hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Hamilton 20 02 21)

After the postponement of last weeks away game at Ross County, it was good to see Hibs back in action in facing Hamilton at Easter Road. An early confession from me – I tend to cringe when I read posts saying we should win easily, they’re the worst team in the league and so on. Love them or hate them, they fight their corner very well and embrace a never say die attitude that’s kept them in the top league for many more seasons than most expected them to.

Most thought the Hibs starting eleven would be unchanged but as it turned out, Newell returned at the expense of Gogic. I felt sorry for Alex as he’d been playing well but I understood the thinking behind the change. The shape seemed to involve three at the back, three in midfield with Murphy and Boyle roaming the area behind Christian Doidge.

When the game started, Hamilton were on the front foot from the off and Marciano had to look sharp in pushing away a shot from McMann. Ex-Hibee Scott Martin was next to test the keeper but the shot was straight at him. A mix up between Hanlon and Doig presented Ogkmpoe with an opportunity but his left footed effort struck the base of the post.

Hibs were struggling to gain any creative possession but twelve minutes in, Boyle went scampering after a lofted pass down the Hibs right. Accies defender Jamie Hamilton tried to get to the ball first but as he lunged forward, Boyle tipped the ball past him before being cleaned out by Hamilton’s challenge. Referee Craig Napier had to sort out the fallout from the challenge before, correctly in my view, giving the Accies man a red card.

Just a minute or so later, Hibs took the lead when Newell’s free kick into the box was partially cleared before Josh Doig hooked a short pass to Boyle. Some twenty yards from goal, Boyle got the ball under control, took a step or two and then guided a wonderful effort beyond Fulton and into the net at the far corner. There was no great pace in the shot, but the precision was to be admired.

Hibs started to dominate possession and set about putting the Accies goal under siege, but the visitors defended doggedly, aided in part by a poor final ball from a Hibs man. Josh Doig raced on to a ball at the edge of the box, but his fierce drive was well saved by Fulton. McGinn and Murphy were next to try their luck but both efforts were charged down before the ball got anywhere near Fulton.

Although down to ten men, Accies fought their corner well but their cause was not helped when Ogkmpoe limped off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem after chasing a loose ball with Darren McGregor. Next, a fine cross from Doig picked out Doidge in the middle but Easton did just enough to prevent the Hibs striker from making a good connection.

Just past the half hour mark, Hibs were awarded a penalty. A Boyle corner reached McGregor at the back post whereupon the Hibs man nodded the ball back into the danger area. Doidge looked to get a shot away but was felled by Moyo and referee Napier showed no hesitation in pointing at the spot. In form and playing with huge confidence, Boyle stepped forward, but his strike was saved low to Fulton’s right.

That miss seemed to dent Hibs temporarily and on a rare foray forward, Accies won a free kick around twenty yards out but McMann’s effort at goal was miles over the bar. The hosts got themselves back on the front foot, but the telling pass was still missing, until that is a superb ball by Boyle across the box set up Cadden, but he sliced his effort wide of the target with the goal gaping. Accies had managed to get to half time without conceding again and that was largely down to the way they defended and of course the fact that our playmakers, Jackson, Murphy and Newell had been unable to produce a quality final ball.

Hamilton started the second half as they had the first and had a couple of decent chances to equalise but Rocky was equal to the challenge. Ten minutes in, Doidge brilliantly controlled a ball into the box before slipping a pass to Cadden whose fierce drive looked on target but was well saved by Fulton. On the hour mark a long clearance from Marciano found Doig who manoeuvred himself into a shooting position but found his effort on goal blocked. Five minutes later, Nisbet was introduced for the strangely subdued Murphy.

With twenty minutes left, Hibs doubled their lead when Boyle got the ball on the right, skipped past Easton and reached the byeline before striking a low cross that deflected up into the air off Odoffin, reached the back post where Josh Doig gleefully headed home from close range. The youngster looked absolutely delighted and rightly so because he’d had a fine game. Two minutes later, Nisbet tested Fulton with a low drive with the keeper winning that contest. Soon after, Doidge gave way to Scott Allan, the Hibs man getting the chance to get more match minutes under his belt.

As is often the way, Martin Boyle was getting some rough treatment but as ever he just gets up and goes back for more. Next, there was a glimpse of the Scott Allan we all know and love when he spotted Cadden wide right and threaded a ball through, but it was millimetres short and cut out by a defender. I wager a match fit Allan would have found his target.

To their credit, Hamilton still played with two strikers and still tried to get forward whenever they could, but Hibs were resolute and brilliantly marshalled at the back by Darren McGregor. With the clock ticking down, the ball reached Boyle at the back post, but his right footed effort was wild and went out of play on the far side for a throw in. Soon after, Doig and Newell were replaced by Stevenson and Gogic but in truth the game was won by then and those replaced would probably have left to loud applause had we as fans been in the stadium.

