.g. standing up to racists or objecting to booing of anti-racism under the same category, so basically people can continue behaving however they want and saying what they like, because it’s everyone else’s fault for being too “woke”.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Brilliant.

Yes it’s funny.

But please let’s rise above the tribal culture war that many (including UK government) is fostering. We are better than that.

It’s easy to mock young people and their naive opinions. But there’s more - a lot more - to it than that.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    It’s just a comedy sketch folks, take a breather!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Interesting development in Scotland now deciding to take the knee at Wembley while standing against racism in other games. Not sure what to make of it wouldn't like to think SFA were cowtowing to red top press however happy if this was player driven and looking to show solidarity with English players.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Interesting development in Scotland now deciding to take the knee at Wembley while standing against racism in other games. Not sure what to make of it wouldn't like to think SFA were cowtowing to red top press however happy if this was player driven and looking to show solidarity with English players.

I think it is player solidarity and probably driven by the Scottish players who ply their trade in England.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    The England players, many of them black, want to take the knee for a few seconds despite being booed by their own fans. I think Scotland kneeling with them at that game despite doing their own thing at the other games speaks volumes and is a great gesture of solidarity.

The boo boys are scared of being thought to be woke. It's embarrassing to them.
    What's wrong with being woke for a brief moment?
    There are worse things in the world.

I think it's the opposite of cowtowing to the press. The likes of Toby Young, Julia Hartley Brewer, Laurence Fox.....(**** every one of them) were praising Scotland yesterday for standing. As Steve Clarke says, they were misrepresenting Scotland's position.

Kneeling in solidarity with England does not allow the team's view to be hijacked by these morons.

Just take the knee full stop.

I heard on BBC Scotland someone saying how it could potentially look to the worldwide audience when a team that might include quite a few black players are taking the knee for England whilst the entirely white Scottish team stood.

I don't know what to think of it to be honest. If the squad had made the decision to stand, and it was to take a stand against all racism is how I heard it originally put across, then what has made them change their minds.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 11-06-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Why did they change from kneeling to standing anyway? Daft

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think it's the opposite of cowtowing to the press. The likes of Toby Young, Julia Hartley Brewer, Laurence Fox.....(**** every one of them) were praising Scotland yesterday for standing. As Steve Clarke says, they were misrepresenting Scotland's position.

Kneeling in solidarity with England does not allow the team's view to be hijacked by these morons.

I try to ignore those chancers as much as possible, but I’m glad Scotland is sticking it to them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    So footballers are saying that by standing they are also taking a stand against racism.

Will one gesture end racism more quickly than another one?

We are well into poppy style tick boxing territory here. What actions everyone is taking is important not squabbling about what type of gesture should be imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Why did they change from kneeling to standing anyway? Daft
    They have changed their mind they are kneeling now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    They have changed their mind they are kneeling now

Only in the England game - mainly so the racists can’t claim they agree with them.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Only in the England game - mainly so the racists can’t claim they agree with them.
    Okay, so at some point the players will have agreed that they should not take the knee in the other games. That must mean there actually is a debate to be had about whether it’s right to keep doing it or not? Unless they are being a bit racist in those other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Just devalues doing it fir one game when everyone now knows they don’t agree with it and won’t be doing it for other games
    Has there been an official reason given for the change for this one game ?