hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

@hibs.net private member
    Incredible to think what he’s been through medically. He says he’s not fit and needs games so why did Ross play him in the semi final?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Incredible to think what he’s been through medically. He says he’s not fit and needs games so why did Ross play him in the semi final?
    Because we were getting humped and he needs games.
    I'm sure JR would love to be giving him more minutes. Maybe it's down to how he's feeling on the day?
    No idea really

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    And yet is does say in the interview that a lot of players have went on to fulfill a long career after being diagnosed. Don't you believe the medical experts that have game him the green light to continue playing?
    Tbh my initial reaction was to be stunned that he was allowed to continue playing. I referenced it above but it's the same condition that Marc Vivien Foe and Miklos Feher were found to have had. It was also a variation of the same illness that forced Fabrice Muamba to retire.

Of course medical science advances all the time and all the incidents I've mentioned above happened several years ago now and all of them were diagnosed after the event. I think when the only exposure people may have had to cardiomyopathy in the past is of it being fatal or potentially so then it's natural there is curiosity. I don't think that's a bad thing either.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Makes me proud of Hibs this type of stuff. We really look after our players compared to other clubs.

And yet is does say in the interview that a lot of players have went on to fulfill a long career after being diagnosed. Don't you believe the medical experts that have game him the green light to continue playing?
    As I said in my message earlier elite sport is not generally recommended based on my experience. It may be that the regular medical screening is more readily available to him privately which isn’t available to most folk via NHS.

I think everyone is glad he is able to continue 👍

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    If that's his condition, I'm frankly surprised he's allowed to be back playing. There's a long history of this condition killing healthy players, dropping them in a second in the middle of a game/training session - it's unpredictable, and almost guaranteed to be fatal if he experiences a major event.

In most of those cases though, it was undiagnosed until after the fact - I hope there's a robust monitoring/treatment regime in process to help Scott during training and games since it HAS been caught.

Very brave and unfortunate young lad.
    I don’t know if you’ve watched the short clip on the Hibs website or the full length one on Sky but the interview with Luke Shanley he goes a bit deeper into how he’s able to continue playing.

Daily tests, regular heart checks and he’s spoken with other professional sportsmen who have been able to continue playing.

He also said his condition is relatively mild and not as sever as it could have been. I assume that was a factor in how he is able to continue playing.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    https://youtu.be/IURhRCKBZu8

Full 20 minute Sky interview here
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Superb stuff. What a man! Can't wait til he's back.

Have we really just filmed David Tanner asking questions then used the Sky Sports interviews answers? 😂

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Between this and the diabetes it really hasn't been easy for him. Fantastic that he's still able to play.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    He is a great player, he has a fantastic attitude to the medical setbacks he has had to cope with, AND he still manages to keep his hair looking gorgeous even in lockdown !!!!

“He’s lazy”
    “Got a bad attitude”
    “Doesn’t try hard enough”

Hopefully all these myths can be put to bed now.

I’ve banged this drum before but for him to get to the level he has he’s probably had to work 10x as hard as other players.

Absolutely inspirational guy IMO. I really hope he is looking to get into management after he’s finished playing football as imo he’s clearly made of the right stuff for it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    “He’s lazy”
    “Got a bad attitude”
    “Doesn’t try hard enough”

Hopefully all these myths can be put to bed now.

I’ve banged this drum before but for him to get to the level he has he’s probably had to work 10x as hard as other players.

Absolutely inspirational guy IMO. I really hope he is looking to get into management after he’s finished playing football as imo he’s clearly made of the right stuff for it.
    To be fair, these criticisms haven't been widespread at all on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think at times they have been, although I suppose how you define widespread would be a factor. Theres certainly been times I’ve argued with posters about it.

I know that cos I’ve got on my high horse a few times about it.

I also think it was a reputation he came to the club with, which clearly isn’t the fault of anybody on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    May have literally just been to give the squad and fans a boost amidst a terrible result

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

That's a remarkably candid interview and fair play to Scott for being so honest, it wouldn't have been easy. It's great to hear that this can be managed so he can continue playing and well done to the club for standing by him.

Just got round to watching the full version of Scott's interview on Sky. (Luke Shanley is great at his job).

Really can't speak highly enough of Scott's character, bravery, and resolve. The interview is so refreshingly candid, but also difficult, and rather emotional, which is to be expected given the subject matter.

He's clearly a very intelligent guy and always seems to take a philosophical approach to the challenges posed by his physical conditions. It takes a rare kind of person to deal with the obstacles he's faced, let alone to come out with a positive outlook on things, what an inspiration.

You're some man, Scott. 💚

Having known someone personally who died on a pitch from a heart condition which they were unaware of and played for years with it.

It is pleasing this was found and he can carry on.
    Cougars!!!

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Tbh my initial reaction was to be stunned that he was allowed to continue playing. I referenced it above but it's the same condition that Marc Vivien Foe and Miklos Feher were found to have had. It was also a variation of the same illness that forced Fabrice Muamba to retire.

Of course medical science advances all the time and all the incidents I've mentioned above happened several years ago now and all of them were diagnosed after the event. I think when the only exposure people may have had to cardiomyopathy in the past is of it being fatal or potentially so then it's natural there is curiosity. I don't think that's a bad thing either.
    It would have been my reaction too. However, after watching his interview there was no reason to be stunned. It all seemed fairly straightforward after listening to what Scott said in his interview that he has now got the green light to continue playing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how does this actual diagnosis of a heart problem tally with all the rumours and speculation that were going around on social media? It's a genuine question - I don't do Twitter, but people on here were saying it was being discussed a lot 'out there' by twitter experts... Did anyone actually know what was really going on, or was it all mince?

