hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scott Allan

Number of times he got taken off early and the fans were up in arms. All makes sense now. Hadn't looked himself for a while. Scott is a magnificent footballer. More talent in his wee toe than most players could dream of. Keeping everything crossed for him that the worst is now behind him and he can get back to doing what he's good at at a place where he's loved.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Just skim read some posts. Being diabetic and doing exercise is pretty tough.As a diabetic Ive gone from 15 stones to 12 in a few years having a couple of seizures as a random consequence. Couch to 5k to half marathon in 2 years has been great for me but blood sugar management with the training is so difficult. Scotty is a hero. One of the most dynamic midfielders in Scottish football having to balance diabetes being an athlete is amazing. We are lucky to have him
    Last edited by JoeT; 19-02-2021 at 08:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just skim read some posts. Being diabetic and doing exercise is pretty tough. Ive gone from 15 stones to 12 in a few years having a couple of seizures as a random consequence. Couch to 5k to half marathon in 2 years has been great for me but blood sugar management with the training is so difficult. Scotty is a hero. One of the most dynamic midfielders in Scottish football having to balance diabetes being an athlete is amazing. We are lucky to have him
    Well done in your own personal battle fella and good luck going forward

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008

Quote Originally Posted by kentao View Post
    Love that "scrappy" goal.

Really pleased that Scotty's feeling good and hopefully will get a start soon. Can see him staying with us for a good few years and would be delighted if he did.

💚💚
    Last edited by 007; 02-03-2021 at 07:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Watching the video again, it looks to me as if Scott has bulked up a wee bit on his upper body.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Amazing fortitude from this young man facing adversity of the cards fate has dealt him.

I was some what shocked that screening isn’t already in place. (Moira Gordon’s article states he’s along a call for widespread screening.

I thought that whole point about learning the lessons from Molumbo and the young Hibs and Heart youths that died within days of each other ????!!!!!!

I could make other points but I didn’t want to dilute my shock. Relatively speaking There’s a lot of money in football is this not where some of the football money should go before almost everything else???
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    It goes to show we don't know what is going on in a players personal life and we never consider that there may be an issue when dishing out criticism of them if their performances are not up to scratch. Scott a fair bit of stick about his performance, not being fit enough to see out a full game etc a while back and now we see why.

what an amazing interview, i can wait to get back in the ground and cheer this laddie onto the pitch. welcome back scotty

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Comes across as a great guy and we all know what a great player he is. Hopefully he can get back to his best with us.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

I just wonder how much this medical condition has affected him prior to this season??? Clearly the 1st couple of months it truly came to a head when he felt that something was seriously wrong but I just wonder
    how often in the past he maybe felt drained in the latter stages of a game and didn`t realise it was something to do with this?
    He himself has said he feels so much better now,I wouldn`t be surprised if we actually see a stronger and actually fitter Scotty next season after a pre season working around the condition as opposed to
    all those pre seasons when they weren`t aware of it and probably put it down to just being out of condition?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rossevenil View Post
    I just wonder how much this medical condition has affected him prior to this season??? Clearly the 1st couple of months it truly came to a head when he felt that something was seriously wrong but I just wonder
    how often in the past he maybe felt drained in the latter stages of a game and didn`t realise it was something to do with this?
    He himself has said he feels so much better now,I wouldn`t be surprised if we actually see a stronger and actually fitter Scotty next season after a pre season working around the condition as opposed to
    all those pre seasons when they weren`t aware of it and probably put it down to just being out of condition?
    I think it must have to at least some extent, I don’t believe this condition has only arisen in the past 7 months or so. Just delighted for him that it has been diagnosed.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Watching the video again, it looks to me as if Scott has bulked up a wee bit on his upper body.
    Gogic in his pre match Hamilton interview says he has been doing a lot if work in the gym.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think it must have to at least some extent, I don’t believe this condition has only arisen in the past 7 months or so. Just delighted for him that it has been diagnosed.
    He was often taken off far from the end if the game.Probabky explains why.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Editorial from the Hootsman

Hibs' Scott Allan plays the kind of football we all like - and we need him back
    The football fan likes the player to “get” his club, to perform in such a way as to be emblematic of a style and a tradition. That is more difficult in the modern game when no one stays with the same team forever or for very long at all, but Scott Allan and Hibs seem to go together.
    By Aidan Smith
    Sunday, 21st February 2021, 7:30 am

Three displays might sum this up: the match against Rangers in his first spell, 4-0, with all the goals created by him. The match at Ibrox beginning his second spell, playing like he’d never been away, pulling all the strings, another victory. And the match at Ibrox in his third spell, conjuring up the “pass of the millennium” for Daryl Horgan’s goal. That was very Hibs, raving about an assist when your team had been leathered 6-1, and there was a lot of teasing from Rangers supporters, from many clubs in fact.

