hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the knee

Taking the knee

I’ve not seen any comment on this so I’m wondering if I imagined it but I’m pretty sure neither team took the knee before the game yesterday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I thought the same. One of the Hamilton players went to do it as the game kicked off. Thought I’d imagined it.

@hibs.net private member
    If they’ve pulled it then I’m glad. Football, like the rest of society, has role to play with being proactive in tackling racism and intolerance, time to consider how better they/we can help better achieve that. Taking the knee was a powerful symbol at that time, lost that impact long ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    I read that some English clubs have stopped doing it, not sure if that's the case here too.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Pretty sure both teams did do it. Think there was a delay to kick off for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure both teams did do it. Think there was a delay to kick off for some reason.
    That was due to the lino coming out late.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Aye the one with COVID turned up late.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Looked sheepish enough to suggest he was maybe late with lightening his load pre-match.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dphibs View Post
    I thought the same. One of the Hamilton players went to do it as the game kicked off. Thought I’d imagined it.
    He was a bit late in taking the knee, so went for Boyle's a wee while later.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    He was a bit late in taking the knee, so went for Boyle's a wee while later.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I read that some English clubs have stopped doing it, not sure if that's the case here too.

Bournemouth have stopped it. They say taking the knee has run its course and no longer has any effect

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    I’ve not seen any comment on this so I’m wondering if I imagined it but I’m pretty sure neither team took the knee before the game yesterday.
    Never paid any attention at the time but did notice that Sportscene didn't show on the highlights and thought that was very unusual because for some reason they always show the taking of the knee in every game they show. Always wondered why they deemed it necessary to show it on the highlights as its nothing to do with the football.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardenttwo View Post
    Bournemouth have stopped it. They say taking the knee has run its course and no longer has any effect
    Think QPR stopped it last year and I know Brentford also have. Palace striker Wilfried Zaha says he's not doing it any more as he finds it 'degrading'.

I don't even notice it anymore. If i hadn't seen this thread I'd have been none the wiser. Definitely run its course.

Left by mutual consent!
    Les Ferdinand summed it up perfectly.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Think QPR stopped it last year and I know Brentford also have. Palace striker Wilfried Zaha says he's not doing it any more as he finds it 'degrading'.
    I was branded as being part of the problem not long ago for suggesting that it was becoming meaningless and that action now was more important than gestures.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I was branded as being part of the problem not long ago for suggesting that it was becoming meaningless and that action now was more important than gestures.
    Statements like this always have a time frame, and sometimes becomes counter productive in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member
    Wilfried Zaha has said he will no longer do it - here's the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56123991

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Thankfully you’re here to remind us what’s really important.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Thankfully you’re here to remind us what’s really important.
    The time for solidarity has passed. Now for action:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/28508/12225568/crystal-dunn-usa-women-are-stopping-taking-a-knee-to-make-a-stand-through-action-instead

@hibs.net private member
    It's worth remembering the origins of the gesture - the American Football players taking the knee during the Stars and Stripes in the uber-patriotic US was a controversial and brave move which refused to let the story of yet another (and another...) black guy shot by the polis out of the headlines.

The solidarity shown by sportsmen and woman the world over was heartening - but it HAD started to lose it's meaning some time ago with a sense of it having become all but compulsory - so I'm not sorry to see it come to an end.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Would you like your Nobel peace prize for this?

You are right about action however, I am interested to see what the SPFL and the EPL are going to do next. Some of the recent abuse directed at players via social media is absolutely disgusting.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post

You are right about action however, I am interested to see what the SPFL and the EPL are going to do next. Some of the recent abuse directed at players via social media is absolutely disgusting.

That is more for government, social platforms and police I would have thought.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That is more for government, social platforms and police I would have thought.
    Oh absolutely but I would have thought maybe they would do something to try and highlight it and present a united front against racism of all forms.

Govt and Social Media platforms are woefully slow sometimes. Twitter is a dark place to go sometimes.

We should take the knee in Scotland against sectarian hatred.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post

Nah, but when you’re told by several people that you are basically a racist and need educated it is fair enough to point out that there are more and more people that are thinking the same way.

My thoughts were purely on how effective and impactful this now was and whether there were now better ways to move this on.

Nah, but when you’re told by several people that you are basically a racist and need educated it is fair enough to point out that there are more and more people that are thinking the same way.

My thoughts were purely on how effective and impactful this now was and whether there were now better ways to move this on.
    Your views on race are well documented. As are your constant attempts to say you are being ‘called a racist’ on here when you haven’t.

I had a feeling this thread would go rapidly downhill.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Your views on race are well documented. As are your constant attempts to say you are being ‘called a racist’ on here when you haven’t.
    Ah, here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    It's worth remembering the origins of the gesture - the American Football players taking the knee during the Stars and Stripes in the uber-patriotic US was a controversial and brave move which refused to let the story of yet another (and another...) black guy shot by the polis out of the headlines.

The solidarity shown by sportsmen and woman the world over was heartening - but it HAD started to lose it's meaning some time ago with a sense of it having become all but compulsory - so I'm not sorry to see it come to an end.
    Agree that it had lost its initial impact and probably its initial effectiveness becoming just part of the matchday furniture. To keep these hugely important issues at the forefront of peoples minds I think its time for new initiatives which are very much needed given the large amount of online racism that's been reported.

Re an earlier posters comments re sectarianism its disappointing that SUTR and other Scottish anti-racism campaigns have been totally silent on this which is essentially racism towards folks of Irish Catholic heritage or folk perceived to be because of the clubs they support.