hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Barnes and Sportscene critical of the red card and penalty - particularly McFadden - which convinces me he got the decisions right.
    What’s the justification for it not being a red?

Out of control, reckless, high on the player, off the ground. The only thing is that he takes the ball while he takes Boyle out. Everything else ticks the boxes for a red card. You can’t make challenges like that in this day and age.
    Last edited by Jones28; 21-02-2021 at 06:56 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    What do you recommend, we remove the penalty box? A foul is a foul whether inside the box or not, if it’s in the box it’s a penalty regardless of their intentions. According to Google, the first penalty was awarded in 1891, do you really know their thoughts back then on why it was created?
    The thing is, these soft fouls would not have been given 20 years ago. It’s the scourge of the modern game and its time refs started waving play on when players crumple in a heap at slightest contact.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    The thing is, these soft fouls would not have been given 20 years ago. It’s the scourge of the modern game and its time refs started waving play on when players crumple in a heap at slightest contact.
    I don't want us to go back to "how the game was" though, nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Wimbledon managed to be a top flight team down south and they made Hearts look like tiki-taka era Barcelona. A foul shouldn't need to be 'crunching' to be given. Some players will make the most of contact but the game up here as we have it - with albeit more competant referees - but no VAR is just about right for entertainment IMO.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think on platforms like this, what someone actually means can often get lost when people only look at a certain part of a post.

I'm not saying that they deserved to score, obviously hitting the post and a goalkeeper making a save is part of the game. Referring back to my original post, all I meant was they went from almost scoring on two occasions before the red card to conceding almost immediately after the red card and that the red card changed the game massively in our favour.

We'll never know what the outcome would have been if the red card hadn't happened but there's no doubt they were the better side before that happened and we looked pretty uncomfortable.
    Fair enough, SDG. Games swing on decisions sometimes but the team favoured still have to put a performance in. Hamilton are one of those teams whose resilience goes goes a long way but they are also very fragile. A good opening ten minutes, true, but they still didn't score.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    You are asking me a question that would take a UEFA committee 3 months together to come up with a definitive definition. I'm sure you appreciate my reluctance to spend lots of time on this for you
    My issue is simply with players inducing contact.
    As an example let's take Hibs v Aberdeen from earlier in the season. A match Hibs lost 1-0 to a penalty.
    The penalty came about when an Aberdeen player saw Boyle about to clear the ball. He stepped from out of Boyle's vision into a position where the ball was so that when Boyle went to kick the ball he kicked the player instead. His sole purpose was to induce the foul and gain a penalty.
    It's no more a foul than people who set up fraudulant schemes where they jump in front of cars and role onto the bonnet as the car strikes them is a genuine accident.
    It's inducement, trickery or whatever you want to call it but it is not a foul.
    That’s nonsense. The Aberdeen player nicked in and touched the ball away before Boyle kicked it which resulted in Martin booting him. The exact same happened yesterday, Doidge touched the ball away. So you reckon the attacking players should step back and just let the defender clear it?

UEFA also don’t make up the rules. You also stated that this wasn’t why the penalty rule was brought in 130 years ago. As if we all know why it was brought in.

It wasn’t soft, he tried to kick the ball, missed and booted the player. That’s always been a foul. The red card wouldn’t have been a foul but player safety has taken over, can’t steam into tackles at that speed with studs showing now, and rightly so.

@hibs.net private member
    Brian Rice still moaning about the red card.
    Definite red card , no doubt they will be putting in an appeal 1st thing Monday morning then.
    Hopefully this will be the season that they and there crappy plastic pitch go down and with a bit of luck Kilmarnock will go down them.

That’s nonsense. The Aberdeen player nicked in and touched the ball away before Boyle kicked it which resulted in Martin booting him. The exact same happened yesterday, Doidge touched the ball away. So you reckon the attacking players should step back and just let the defender clear it?

UEFA also don’t make up the rules. You also stated that this wasn’t why the penalty rule was brought in 130 years ago. As if we all know why it was brought in.
    Just looked at the Boyle one again and I was indeed speaking rubbish. Green specs on.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    It wasn’t soft, he tried to kick the ball, missed and booted the player. That’s always been a foul. The red card wouldn’t have been a foul but player safety has taken over, can’t steam into tackles at that speed with studs showing now, and rightly so.
    I never said it was. We were discussing the penalty.

I never said it was. We were discussing the penalty.
    And I was comparing it to the red card, the penalty has always been a foul, booting players without touching the ball isn’t allowed and never has been.

The red card was allowed back in the day, but not nowadays. That’s the one that’s changed over the years.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Part of the problem with people claiming the foul on Boyle wasn’t a red is that refs in Scotland are very lenient compared to other leagues. VAR with lots more angles than the sub-standard BBC coverage would have shown the defenders back leg catches Boyle and it’s an out of control off the ground lunge. Times have changed and the ball players are better protected. Well done the ref and dinosaurs like John Barnes need to catch up.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Part of the problem with people claiming the foul on Boyle wasn’t a red is that refs in Scotland are very lenient compared to other leagues. VAR with lots more angles than the sub-standard BBC coverage would have shown the defenders back leg catches Boyle and it’s an out of control off the ground lunge. Times have changed and the ball players are better protected. Well done the ref and dinosaurs like John Barnes need to catch up.
    I noticed that too. I think at one time it was an automatic red if the trailing leg caught the player but the rules change so often these days I didn't want to say anything unless the "we know the up-to-date rules" brigade jumped on my back.

That last bit was a joke BTW.