hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,404

    Leeds United v Hibs 67/68

    For anyone interested there's a newspaper cutting on ebay under the title of "1967-68 inter-cities fair cup Leeds United v Hibernians news paper cli" If you zoom the clipping you can read the full report. Sorry I couldn't get a link to work (not sure if anyone on here could do the honours) and it is a report about us playing Leeds not our Maltese friends!

    Im presuming its from the Leeds local rag as it has that local bias in the report.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Ginger goal machine nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,519
    Logan, McGregor, Hanlon (Gunnarsson 83), Fontaine (Henderson 70), Gray, Fyvie, McGeouch, McGinn, Stevenson, Stokes, Cummings (Keatings 65)

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers mate

    There a few versions of this on ebay it would seem, same report though from what I can make out.

    I'm guessing from that report any Hibs fans present that night might care to differ.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,474
    The fellah selling this is a serious Leeds United collector. I bought a pricey Leeds v Hibs 1953 floodlights opening programme from him. When I picked it up he showed me some of his collection, quite incredible.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers mate

    There a few versions of this on ebay it would seem, same report though from what I can make out.

    I'm guessing from that report any Hibs fans present that night might care to differ.
    I was there. The winning goal involved some dodgy free kick given because Willie Wilson took too many steps with ball in hand or something. Anyway the accursed Jack Charlton scored.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    12,984
    My first game at Easter Road

    Pretty sure Willie Wilson was impeded in his run by Peter Lorimer

    Gary Sprake in the Leeds United goal had been taking more than 4 steps the whole game

    There was always only going to be be star of the show Referee Clive Thomas

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first game at Easter Road

    Pretty sure Willie Wilson was impeded in his run by Peter Lorimer

    Gary Sprake in the Leeds United goal had been taking more than 4 steps the whole game

    There was always only going to be be star of the show Referee Clive Thomas
    My dad who was a referee was shouting about Sprake from early doors. My father thought it was strange allowing a referee from the English league to referee the game I know that Clive Thomas was Welsh.

  9. #8
    Was there at 9 year old and only really recall the real anger from my Dad and uncles after the ref gave that free kick. And I can then pretty clearly see Jack Charltons head under the floodlights popping it in and the uproar that ensued.

    Much later in life learned of that attention seeking **** Clive Thomas being pals with the Leeds players and obviously wanted to be one of the first to use the ridiculous new 4 steps rule.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first game at Easter Road

    Pretty sure Willie Wilson was impeded in his run by Peter Lorimer

    Gary Sprake in the Leeds United goal had been taking more than 4 steps the whole game

    There was always only going to be be star of the show Referee Clive Thomas
    Spot on Billy. Willie was blatantly impeded and stumbled. Think it was this game and the first leg that got Leeds the abbreviation DLU.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there. The winning goal involved some dodgy free kick given because Willie Wilson took too many steps with ball in hand or something. Anyway the accursed Jack Charlton scored.
    Wilson was the first keeper to be punished for the 4 steps rule (probably the only one)this led to Charlton scoring to make it 1 1 on the night,2 1 to leeds on aggregate, i was at elland road for first leg and believe me leeds never deserved to win it.Stein sent off for nowt and a cracking goal disallowed for Hibs.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    LEITH NO MORE
    Posts
    5,976
    A good few years back I was over in Dublin staying at Juryís hotel and having a drink in the hotel bar and Jack Charlton comes up to the bar beside me to order a drink . We got into a conversation and he told me he was over to do a supermarket opening which was good pocket money for him after his spell as the National team manager.

    I told him I was a big Hibby and asked if he remember that game at Easter Road. He remembered it very well, the early Hibs goal and the strange award of an indirect free kick at the end when he scored.

    I said I thought we had been robbed that night and he , being the gent he was, said he agreed.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,404

  14. #13
    In the next round Leeds played Rangers then Dundee in the Semi. I am sure there were battles at the Leeds v Rangers game.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The back of beyond
    Posts
    5,873
    It's was the first and only time I saw a keeper penalised for taking 5 steps. Hibs were great that night and you only have to look at the Leeds line up to appreciate how good the performance was.
    I can remember joining the queue for the terracing outside the Albion Bar!

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's was the first and only time I saw a keeper penalised for taking 5 steps. Hibs were great that night and you only have to look at the Leeds line up to appreciate how good the performance was.
    I can remember joining the queue for the terracing outside the Albion Bar!
    I joined the queue for the North Enclosure at the end of Norton Park school changed days now.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    38,366
    Scotlands finest club v Englands finest club

  18. #17
    That's both the old firm and both Dundee teams and Hibs been in the Semi final or better in European Cup & UEFA (Fairs cup). Hearts once again let Edinburgh down.

  19. #18
    I was there that night.
    Clive Thomas was arrogant always had to be centre of attention. The Hibs' players were angry at his appointment as he continually joked with all the Leeds players calling by their first name. Thomas was the ref that disallowed a Brazil goal in the World Cup by blowing when the ball was in the air at a corner.
    Alan McGraw told me that he had been delegated by the manager to mark Charlton at corners. Charlton used to stand in front of goalkeepers and put them off but Alan had him in his back pocket all night.
    When the indirect free-kick was awarded, there was understandable confusion and he went into the wall leaving someone else to mark big Jack.
    What annoyed everyone was that Peter Lorimer fouled Willie Wilson as he was about to kick the ball causing him to take the extra step but even worse, Gary Sprake had forgotten about the recently adopted 4-step rule and had regularly taken 9-10 steps holding the ball but Thomas had ignored that.
    I later read Thomas's book and he recalled the game. Before hand he had been given a guided tour of Edinburgh by a Hibs' director. In the High Street he admired a tartan rug in a shop window and told the director that he was going to buy it for his wife. The Hibs director told him that the club would get him one. He's still waiting ha ha

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The back of beyond
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's both the old firm and both Dundee teams and Hibs been in the Semi final or better in European Cup & UEFA (Fairs cup). Hearts once again let Edinburgh down.
    Ah but, donít forget the Texaco.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah but, donít forget the Texaco.
    Sorry forgot about that huge competition. 😁😁😁😁

  22. #21
    Was humiliating enough for them whilst I was at secondary school when we totally dominated them in derbies, played regularly at Hampden, actually won silverware, came 2nd and 3rd in the league - but the fact we played Leeds, Liverpool, Sporting, Juventus etc whilst they were in something called the Texaco Cup really was the hilarious icing on the cake. Think there was more winding up about that than anything else.

  23. #22
    Testimonial Due hibby6270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leith, Edinburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's both the old firm and both Dundee teams and Hibs been in the Semi final or better in European Cup & UEFA (Fairs cup). Hearts once again let Edinburgh down.
    Letís not forget Aberdeen, Kilmarnock & Dunfermline have also made it to a European Semi.
    But, as you say, more importantly, the Jambos have still to reach those dizzy heights!

  24. #23
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry forgot about that huge competition. ��������
    Well, I remember going through to Airdrie with some other Hibs fans to see the first leg of the 1972 final v Derby. 16,000 crowd in Broomfield (I checked) and a great atmosphere.

    0-0 draw and they lost the second leg but it gave Airdrie something to shout about.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)