The players

Marciano – One good save, low down, in the first half but pretty much everything after that was shot straight at him. Like his fellow defenders he’ll be delighted at keeping another clean sheet.

McGinn – Paul gave a steady Eddie type of performance and looks to be building a fine working relationship with Cadden down our right side.

McGregor – Once again, Daz was outstanding. Wins everything in the air and he came oh so close to getting my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Although he struggled a bit in the air when facing Moyo, he never really looked troubled at any time.

Cadden – Another good ninety minutes from Chris who looks to have settled well into Jack Ross’ set up. I like the way he delivers crosses early and I’m sure the strikers will benefit from that sooner rather than later.

Newell – Joe back to his best without being particularly flashy about what he does. Always available for a pass and invariably looking to start a forward move.

Irvine – I thought this was Jackson’s quietest game so far. He worked hard but I felt he just didn’t seem to get involved enough today.

Doig – A few of his crosses could have been better but over the period of time he was on the pitch he was excellent and showed enormous stamina in getting into position for his headed goal. Josh wins my man of the match award.

Murphy – Like Jackson, I felt Jamie just didn’t get involved enough and I wasn’t all that surprised when he was substituted.

Boyle – What a guy he is! His recent scoring record is excellent and would have been better had the penalty gone in. His goal was sublime and his play in the lead up to the second was excellent.

Doidge – No doubt he’s dried up in terms of goals, but his contribution otherwise was once again first class.

Nisbet – Good to see Kevin back involved and I thought he did ok, though he was a tad greedy at one point in going alone when a lay off was the obvious play.

Allan – I cannot stress enough how delighted I am to see Scott back in a Hibs jersey. The more minutes he gets, the better he’ll become.

Gogic – Brought on late in the game he slotted in and did his job well.

Stevenson – Same as Gogic actually.

Jack Ross – Happy with the outcome, as are we all, I’m sure.

Referee – Craig Napier looks like he got time off from school to referee! I doubt Brian Rice will agree but I thought the ref got the big decisions right.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Agree with you John when folk start posting about easy wins. Makes me cringe too.

Great summary as usual

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I also hate it JC when posters predict an easy win, especially in derby games. Invariably it goes wrong.

For me the sending off and goal came at a perfect time as they started the better by far.

I was disappointed in Murphy, he's an excellent football player but needs to do more.

Not vintage but given the situation I would have taken 2-0 before the game, I would also take 2-0 at home to Motherwell next Saturday.

Prepare yourself for another barrage of easy win predictions John

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    There is no such a thing as an easy game in this league, and Hamilton’s performance today proved that
    I’m wondering how the game would have ended 11v11
    Agree with all your ratings JB, although I’ll be honest I didn’t enjoy the game
    Great 3 points and onto next week, against another team fighting for their Premiership status

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Maybe Irvine had a quiter game without gocic beside him they seem to have the balance , not sure though , great report as per.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also hate it JC when posters predict an easy win, especially in derby games. Invariably it goes wrong.

For me the sending off and goal came at a perfect time as they started the better by far.

I was disappointed in Murphy, he's an excellent football player but needs to do more.

Not vintage but given the situation I would have taken 2-0 before the game, I would also take 2-0 at home to Motherwell next Saturday.

I think Murphy is a good player, but a player who does need a better pitch to do what he does best and go past players and create.

I wonder if the state of the pitch contributed to him not being at his best today?

Coaching Staff

Noticed that M'well had a few first team players out today, I think only O'Donnell was one I recall being suspended. Were the likes of Campbell, Gallagher and Campbell injured ?

They seem to be persisting with 4-3-3 which will surely change next week given they have shipped 7 goals in 2 games.

The Motherwell I watched v Celtic and The Rangers will be difficult opponents that's for sure. Just hope we get the 'Well that's turned up last two games. They also have a habit of putting in a decent performance at Easter Road, they are always close games.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I thought that the two week gap between games didn't help to begin with - that usually takes place after a cup/international weekend so both teams are from the same starting block, but Hamilton not only had momentum under their belt but they'd skelped Motherwell recently to make sure that they're full of confidence. Wasn't shocked to see them start brightly.

Ref got the red card bang on, and we managed the game very well. Lovely finish from Boyle. Would like to see Doidge get a penalty as I think it'll just take a goal for him to start banging them in again. On that subject, I thought Doidge had a good game again.

You look at Josh Doig and you wonder why another club in this country saw fit to release him. He's a star.

As ever, good report on the game

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Noticed that M'well had a few first team players out today, I think only O'Donnell was one I recall being suspended. Were the likes of Campbell, Gallagher and Campbell injured ?

They seem to be persisting with 4-3-3 which will surely change next week given they have shipped 7 goals in 2 games.

