hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team v Hamilton

Team v Hamilton

Big game again on Saturday which gives us the opportunity to keep a gap of 4 points on Aberdeen with the added incentive of having a game in hand too.

For me a break came at the wrong time for us as we were building real momentum and putting in good performances and results.

Hamilton have came into form lately and will be right up for it and confident, which might suit us if they come out to attack as it will leave space for the likes of Boyle.

Big decisions re the squad.

Gogic and Irvine were taken off as precautions in the last game so you’d imagine they’d be fine by now as we had an extra week off. Newell will likely be back too, does he come straight back in?

Porteous and Nisbet have been benched lately, will the added time off have given them the opportunity to get back in the team and Ross’ plans.

Doidge hasn’t been scoring a lot at all but he has been performing well by his hold up play, being a menace and defensively.

Whatever Ross decides will be a big decision. If we lose you can guarantee people will be saying we should have done the opposite or played other players.

For me;

..........................Marciano................ ...

..........McGinn.....McGregor......Hanlon.......

Cadden........Irvine............Newell............ Doig....

..............................Murphy..........

...................Nisbet..............Boyle...... ..

For me we need our best players playing and Newell and Nisbet fall into this category for me. Gogic and Doidge have been good but for me this game suits the other 2 more and we need to show quality on the ball. Porteous is unlucky to miss out but again the defence was solid against Aberdeen and McGregor will be needed tomorrow.

Harsh on some I know.

Whatever team plays, let’s hope we get the win.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don't change a winning team. Keep the ball rolling.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Not sure I would be changing anything fitness permitting as Aberdeen was probably as dominant a performance we have put in this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Gogic and or Irvine are unavailable though assume we might have heard that was the case. The good thing if there was an injury is that you would assume Newell would be back and raring to play. Tough game but one we will win if we defend properly as we will create chances no doubt. Fancy Doidge to notch and would be a big boost to the team if he was then to go on a run of goals like last season.

Same team as the last game. Doesn't make sense to change it assuming everyone is fit. The gaffer tends to stay loyal to winning teams.

Only change I’d be tempted with would be to bring Nisbet in. We’ll get plenty chances and he’s the most likely to take them.

Think it’ll be the same team though, fitness permitting.

Of everyone is fit then it's as you were for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I would be changing anything fitness permitting as Aberdeen was probably as dominant a performance we have put in this season. Wouldn't be surprised if Gogic and or Irvine are unavailable though assume we might have heard that was the case. The good thing if there was an injury is that you would assume Newell would be back and raring to play. Tough game but one we will win if we defend properly as we will create chances no doubt. Fancy Doidge to notch and would be a big boost to the team if he was then to go on a run of goals like last season.
    I’m sure Gogic and Irvine were set to be available for RC last weekend so I’d like to think they’ll be ok for tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m sure Gogic and Irvine were set to be available for RC last weekend so I’d like to think they’ll be ok for tomorrow.
    They were both 50/50 for Ross County game so barring setbacks should be ok for tomorrow.

I would keep the same team.

Harsh on Porteous, Newell and Nisbet but these guys can come on and make a huge difference.

Barring injuries same team starts as Aberdeen game.

All being fit we will have some very good options off the bench with Allan, Newell, Nisbet and Porteous waiting for their chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Agree with everyone who says same team, the guys who have played the last few games deserve to keep their spots while they continue to perform at the same level.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Only change I’d be tempted with would be to bring Nisbet in. We’ll get plenty chances and he’s the most likely to take them.

Think it’ll be the same team though, fitness permitting.
    Problem is that I think that’d be harsh, Boyle is on an excellent run just now as a striker and he’s earned it. Not sure if Nisbet can do what Doidge does so it’s a big call for JR to make.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Barring injuries same team starts as Aberdeen game.

All being fit we will have some very good options off the bench with Allan, Newell, Nisbet and Porteous waiting for their chance!

It’s weird - for having a small squad we also, somehow, have excellent depth.

The amount of injuries, suspensions and call ups we had in the League cup group stages it’s a miracle we put out a team at all, let alone a winning one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

First Team Breakthrough
    Would go with same starting line up.If we’re serious about clinching 3rd spot we have to take 3 points against Hamilton.
    They’re usually very physical so we need beef that McGregor,Gogic and Doidge can supply.
    I’m probably looking at wrong sources but I’ve saw no news that Newell is fit again.
    If he is would start him on bench and give him game time in 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    It’s weird - for having a small squad we also, somehow, have excellent depth.

The amount of injuries, suspensions and call ups we had in the League cup group stages it’s a miracle we put out a team at all, let alone a winning one.
    The depth and quality will hopefully keep those in the starting 11 on their toes, knowing that someone may come in and take their place.

Crucial final quarter of season with a massive incentive should we finish 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    The depth and quality will hopefully keep those in the starting 11 on their toes, knowing that someone may come in and take their place.

Crucial final quarter of season with a massive incentive should we finish 3rd.

