hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

McGregor & Hanlon

What great servants these 2 have been to the club. Paul looks far more comfortable with Darren alongside him.

No great test for them today but no coincidence we're starting to get clean sheets since Darren came into the side.

Finished.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Still be our defensive pairing in 2030

First Team Regular howdenthehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What great servants these 2 have been to the club. Paul looks far more comfortable with Darren alongside him.

No great test for them today but no coincidence we're starting to get clean sheets since Darren came into the side.
    Correctamundo! Big Daz oozes the confidence that an experienced pro brings,he's a good no nonsense defender with no lack of skill too(Porto take note( where as Hanlon is a wee bit more silky with Daz beside him.A very good pairing.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    McGregor plays = Hibs win

Hands up, I thought Daz was finished but he's been a colossus since he's he's made it back into the team. And Hanlon is no bad too.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Hands up, I thought Daz was finished but he's been a colossus since he's he's made it back into the team. And Hanlon is no bad too.
    I think what has taken me by surprise about Daz is the amount of consecutive games he's played, playing weekends and midweek for instance I thought he might have a problem with but his fitness seems to be holding up admirably. He's been immense since he came back.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    McGregor plays = Hibs win
    He's be phenomenal since coming back into the team.

Still can't get my head around how much he's done for Hibs, after being disposed of like a piece of garbage by the Huns

Legend.

First Team Breakthrough
    Great defensive performance today albeit not up against much threat after the sending off.
    Daz and Hanlon can’t go on forever and I think the next centre half signing needs to be marquee- whether he plays with Porto or not.
    Gallagher of M’well for me

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comiston Hibee View Post
    Great defensive performance today albeit not up against much threat after the sending off.
    Daz and Hanlon can’t go on forever and I think the next centre half signing needs to be marquee- whether he plays with Porto or not.
    I thought they both struggled at times today especially with high balls pumped forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    I thought they both struggled at times today especially with high balls pumped forward.
    Daz never missed a header all game.

Quote Originally Posted by Comiston Hibee View Post
    I take it you know that Gallagher is only a year younger than Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I take it you know that Gallagher is only a year younger than Hanlon
    And significantly worse. Motherwell have been dreadful at the back this year. 46 goals lost.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    And significantly worse. Motherwell have been dreadful at the back this year. 46 goals lost.

It it never fails to surprise me that Hibs net posters continue to agitate to replace defenders with the third best record in the league with defenders with the third worst record in the league in the expectation that this will be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It it never fails to surprise me that Hibs net posters continue to agitate to replace defenders with the third best record in the league with defenders with the third worst record in the league in the expectation that this will be an improvement.
    I don’t know the answer to this but I’m sure someone will but what was Liverpool’s defensive record like compared to Southampton’s when they signed van Dijk? Could it be that one defender could significantly improve another team?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It's all relative.

Gallagher has also been the central centre half of the Scotland team that's qualified for the first major tournament in over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post

Could that be because Paul doesn't have to look out for his younger team mate, instead Daz just gets on doing what he does and this allows Paul to concentrate on his own game.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Could that be because Paul doesn't have to look out for his younger team mate, instead Daz just gets on doing what he does and this allows Paul to concentrate on his own game.
    Darren has been terrific has to be said, and I agree with your observation too. The other thing to note is that Ryan likes to play out of defence at times and get forward which can leave Paul Hanlon exposed a little, or marking two when play breaks down and Ryan is out of position up field. Darren tends to hold his position, stay central, and concentrates on doing the basics of defending (well). Not criticising Paul here, but Ryan would learn more looking at Darren's game - master the basics first, then add in the footballing side.

Both DM and PH have played really well and been solid of late

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    By far the best centre half pairing we have at the club.

Darren is immense

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    We've only conceded four more goals all season than Celtic, and considering that sticky spell when the players were knackered and we conceded five in a week that's outstanding reading.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 20-02-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Are they actually doing better than Hanlon and Porteous did at the start? I actually just think that we're back to usual after a dip, not that one player had fixed something. It wasn't really broken.

He’s been fantastic and just what we needed as Porteous was struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    We are so much more solid with Porteous out of the team and Darren McGregor in. We have good enough footballers in midfield and attack that we do not currently need a ball-playing CB but just someone who is defensively solid and takes no chances. Him and Hanlon great together.

Worth pointing out that we're playing three at the back now, not a pairing of McGregor and Hanlon.

McGregor does the central role of staying steady and clearing it very well, which enables Hanlon and McGinn to concentrate on runners and get involved when we have the ball.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Worth pointing out that we're playing three at the back now, not a pairing of McGregor and Hanlon.

McGregor does the central role of staying steady and clearing it very well, which enables Hanlon and McGinn to concentrate on runners and get involved when we have the ball.
    Again, another great observation helped by Cadden and Doig being full of energy and running, and both as good these last few games going forward as they are defensively. Cadden has some engine on him - terrific signing Doig just looks like a natural and he's destined for big things, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

Valid point. I also think that, at this stage of his career, that position in the middle of the three suits McGregor perfectly. Less likely to get pulled about and doesn’t need to do much in the way of running.

Darren continues to show why he is the best centre half at the club.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Colossus - I’d imagine if you searched for the phrase in the post Sauzee era the word would most undoubtedly be attributed to Daz.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    McGregor has become the leader on the pitch that we were missing and has presence and a steadying influence.