The Motherwell I watched v Celtic and The Rangers will be difficult opponents that's for sure. Just hope we get the 'Well that's turned up last two games. They also have a habit of putting in a decent performance at Easter Road, they are always close games.
    Gallagher is injured, not sure about Campbell.

Campbell and O'Hara were both out due to non covid related illness

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    and I meant Mugabe (not Campbell twice)........looks like they played a few young players today too.

Like you say, any win will do next week. The team are showing a lot of character and work rate these last few games and getting the rewards.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Maybe a middle two of Newell and Gogic with Irvine playing where Murphy was could be decent. Especially against the old firm.

A by the numbers win after they went down to 10 men, though I was relieved when we got the 2nd, coz a draw would have been a disaster given once again how profligate we were with possession in the final third, failing to create many clear cut chances from good positions.

Marciano .... 6 .... The good news is he doesn't have a lot to do these days, which is testament to the players in front of him, a couple of decent saves for all that.

McGinn .... 6 ..... Nothing brilliant, nothing rubbish.

McGregor .... 7 .... Didn't have as tough a game as he might have against 11 men, but never really put a foot wrong winning every ball that came his way.

Hanlon ... 6 .... Same as Daz but not quite so involved, did the right thing by decisively clearing the ball when a mix up between him and Rocky looked immanent.

Doig ... 8 ... Bombed up and down the pitch all afternoon, hit a decent shot that could have troubled the keeper had it gone either side of him and of course scored.

Newell ... 7 ... Quietly efficient.

Irvine ... 6 ... One of his quieter afternoons and absolutely chose the wrong ball when he could have put Murphy clean trough, never stopped running though.

Murphy .... 5 ..... Bang average today, did little with the possession he had and put Boyle on his arse with an awful pass from a good position.

Cadden ... 6 .... Did ok and tried to get involved, you cant fault his work rate, but should have done far better with a decent chance.

Boyle .... 7 .... His good form continues and he took his goal well. The only criticism over his penalty is that he put it exactly where he has put his last two, perhaps someone should tell him that they have TV in Hamilton and keepers own TVs.

Doidge ... 6 .... As usual worked hard enough, but he looks like he could play two games a day and not score, has nobody told him what a near post run is.

SUBS:

Stevenson .... 4 .... Does what it says on the tin.

Nisbet ... 4 .... Got involved, but overhit a pass when he could have created an opportunity for Boyle, symptomatic of a problem that afflicts far too many of our players.

Allan .... 5 ... Did fine when he came on and as usual tried a few things, unsurprisingly he looks a wee bit overweight.

The Ref ..... Was kind to us for 30 minutes. He gave what looked like a by kick when Daz nearly scored, unless it was offside that was given, but it looked like the keeper took a by kick to me. If it was he must be blind not to see that the keeper had tipped Daz's effort round the post for a corner.

Jack Ross. The OP said he would be happy with the result, perhaps Jack should tell his face then, coz Pat Fenlon looked cheerier after the 2012 cup final. Perhaps he should get Martin Boyle to do the post match interviews, at least he has a bloody personality. Can't argue with the results though, so in the end well done Jack, credit where it's due.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 20-02-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think Murphy is a good player, but a player who does need a better pitch to do what he does best and go past players and create.

I wonder if the state of the pitch contributed to him not being at his best today?
    Was thinking the same watching the game today. Murphy needs the ball on the deck so he can use his skill to twist and turn and take players on. When the ball is bobbling all over the place he is less of a threat.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Agree. There was a run midway through first half where he moved to cut inside the defender and the ball just ran away from his touch.

MoTM has to be "now you see it, now you don't" Boyle.

As per the St Mirren game he won the game for Hibs early in the 1st half with his bravery.
    As per the St Mirren game he knew he was going to take a really painful clatter but took it nonetheless.
    He followed that up with a great goal a minute later and the game was effectively over with 77 minutes to go.

I worry about Martin when he does his stunt man thing and the hit he took for the sending off could have seen him badly injured as could his tricking of Alnwick against St Mirren.
    Marry the above up with his open play goals against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and you have a 4 game package where he has been the game changer.
    Hell he even picked the right game to miss a penalty and tried to hit the linesman with a shot! What a player.

As for the game today, the sending off killed it and Hibs knew it. A professional display after that but no fun for me with zillions of poor passes and lots of bad decision making.

An easy win as predicted .
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 20-02-2021 at 06:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Sending off turned the game in our favour. Until then it was all Hamilton.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    It was, but it was only 10 minutes who knows what would have happened without the sending off. It is what it is.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squealing pig View Post
    Maybe Irvine had a quiter game without gocic beside him they seem to have the balance , not sure though , great report as per.
    Definitely felt Hamilton got a grip of the midfield early doors as we missed Gocic but once they went down to 10 , we started to dominate midfield.
    Thought Irvine had a decent enough first half but faded in the second half .
    Another 3pts and another good summary JB .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    And they did pretty well to threaten still even down to ten men. Didn't look like a relegation team.
    Mind had we taken our chances it could have been another 6-0.
    If we are, or expect to be, on the front foot in a game with most of the possession I'd rather see Nisbet up front to work off through balls (along with Boyle) from Newell/Allan/Irvine.
    In games where we are likely to have less of the ball, Gogic in as DM and Doidge up front.

