hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy to raise your game now and then. I see it more of a fluke, defending our own box against Serbia, very little thinking to be done other than head and kick everything. Playing alongside some of the best players in the premier league in Tierney Robertson McTominay and being protected by McGinn. He’s shown week in week out that he’s no better than an average centre half, and he’s at an age where we aren’t going to be building our defence around, let alone shell out a decent wad of cash on him.

Likelihood is that Porto will move on, and we are going to have to start forward planning for the future beyond McGregor and Hanlon (although the latter still has a few years left), I’d much prefer that to be someone in their mid twenties who fits into our transfer policy.
    You're right. Scotland qualified for their first ever major finals for more than 2 decades by him playing centre half and it was a "fluke". It was only 1 game he played wasn't it? You can't "fluke" your through multiple international standard games so it must have just been the one game.

Honestly laughable how blinkered how some of our fans are.

"Easy to raise your game now and then". Aye, it's easy at international standard football to raise your game during Euro play off games away to teams like Serbia.

It's easy to do as long as your full backs and centre midfielders are good. You don't need any ability at all, a left back will mean you can just fluke your way multiple international matches at center half.

Absolutely clueless some folk about football.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 20-02-2021 at 11:24 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You're right. Scotland qualified for their first ever major finals for more than 2 decades by him playing centre half and it was a "fluke". It was only 1 game he played wasn't it? You can't "fluke" your through multiple international standard games so it must have just been the one game.

"Easy to raise your game now and then". Aye, it's easy at international standard football to raise your game during Euro play off games away to teams like Serbia.

It's easy to do as long as your full backs and centre midfielders are good. You don't need any ability at all, a left back will mean you can just fluke your way multiple international matches at center half.

Absolutely no need in that last bit, calling someone clueless due to a difference of opinion.

Gallagher was immense for Scotland in the two qualifying games but I hadn't been convinced by him for Scotland before then, thought he was poor in his first couple of internationals. He was also no doubt helped a lot by the quality of players around him and the fact that his role was basically just to win headers against mitrovic.

I've seen plenty of evidence this season to support the idea that his game against Serbia was a well above average performance for him. He's been the direct cause of several goals Motherwell have conceded this year. He also cost them their Europa tie with two stupid errors in the space of 5 minutes when it was looking like they could put out a strong Israeli side.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

What a horrible and totally unnecessary attempt at making a point. No need at all.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    McGregor has become the leader on the pitch that we were missing and has presence and a steadying influence.

@hibs.net private member
    Pre Daz being back in the side I’d be watching any cross balls into the Hibs boss from behind the couch, scared the life out of me. I would say that all the blame can’t be put at central defence, Rocky should be dominating his area more I feel. He seems very hesitant for coming for any balls into the box that aren’t landing basically landing on his head.

Love it. He was crap for Scotland pre the two play off games, and even then one was against Israel, hardly a top international side.

It’s also common for players to raise their game for ‘big games’, he had one job against Serbia and it was to defend our box. He was outstanding, I agree, but he’s been absolutely toilet for Motherwell outwith that. Mitrovic is a very good brute of a striker, but he’s not got any pace or skill to run past anyone, which is a centre backs dream, they hate pace and skill.

How many times have Hibs sides been outstanding against the old firm only to drop points at home to ***** the week after, it happens all the time in football.

I’m guessing you are related to Declan due to how angry you are though, so I’ll apologise for that.

Daz is your no nonsense CH, puts his body on the line and does the basics well. Porteous wants to be the ball playing type of CH but he hasn't yet learned to do the basics to a high standard, as I said earlier Hanlon I think feels more relaxed knowing Daz is beside him and he can concentrate on his own job instead of trying to coach Porteous through games.