It would have been my reaction too. However, after watching his interview there was no reason to be stunned. It all seemed fairly straightforward after listening to what Scott said in his interview that he has now got the green light to continue playing.
    Definitely. My reaction was an instantaneous one before I watched the whole interview and read a bit more elsewhere.

That's why I'm glad this was reported on Hibs and Scott's terms. It allows things to be explained clearly and people with questions to be accommodated and able to understand. Commendable all round.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Wow that was a tear jerker. Proud of Scott and the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how does this actual diagnosis of a heart problem tally with all the rumours and speculation that were going around on social media? It's a genuine question - I don't do Twitter, but people on here were saying it was being discussed a lot 'out there' by twitter experts... Did anyone actually know what was really going on, or was it all mince?
    There was a lot of rumours on Twitter. I think some were fairly close to the mark whilst others were way off.

Very early on we made a decision to limit conversation about it on here because it was pretty clear Hibs and Scott wanted to control the narrative on this and that the disclosure of the truth was something Scott as an individual had the right to control the timing off. Having watched the interviews today I think we called it right.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Rumors I saw on doing a Google search was that it was a heart issue and his career was over.

@hibs.net private member
    There was a lot of rumours on Twitter. I think some were fairly close to the mark whilst others were way off.

Very early on we made a decision to limit conversation about it on here because it was pretty clear Hibs and Scott wanted to control the narrative on this and that the disclosure of the truth was something Scott as an individual had the right to control the timing off. Having watched the interviews today I think we called it right.
    that's helpful - thanks.

and yes, absolutely right to limit discussion of confidential medical issues on here (even among the legendary ITK posters.. (NB joke))

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    It goes to show we don't know what is going on in a players personal life and we never consider that there may be an issue when dishing out criticism of them if their performances are not up to scratch. Scott a fair bit of stick about his performance, not being fit enough to see out a full game etc a while back and now we see why.

Yep, that was the most common complaint abut him I saw last season, plus a few people questioning his commitment.

It just goes to show that we maybe judge players unfairly a lot more than we'd care to admit.

I'm glad his career's not over yet, but I think we maybe shouldn't expect too much from him this season.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I think the admins on the site should be commended for the way they controlled the story on here. Hibs and Scott clearly wanted a level of privacy and to control the narrative. Folk speculating about what was wrong wouldn't help that. So well done. And also well done to Hibs and Scott. Hope he is back soon as possible

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I think the admins on the site should be commended for the way they controlled the story on here. Hibs and Scott clearly wanted a level of privacy and to control the narrative. Folk speculating about what was wrong wouldn't help that. So well done. And also well done to Hibs and Scott. Hope he is back soon as possible
    I also have to say well done to David Tanner - he gets a lot of stick on here but the interview on social media was pitched perfectly in terms of tone and questioning.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Admins 100% called it right.

I knew it was a heart condition but I didn't know exactly what, I was told back in September that he wouldn't play again.

Was later told that insurance company was involved and retirement due to ill health was on the cards but it all took time.

More recently told that second opinions were being sought and then obviously he was back in the squad.

Not saying for a minute all of what I was told was correct and to be honest it doesn't matter a jot if it was right or wrong.

Important thing is Scott is back within touching distance to starting a game for Hibs, something a lot of people (including players) didn't think would happen.

The worst thing I have ever witnessed on a football pitch was Alen Orman at Easter Road years ago when I thought I was witnessing something tragic.

When it was announced that Scott was on his way back that was the first thing that sprang to my mind. However I am sure it wouldn't be allowed if he was in danger and we can look forward to his fantastic fight against the odds continue.

Pretty Boy, feel free to delete or edit this post if you deem necessary.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Admins 100% called it right.

I knew it was a heart condition but I didn't know exactly what, I was told back in September that he wouldn't play again.

Was later told that insurance company was involved and retirement due to ill health was on the cards but it all took time.

More recently told that second opinions were being sought and then obviously he was back in the squad.

Not saying for a minute all of what I was told was correct and to be honest it doesn't matter a jot if it was right or wrong.

Important thing is Scott is back within touching distance to starting a game for Hibs, something a lot of people (including players) didn't think would happen.

The worst thing I have ever witnessed on a football pitch was Alen Orman at Easter Road years ago when I thought I was witnessing something tragic.

When it was announced that Scott was on his way back that was the first thing that sprang to my mind. However I am sure it wouldn't be allowed if he was in danger and we can look forward to his fantastic fight against the odds continue.

Pretty Boy, feel free to delete or edit this post if you deem necessary.

Good post

I also do think there's a place for some of these things - the level of which is debateable - to be posted at the time.

For a player to disappear from the squad for several months without an awareness of "it's something very serious which club and player want to keep under wraps for just now" almost makes it more likely that someone will go in like a bull in a china shop and make comments like "always injured, get rid" without realising that it's a serious issue that's panning out. Knowing that Scott was going through a potentially career threatening issue forces people to keep it respectful and also allows admins to shut down speculation.

.net's handled it well, kudos.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I’m happy for him that he’s feeling great now. I wish supporters could have been there to welcome him back.