hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Doig

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But were they offered deals before other clubs were sniffing around? Could we have added a year to eaches deal after the Scottish cup win for example?
    If Fyvie's case 100% but he thought he could do better.

McGinn was but he was always moving on.

McGeouch was but he didn't like Lennon.

As I said earlier you can't make players sign extensions, they know how the system works.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Irving hates the Hibs... not a chance he would come to us. I actually think he is decent but we are looking at levels above that now.
    I have never seen anything in him that made me sit up and think "hes worth a punt" anyway but I have always thought that professionals making those views known are a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    If Fyvie's case 100% but he thought he could do better.

McGinn was but he was always moving on.

McGeouch was but he didn't like Lennon.

As I said earlier you can't make players sign extensions, they know how the system works.
    I know you cant make players sign extensions, but being proactive about it does no harm. Offering them a deal with 6 months to go isn't better than with 18 months or 2 years to go.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know you cant make players sign extensions, but being proactive about it does no harm. Offering them a deal with 6 months to go isn't better than with 18 months or 2 years to go.
    How do you know we didnt?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How do you know we didnt?
    I don't. But considering for years we consistently had our better players going to the last year or 6 months and leaving for less than they were worth, and now we're managing to keep a few (Boyle, Newall and getting the youngsters on longer deals) I'd say we're doing something a bit differently or better.

Don't really know why folk are all over me for this CRAZY suggestion.

I don't. But considering for years we consistently had our better players going to the last year or 6 months and leaving for less than they were worth, and now we're managing to keep a few (Boyle, Newall and getting the youngsters on longer deals) I'd say we're doing something a bit differently or better.

You are right, apart from the players we did get to sign extensions to their contracts, we let them run their contracts down, even though you dont know if we offered them contract extensions or not.

Yes i think that just about covers it.

You are right, apart from the players we did get to sign extensions to their contracts, we let them run their contracts down, even though you dont know if we offered them contract extensions or not.

Yes i think that just about covers it.
    Is there seriously any need for this patter? I just suggested we are doing something differently and seem to be more proactive with renewalls. I apologise for that obviously outrageous suggestion.

I'm quite clearly not suggesting we didn't offer players contracts. I'm saying now we seem to be getting renewalls done actively and staying on top of these things. Thats all.

I guess I should just stick to utter chronic patter like ''hur dur, is this a bigger game than the last big game'' like you do.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Our failure to achieve promotion in 2015 and 2016 is probably a key contributing factor to contract negotiations not progressing far with Allan, McGinn and McGeouch at those times. As a club we couldn’t have offered much in the way of a pay bump and as players they would be unlikely to commit to stay longer at a club failing to meet their sporting objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Our failure to achieve promotion in 2015 and 2016 is probably a key contributing factor to contract negotiations not progressing far with Allan, McGinn and McGeouch at those times. As a club we couldn’t have offered much in the way of a pay bump and as players they would be unlikely to commit to stay longer at a club failing to meet their sporting objectives.
    Yeah, that is probably true. Certainly weakens our bargaining position.

Is there seriously any need for this patter? I just suggested we are doing something differently and seem to be more proactive with renewalls. I apologise for that obviously outrageous suggestion.

I'm quite clearly not suggesting we didn't offer players contracts. I'm saying now we seem to be getting renewalls done actively and staying on top of these things. Thats all.

I guess I should just stick to utter chronic patter like ''hur dur, is this a bigger game than the last big game'' like you do.
    I'd say we are not doing anything different, we are making these signing extensions just like we have always done, and the players who dont want to sign them wont until they weigh up their options.

Nothing has changed at all as you are saying.

I'd say we are not doing anything different, we are making these signing extensions just like we have always done, and the players who dont want to sign them wont until they weigh up their options.

Right, okay bud whatever you say.

You have as little idea as I do. Difference is, I think you are just disagreeing for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out that we seem to be doing better in that area.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    You are right we are progressing in the right direction and have done well with Ryan Porteous and Josh Doig amongst others.