I'd imagine that it'd be a boost for the youngsters knowing that if a couple of first team players get suspended or injured that they may be able to get a place on the bench and from there the potential to show what they can do. The squad really is a good size just now. Young Shanley got his chance to make his debut and nearly scored, Gullan, although he's stalled, has made a few appearances and that can only be a good thing.

I think that if we'd not been potentially pushing for European football we may not have seen strengthen as much in the winter or indeed we may have accepted one or both bids for Porto and Nisbet, but that's just showing ambition going forward IMO.

Problem is that I think that’d be harsh, Boyle is on an excellent run just now as a striker and he’s earned it. Not sure if Nisbet can do what Doidge does so it’s a big call for JR to make.
    I wouldn’t complain if the team is unchanged to be fair. And I don’t think it will change if everyone is fit. I just think there must be a temptation to put Nisbet in for Doidge in this type of game from a goals perspective, with the number of chances you’d expect to get.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Don’t change a winning team.

Same team, you don't change if it's not broken, it would be a kick in the teeth to Gogic if Newell just strolled back into the team considering he's been playing well.

Same team. Nobody deserves to be dropped.

I'd imagine that it'd be a boost for the youngsters knowing that if a couple of first team players get suspended or injured that they may be able to get a place on the bench and from there the potential to show what they can do. The squad really is a good size just now. Young Shanley got his chance to make his debut and nearly scored, Gullan, although he's stalled, has made a few appearances and that can only be a good thing.

I think that if we'd not been potentially pushing for European football we may not have seen strengthen as much in the winter or indeed we may have accepted one or both bids for Porto and Nisbet, but that's just showing ambition going forward IMO.
    I also forgot to mention Magennis but he really needs a kick start as there is defo a player there.

Think you are correct regarding ambition and the money outlaid by RG. I’d also like us to try and keep Irvine as he’s made a big difference.

I think we will lose a few players in the Summer and hopefully we can finish 3rd and reach either the Europa or Conference League stages! This will bring in more income and allow us to invest moving forward.

What a bench we could have tomorrow, Scott Allan, Kevin Nisbet, Ryan Porteous, Kyle Magennis, Joe Newell, Lewis Stevenson as strong as I can remember,

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Would go with same starting line up.If we’re serious about clinching 3rd spot we have to take 3 points against Hamilton.
    They’re usually very physical so we need beef that McGregor,Gogic and Doidge can supply.
    I’m probably looking at wrong sources but I’ve saw no news that Newell is fit again.
    If he is would start him on bench and give him game time in 2nd half.
    Having watched Hamilton a number of times, they seem one of the least physical sides in the league. They have a few big guys at the back but other than that they are actually a neat football side. We’ve pumped them twice this year and no reason we shouldn’t be expecting to again (I know they got it back to 3-2 at home but we pummelled them barring a 5 minute collapse).

I’d have Newell in for Gogic if he is fit, with the rest the same if available.

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    What a bench we could have tomorrow, Scott Allan, Kevin Nisbet, Ryan Porteous, Kyle Magennis, Joe Newell, Lewis Stevenson as strong as I can remember,
    Shows we have a very good squad when everyone fit. Easily 3rd best in Scotland imo. Could maybe have a few more bodies but if you're looking at quality over quantity it's us.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Shows we have a very good squad when everyone fit. Easily 3rd best in Scotland imo. Could maybe have a few more bodies but if you're looking at quality over quantity it's us.
    Except it isn't if you are a run-of-the-mill Kickbacker

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Having watched Hamilton a number of times, they seem one of the least physical sides in the league. They have a few big guys at the back but other than that they are actually a neat football side. We’ve pumped them twice this year and no reason we shouldn’t be expecting to again (I know they got it back to 3-2 at home but we pummelled them barring a 5 minute collapse).

I was judging them from the last time they were at ER.Joe Newell tried to go toe to toe with some of their hardier laddies.It didn’t end well for Joe,as after being dumped a few times he had to go off injured.I’ve saw reports that Chipper likes them to play neat football,but no doubt they can mix it when they want to.
    I’ve now seen a report that Newell is fit and raring to go,but he is likely to start on the bench.
    On the question of another injured player who seems to have gone off the radar.Does anyone know what progress Sean Mackie is making ?

Irvine and Gogic both fit is excellent news.

Exciting times. Imagine we still had a final to come, so frustrating with that squad we should have been lifting a trophy. Still getting 3rd is huge, good platform to push on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post

The home 'pumping' was 3-2 and they missed a penalty! I wouldn't be surprised to see Porteous play a big part. We're likely to have a fair amount of possession & Ryan's probably going to be more productive on the ball than Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The home 'pumping' was 3-2 and they missed a penalty! I wouldn't be surprised to see Porteous play a big part. We're likely to have a fair amount of possession & Ryan's probably going to be more productive on the ball than Darren.
    It was a 3-2 pumping, it could’ve been about 8 before they scored 1. The point being we are a far better football team than them as shown twice this season and unless we switch off (which we did in the first game) we will hammer them again.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Same team for me.

Be interesting to see how the Sheep get on today. Anything short of matching our result and I’d suggest they’ll see themselves (the fans anyway) as out of the running for 3rd.