Not surprised Hamilton were better for the first 10.

Fighting for relegation and would have chucked everything at us and start the game 100 mph.

Even with 10 men I think we would have got through their good start and started playing better and still win.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    And they did pretty well to threaten still even down to ten men. Didn't look like a relegation team.
    Mind had we taken our chances it could have been another 6-0.
    If we are, or expect to be, on the front foot in a game with most of the possession I'd rather see Nisbet up front to work off through balls (along with Boyle) from Newell/Allan/Irvine.
    In games where we are likely to have less of the ball, Gogic in as DM and Doidge up front.
    The sending off obviously helped us massively, we hadn’t started at all. Once that happened and we scored quickly there was only one outcome.

I’m still not sure we’re good enough to talk about only playing Gogic in certain games. Even with ten men, Hamilton were well in it and probably had as many clear cut chances across the 90 minutes as we gave up in the last three games.

Irvine and Newell both look better with Gogic next to them for me.

Thanks again for another thoughtful report. I think goalies often get a raw deal when shots are described as “being right at him” as that might be because the goalie is in exactly the right place.Marciano has been in really good form since he came back in.I didn’t think McGinn was too hot today.Lacking in fizz a bit and it seemed to get a bit congested down the right with him and Cadden too close in spells.Hamilton certainly pushed up into that area and it all looked a bit clumsy.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Thanks again for another thoughtful report. I think goalies often get a raw deal when shots are described as “being right at him” as that might be because the goalie is in exactly the right place.Marciano has been in really good form since he came back in.I didn’t think McGinn was too hot today.Lacking in fizz a bit and it seemed to get a bit congested down the right with him and Cadden too close in spells.Hamilton certainly pushed up into that area and it all looked a bit clumsy.
    I think McGinn has played the most minutes of any player in the top flight just now and I might drop him for Porteous for a game or two so he can get a bit of a rest.

Nisbet looked like a new man today.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Great report as ever. I’m pleased that you highlighted Doidge’s contribution. He works really hard and I’m sure the goals will come.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    MoTM has to be "now you see it, now you don't" Boyle.

As per the St Mirren game he won the game for Hibs early in the 1st half with his bravery.
    As per the St Mirren game he knew he was going to take a really painful clatter but took it nonetheless.
    He followed that up with a great goal a minute later and the game was effectively over with 77 minutes to go.

I worry about Martin when he does his stunt man thing and the hit he took for the sending off could have seen him badly injured as could his tricking of Alnwick against St Mirren.
    Marry the above up with his open play goals against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and you have a 4 game package where he has been the game changer.
    Hell he even picked the right game to miss a penalty and tried to hit the linesman with a shot! What a player.

As for the game today, the sending off killed it and Hibs knew it. A professional display after that but no fun for me with zillions of poor passes and lots of bad decision making.

An easy win as predicted .
    Agree with most of this CM but the game's never over while it's 1-0. We need to be more ruthless. But, nice problems to have 😁 GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Really good point re: Marciano. No coincidence he's so often in the right place at the right time.

First Team Regular
    Thanks for report.

Felt MB might miss the penalty - was slightly lucky against Aberdeen I thought.

We re having a bit of luck at the mo - playing teams this week and next that have midweek matches while we are resting.

Doig - what is his contract situation? Boy is going places.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Thanks for taking the time to post

May the good times roll

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think McGinn has played the most minutes of any player in the top flight just now and I might drop him for Porteous for a game or two so he can get a bit of a rest.

Nisbet looked like a new man today.
    We improved considerably when Nisbet came on. His movement is streets ahead of Doidge and he is very good at holding the ball up and actually making a positive pass. Doidge again just about scraped pass marks for me but apart from being a bit annoying to defenders doesn't really offer very much. For the umpteenth game in a row he missed another good chance. He did well setting up a chance in the box with a good shield and lay off but it was bread and butter stuff.

I would have Boyle as MOTM too. He has been our match winner so many times this season and was the main reason for our victory today. Doig was excellent too but his final ball was poor on many occasions. He has shown he can strike a ball well and has put in some great balls this year but he was floating the ball in rather than getting some pace on it.

Big Daz has made such a difference in defence. He is always in a good position and has played to his strengths. Ryan may get his best footballing lessons this season while warming the bench and will hopefully come back better and stronger

All in all a competent performance helped by a referee making the correct decisions for once.