But fans from all over have been warm in their wishes for Allan to make a full recovery from his heart condition and get back to playing his best. He spoke well to Sky’s Luke Shanley when describing his anxiety - but not his out-and-out fear - over whether he would ever pull on his boots and craft another of those killer reverse passes. I wasn’t surprised by that, remembering how smart he’d been in a long interview - not something all players like - back in 2017 when he was on loan from Celtic at Dundee.

Pondering his status in the Scottish game he said: “Hearts fans probably don’t like me because I played for Hibs. Hibs fans probably don’t like me because I left. Rangers fans probably don’t like me because I went to Celtic. I started at Dundee United but their fans probably don’t like me because I’m now at Dundee. Celtic fans know that when I was a wee boy my favourite team were Rangers and that’s probably a good enough reason for Aberdeen fans to not like me. It’s a shambles!”

All of this, by the way, was presented with that fetching smile of his; he wasn’t remotely feeling sorry for himself. Same as now. He suffers from a condition that has turned out to be career-ending for some footballers, life-ending for others, but he is determined to beat it.

Hibs fans have forgiven Allan for leaving and now that he’s back they couldn’t love him more. The tradition he’s continuing is that of the old-school inside-forward: Bobby Johnstone then Alex Cropley then Russell Latapy and now Allan.

But beyond Easter Road that’s also a Scottish tradition: the guy in the middle of the park, never tall but big in ideas, with dancing feet to go with the bold, adventurous mind. In that interview four years ago he told me: “When I play I want folk to go: ‘I saw something out there today. That’s the kind of football I like.’” The kind we all like. It’s cheering he has had his condition identified and a procedure for keeping it in check established. Hopefully his full return will coincide with our full return for Allan needs an audience if he’s going to top THAT PASS.
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/sport...m-back-3141457

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Still the best midfielder I've seen at Hibs bar McGinn.

Out in the open now then....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56259500

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Still the best midfielder I've seen at Hibs bar McGinn.
    Latapy would be in there ahead of Allan for me but other than that I’d agree. He’s produced some ridiculous moments of genius.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Latapy would be in there ahead of Allan for me but other than that I’d agree. He’s produced some ridiculous moments of genius.
    Cropley, Edwards and Stanton would be joined by Latapy in the best midfielders I have seen in the flesh.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 02-03-2021 at 08:23 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Treatment depends on the severity J. I have family members who have it and one quite severe. Beta blockers a can be used to manage the heart rate but other than regular monitoring there is not really any other major treatments (yet). I’m surprised he is still playing if I’m honest as even in its mildest form, elite sport is not recommended.
    I was diagnosed with Hypertophic Cardiomyopathy about ten years ago. I had to go into to hospital to have Septal Ablation of the heart. This is a procedure which thins out the thickened muscle and allows the heart to function more normally. In my case this proved to be a success although I am on Beta-Blockers for life.

I think you can have varying degrees of severity of the condition and if Scott Allan is allowed to continue playing his case might not be too serious which would be good news. Hopefully we will see him back playing at his best soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    I was diagnosed with Hypertophic Cardiomyopathy about ten years ago. I had to go into to hospital to have Septal Ablation of the heart. This is a procedure which thins out the thickened muscle and allows the heart to function more normally. In my case this proved to be a success although I am on Beta-Blockers for life.

I think you can have varying degrees of severity of the condition and if Scott Allan is allowed to continue playing his case might not be too serious which would be good news. Hopefully we will see him back playing at his best soon.
    Scott said on Sportsound tonight he has a mild case of it, Daley Blind at Ajax has a worse case of it and has a monitor inside him for it.
    Very good interview about how he’s feeling, what he’s gone through, how difficult it is just now when he can’t get games in and how fit he’s now feeling in terms of numbers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Zemmama was better than Allan

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Close one, Zemmama was a quality wee player as well. Perhaps on his day Zemmama was shades better but I don't think he was as consistent as many remember he was either.

Scott may edge it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Close one, Zemmama was a quality wee player as well. Perhaps on his day Zemmama was shades better but I don't think he was as consistent as many remember he was either.

Scott may edge it for me
    I watched a lot of old videos not so long ago, think it was on Hibs TV, from around 2006, 2007.

There were games that I don’t even remember and some of the play from Zemamma and Benji was absolutely outstanding. Definitely wasn’t consistent but when he (and Benji as well) wanted to play they could be unplayable. Some proper quality goals between them.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Cropley, Edwards and Stanton would be joined by Latapy in the best midfielders I have seen in the flesh.
    Le God as well, he came to us as a midfielder.....

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Nope, loved Zemmama but Scotty wins that one.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Don’t be silly.