We have left it quite late with Marciano but in the case of Newell and Irvine you can't really offer them deals too early as they are just in the door relatively speaking.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Tend to agree with that, other than McGeouch can’t think of any other player who left recently on freedom of contract (happy to be corrected on that one) and the accepted view on here is he was offered a new deal but wouldn’t sign it because of Lennon. We also managed to get Boyle and Cummings to sign new deals when their contracts were close to ending. If a player is viewed by the club as worth keeping I think we make moves to offer them new contracts. As you say some will sign, others such as Rocky will weigh up their options.

Right, okay bud whatever you say.

You have as little idea as I do. Difference is, I think you are just disagreeing for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out that we seem to be doing better in that area.
    Disagreeing for the sake of it, jeezus christ, pot calling kettle.

Not really. I always try to back my points up with facts and opinions. You haven't done that at all. You argument is essentially ''how do you know we didn't'' then some smart arse posts.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    My biggest fan you are.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm on the side of Blackpoolhibs.
    I would be honestly baffled if Hibs have in the past "left it late" to offer contracts.
    There is also no proof of this either.

We do seem to be getting more players to re-sign. I think this is either due to that we are now offering more money than in the past or players are more likely to sign a contract early rather than wait to see if there is anything better due to current uncertain economic times.

For example with Marciano. I think the most likely reason is that he thinks he can get a better deal, so is playing the long game.

Hibs will either have offered him something already or won't do it at all.

The only reason they might wait to offer him is if they think they might get a better goalie in.

IMO obviously. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    I'm on the side of Blackpoolhibs.
    I would be honestly baffled if Hibs have in the past "left it late" to offer contracts.
    There is also no proof of this either.

We do seem to be getting more players to re-sign. I think this is either due to that we are now offering more money than in the past or players are more likely to sign a contract early rather than wait to see if there is anything better due to current uncertain economic times.

For example with Marciano. I think the most likely reason is that he thinks he can get a better deal, so is playing the long game.

Hibs will either have offered him something already or won't do it at all.

The only reason they might wait to offer him is if they think they might get a better goalie in.

IMO obviously. :)
    There is a middle ground between leaving it late and being pro active. I simply think we have been in that middle ground.

@hibs.net private member
    There is a middle ground between leaving it late and being pro active. I simply think we have been in that middle ground.
    Fair enough.

I think if we were working in that middle ground like you said, that would constitute a massive failing of Hibs.

IMO we might not offer the going rate for a player, but I just don't think we would be daft enough not to get the offer in in plenty time.

Do you think Hibs are doing this as they haven't considered properly the contracts are ending, or that they are trying to second guess the player by offering a contract late? (Or some other reason)

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    Fair enough.

I think if we were working in that middle ground like you said, that would constitute a massive failing of Hibs.

IMO we might not offer the going rate for a player, but I just don't think we would be daft enough not to get the offer in in plenty time.

Do you think Hibs are doing this as they haven't considered properly the contracts are ending, or that they are trying to second guess the player by offering a contract late? (Or some other reason)
    No. But have they went for it and taken a risk. Look at Ian Murray, he was injured for the majority of 2003/04. Were we offering him a deal then, or waiting till he got back fit? Same with McGeouch and Fyvie who had injury issues. Newall and Boyle have both got new deals despite recent issues. And especially with Murray, Porteous and Doig we've been right on top of it.

I don't think Hibs were doing something terribly wrong before, I'm just suggesting we're more proactive now. Maybe thats because we're in a good place to offer deals.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Irving hates the Hibs... not a chance he would come to us. I actually think he is decent but we are looking at levels above that now.
    So did David Gray and Jason Cummings.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    There’s clearly no interest either party but you’re making things up about the boy. I’ve shared a street with his family for 20 years, him and his younger brother delivered my papers. For Hearts fans (and indeed they are) you couldn’t meet nicer lads.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Hibs twitter hinting that he is about to sign the new contract

Looks like a new deal is imminent.

Excellent news.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

New deal until 2025 confirmed.

Superb stuff from Hibs. A great week all round.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Great news to tie down one of Scitlands most promising players. All good at the moment for Hibs.

Absolutely superb news!

This is tremendous news. Falling back in love with Hibs. Feel good factor returning.

@hibs.net private member
    Unbelievable business.

Great news, he has a great future ahead of him.