After the postponement of last weeks away game at Ross County, it was good to see Hibs back in action in facing Hamilton at Easter Road. An early confession from me – I tend to cringe when I read posts saying we should win easily, they’re the worst team in the league and so on. Love them or hate them, they fight their corner very well and embrace a never say die attitude that’s kept them in the top league for many more seasons than most expected them to.

Most thought the Hibs starting eleven would be unchanged but as it turned out, Newell returned at the expense of Gogic. I felt sorry for Alex as he’d been playing well but I understood the thinking behind the change. The shape seemed to involve three at the back, three in midfield with Murphy and Boyle roaming the area behind Christian Doidge.

When the game started, Hamilton were on the front foot from the off and Marciano had to look sharp in pushing away a shot from McMann. Ex-Hibee Scott Martin was next to test the keeper but the shot was straight at him. A mix up between Hanlon and Doig presented Ogkmpoe with an opportunity but his left footed effort struck the base of the post.

Hibs were struggling to gain any creative possession but twelve minutes in, Boyle went scampering after a lofted pass down the Hibs right. Accies defender Jamie Hamilton tried to get to the ball first but as he lunged forward, Boyle tipped the ball past him before being cleaned out by Hamilton’s challenge. Referee Craig Napier had to sort out the fallout from the challenge before, correctly in my view, giving the Accies man a red card.

Just a minute or so later, Hibs took the lead when Newell’s free kick into the box was partially cleared before Josh Doig hooked a short pass to Boyle. Some twenty yards from goal, Boyle got the ball under control, took a step or two and then guided a wonderful effort beyond Fulton and into the net at the far corner. There was no great pace in the shot, but the precision was to be admired.

Hibs started to dominate possession and set about putting the Accies goal under siege, but the visitors defended doggedly, aided in part by a poor final ball from a Hibs man. Josh Doig raced on to a ball at the edge of the box, but his fierce drive was well saved by Fulton. McGinn and Murphy were next to try their luck but both efforts were charged down before the ball got anywhere near Fulton.

Although down to ten men, Accies fought their corner well but their cause was not helped when Ogkmpoe limped off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem after chasing a loose ball with Darren McGregor. Next, a fine cross from Doig picked out Doidge in the middle but Easton did just enough to prevent the Hibs striker from making a good connection.

Just past the half hour mark, Hibs were awarded a penalty. A Boyle corner reached McGregor at the back post whereupon the Hibs man nodded the ball back into the danger area. Doidge looked to get a shot away but was felled by Moyo and referee Napier showed no hesitation in pointing at the spot. In form and playing with huge confidence, Boyle stepped forward, but his strike was saved low to Fulton’s right.

That miss seemed to dent Hibs temporarily and on a rare foray forward, Accies won a free kick around twenty yards out but McMann’s effort at goal was miles over the bar. The hosts got themselves back on the front foot, but the telling pass was still missing, until that is a superb ball by Boyle across the box set up Cadden, but he sliced his effort wide of the target with the goal gaping. Accies had managed to get to half time without conceding again and that was largely down to the way they defended and of course the fact that our playmakers, Jackson, Murphy and Newell had been unable to produce a quality final ball.

Hamilton started the second half as they had the first and had a couple of decent chances to equalise but Rocky was equal to the challenge. Ten minutes in, Doidge brilliantly controlled a ball into the box before slipping a pass to Cadden whose fierce drive looked on target but was well saved by Fulton. On the hour mark a long clearance from Marciano found Doig who manoeuvred himself into a shooting position but found his effort on goal blocked. Five minutes later, Nisbet was introduced for the strangely subdued Murphy.

With twenty minutes left, Hibs doubled their lead when Boyle got the ball on the right, skipped past Easton and reached the byeline before striking a low cross that deflected up into the air off Odoffin, reached the back post where Josh Doig gleefully headed home from close range. The youngster looked absolutely delighted and rightly so because he’d had a fine game. Two minutes later, Nisbet tested Fulton with a low drive with the keeper winning that contest. Soon after, Doidge gave way to Scott Allan, the Hibs man getting the chance to get more match minutes under his belt.

As is often the way, Martin Boyle was getting some rough treatment but as ever he just gets up and goes back for more. Next, there was a glimpse of the Scott Allan we all know and love when he spotted Cadden wide right and threaded a ball through, but it was millimetres short and cut out by a defender. I wager a match fit Allan would have found his target.

To their credit, Hamilton still played with two strikers and still tried to get forward whenever they could, but Hibs were resolute and brilliantly marshalled at the back by Darren McGregor. With the clock ticking down, the ball reached Boyle at the back post, but his right footed effort was wild and went out of play on the far side for a throw in. Soon after, Doig and Newell were replaced by Stevenson and Gogic but in truth the game was won by then and those replaced would probably have left to loud applause had we as fans been in the stadium.

The players

Marciano – One good save, low down, in the first half but pretty much everything after that was shot straight at him. Like his fellow defenders he’ll be delighted at keeping another clean sheet.

McGinn – Paul gave a steady Eddie type of performance and looks to be building a fine working relationship with Cadden down our right side.

McGregor – Once again, Daz was outstanding. Wins everything in the air and he came oh so close to getting my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Although he struggled a bit in the air when facing Moyo, he never really looked troubled at any time.

Cadden – Another good ninety minutes from Chris who looks to have settled well into Jack Ross’ set up. I like the way he delivers crosses early and I’m sure the strikers will benefit from that sooner rather than later.

Newell – Joe back to his best without being particularly flashy about what he does. Always available for a pass and invariably looking to start a forward move.

Irvine – I thought this was Jackson’s quietest game so far. He worked hard but I felt he just didn’t seem to get involved enough today.

Doig – A few of his crosses could have been better but over the period of time he was on the pitch he was excellent and showed enormous stamina in getting into position for his headed goal. Josh wins my man of the match award.

Murphy – Like Jackson, I felt Jamie just didn’t get involved enough and I wasn’t all that surprised when he was substituted.

Boyle – What a guy he is! His recent scoring record is excellent and would have been better had the penalty gone in. His goal was sublime and his play in the lead up to the second was excellent.

Doidge – No doubt he’s dried up in terms of goals, but his contribution otherwise was once again first class.

Nisbet – Good to see Kevin back involved and I thought he did ok, though he was a tad greedy at one point in going alone when a lay off was the obvious play.

Allan – I cannot stress enough how delighted I am to see Scott back in a Hibs jersey. The more minutes he gets, the better he’ll become.

Gogic – Brought on late in the game he slotted in and did his job well.

Stevenson – Same as Gogic actually.

Jack Ross – Happy with the outcome, as are we all, I’m sure.

Referee – Craig Napier looks like he got time off from school to referee! I doubt Brian Rice will agree but I thought the ref got the big decisions right.