hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. I don’t think I could restrain myself if I had 11 grown men screaming in my face like spoilt bairns.

Like Calum has mentioned there needs to be a system in place like there is in rugby, where refs address captains only who enforce their players. It shouldn’t be incumbent on the referee to have to deal with that. What I like in rugby is that when there’s a bit of handbags they let it take its course, watch what happens then punish them after the event. None of this whistle tooting pish we get. It then becomes the teams responsibility to self police before it gets out of hand.

I think the TMO they have in rugby is the reason they are able to do it so effectively. There are lessons to be learned there. Why have a centralised system like they do in England when there’s a fourth official and tv cameras at every ground anyway?
    Rugby has everything right as regards the referee at the elite level. The referee is in total control of the game and their version of VAR, TMO works very efficiently. The referee is miked up so you can hear his discussion with the TMO and the decision and that entertains supporters and makes them feel included. Him being miked up also ensures the players mind their language when they speak to him. My only caveat is that American Football and Rugby Union are very stop start and that lends itself to VAR better than football does which is all but continuous.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-02-2021 at 11:15 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Sin bin for all yellow card offences in football would be a good start. Also 10 yards punishment would be a step forward also.
    Nah, can you imagine being 1-0 up at home to Celtc or Rangers with 10 to go...we'd be getting yellow cards for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.
    If referees took that approach, within a fortnight they would be getting pilloried from all and sundry for over reacting, losing control, no feel for the match, it’s a mans game etc and fans of every club would reckon their team is being picked on. No win situation for referees and what it needs is the players to learn some self discipline. Well remember getting a mouthful from a player and I gave it back both barrels, his first reaction was to throw a petted lip and said ‘you can’t talk to me like that!’ Wee scone !

Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.
    Better still, arm refs and linesmen with stun guns and tasers

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Good on the ref, some players are absolute liberty takers on the pitch.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Nah, can you imagine being 1-0 up at home to Celtc or Rangers with 10 to go...we'd be getting yellow cards for everything!
    Your not suggesting there is a West Coast bias in the refereeing fraternity,😁😁😁😁😁😁
    Something like this could be implemented for a tournament like the league Cup to test out if it would work.

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Sin bin for all yellow card offences in football would be a good start. Also 10 yards punishment would be a step forward also.
    Well - technically 10 steps back

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    He did pick on a small player though Wonder if he would have reacted the same it it was one of the lumps.
    He’s a RAF sergeant outside of football so I don’t think he would have been too bothered who they were 😅

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Didn’t they trial moving free kicks forward for dissent previously?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Yeah, but Willie Miller vetoed it. He'd have been playing half his games in the middle of the North Sea.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Yeah, but Willie Miller vetoed it. He'd have been playing half his games in the middle of the North Sea.
    Made me laugh.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Yes seem to recall this I think it was down south.

Didn't see too much in it tbh.

Pierluigi Collina was revered for that sort of thing.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’d propose the idea of referees wearing body cams with retrospective action taken for dissent, foul language and general **** hoosery in the same way they do for diving.

They did but the glaring problem was the team in receipt of the free kick couldn't refuse it. There was a Man Utd game where a FK was moved from 30 yards out to right on the edge of the box. Beckham tried to refuse as he wanted more space to get it up and down but the ref insisted he take it from the advanced position.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I’d propose the idea of referees wearing body cams with retrospective action taken for dissent, foul language and general **** hoosery in the same way they do for diving.
    Suggested this years ago on the Jim Traynor phone in Laughed of by Jabba A small camera at eye level would soon clear up the refs view of any incident. Technology exists but will never be introduced in Scotland...

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was that not a Tony Higgins joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    He’s a RAF sergeant outside of football so I don’t think he would have been too bothered who they were 😅
    but has he done the 5 miler of death (those in the know will know)

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was quite surprised watching the rugby last weekend that a few Welsh players seemed to mouth off at the ref on a couple of occasions. It was something I had never really seen in rugby before. I wonder if it's a case of them getting closer to football rather than us going in the right direction.

The ref in question can't act like that but referees take a lot of horrendous abuse and it's a wonder more don't lose it from time to time. The top level guys are obviously well compensated for what they do but you see guys in public parks getting £40 having parents and players calling them all sorts. There used to be a Greek guy refereed in Edinburgh, he maybe still does. He was an awful ref but some of the abuse he took was shameful, grown men telling him to **** off back to his own country whilst he was reffing their kids games. If he had smacked someone in the jaw I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

On the flip side I think refs could help themselves by showing a bit more respect towards players as well. In rugby refs will explain their decisions or give fair warning that if the same offence keeps happening they will penalise it. In football a lot of refs treat players like schoolchildren. 'I've made my decision and I don't have to explain myself to anyone.'
    in large areas of Wales rugby is what football is elsewhere and the Welsh treatment of refs is like football but it’s also creeping in with other teams.

that being said one of the Welsh players has just finished a ban for back chatting the ref.

the refs mics need to be on to everyone can hear them explain their decisions. I think a few players mum would get a bit embarrassed bu some of their boys to.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was quite surprised watching the rugby last weekend that a few Welsh players seemed to mouth off at the ref on a couple of occasions. It was something I had never really seen in rugby before. I wonder if it's a case of them getting closer to football rather than us going in the right direction.

The ref in question can't act like that but referees take a lot of horrendous abuse and it's a wonder more don't lose it from time to time. The top level guys are obviously well compensated for what they do but you see guys in public parks getting £40 having parents and players calling them all sorts. There used to be a Greek guy refereed in Edinburgh, he maybe still does. He was an awful ref but some of the abuse he took was shameful, grown men telling him to **** off back to his own country whilst he was reffing their kids games. If he had smacked someone in the jaw I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

On the flip side I think refs could help themselves by showing a bit more respect towards players as well. In rugby refs will explain their decisions or give fair warning that if the same offence keeps happening they will penalise it. In football a lot of refs treat players like schoolchildren. 'I've made my decision and I don't have to explain myself to anyone.'
    Rugby is certainly much more competitive especially now being professional and all teams will put pressure to some degree however agree Wales last week especially just after half time were definitely putting the pressure on the ref. Much more obvious of course when no crowd present.