hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Darren Drysdale ref

I notice that the FA have charged the ref for getting in the face of an Ipswich player. Tiny Wharton would have been charged most weeks. What a bunch of snowflakes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Poor behaviour from the ref but what I hope this brings to light is player behaviour towards referees. We need to get to a system where only a captain talks with the ref. It’s becoming a problem here but I hate when you see an entire team abroad crowding round a referee to influence his decision.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I have a lot of sympathy for the ref here. Momentary loss of composure but didn’t lash out in any way.

Agree that players need to behave themselves better.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often. It says a lot about our refs that it hasn't.

IIRC, a few years ago Stuart Dougal (?) got into bother for having the audacity to swear at a player. Heaven forfend

Noticed quite a few prominent players in the epl coming outnin support of the referee

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Seems fair enough to me. You cannae have a referee acting like that. If football doesn't want players to act like that, then those officiating the games have to lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Poor behaviour from the ref but what I hope this brings to light is player behaviour towards referees. We need to get to a system where only a captain talks with the ref. It’s becoming a problem here but I hate when you see an entire team abroad crowding round a referee to influence his decision.
    I agree, refs are only human, players need to respect refs, we can learn a lot of lessons from Rugby.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Seems fair enough to me. You cannae have a referee acting like that. If football doesn't want players to act like that, then those officiating the games have to lead by example.

Looked to me like he just stood his ground more than anything.

Fergie's teams were the worst offenders.

Alex Ferguson used to encourage his players to crowd the ref and harass them. You now see that more and more and I'm convinced other managers give out the same advice.

That's what they need to clamp down on, not one Ref getting p1ssed off and momentarily losing his composure.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Looked to me like he just stood his ground more than anything.
    Not really. The player stops and the ref steps into him, and puts his head down into the players face. If players do it, then the ref has the right to book them. Refs can't be above the rules.

I'm all for change, if they can stop teams crowding the refs then good, but that change doesn't start by the refs acting like the players do now.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often. It says a lot about our refs that it hasn't.

IIRC, a few years ago Stuart Dougal (?) got into bother for having the audacity to swear at a player. Heaven forfend
    Told Christian Nerlinger to **** off I believe.

17 years ago believe it or not!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

That's what they need to clamp down on, not one Ref getting p1ssed off and momentarily losing his composure.
    They're two different issues, and both should be addressed.

@hibs.net private member
    Actually, is this not the current rule.... Refs just don't enforce it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Fergie's teams were the worst offenders.
    Chelsea were top of the league when it came to harassing referees.

It was deliberate and orchestrated.

Liverpool used to be terrible too. How Mascherano wasn't banned sine die for his behaviour is a mystery.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The ref shouldn't have responded in the way he did. However, if the players and footballing authorities want exemplary behaviour from the refs then they need to ensure that they are treated respectfully.

Rugby sets a good example to football on this one. I would much prefer this part of our footballing culture changed, it's pretty horrible to see petulant player histrionics.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Actually, is this not the current rule.... Refs just don't enforce it.
    I think it is a maximum of 3 players.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. I don’t think I could restrain myself if I had 11 grown men screaming in my face like spoilt bairns.

Like Calum has mentioned there needs to be a system in place like there is in rugby, where refs address captains only who enforce their players. It shouldn’t be incumbent on the referee to have to deal with that. What I like in rugby is that when there’s a bit of handbags they let it take its course, watch what happens then punish them after the event. None of this whistle tooting pish we get. It then becomes the teams responsibility to self police before it gets out of hand.

I think the TMO they have in rugby is the reason they are able to do it so effectively. There are lessons to be learned there. Why have a centralised system like they do in England when there’s a fourth official and tv cameras at every ground anyway?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Paul Lambert is making himself look a bit foolish with his comments on it as well
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Paul Lambert is making himself look a bit foolish with his comments on it as well
    He’s coming across a right bel end

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The players need to take responsibility for their role in that, but ultimately the ref is in control of his own actions and should have known better. He has the tools to deal with confrontation with his cards rather than getting drawn into squaring up to the player. I do have sympathy for him though, would be pretty instinctive if you've got someone in your face like that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I think rugby refs get more respect because they have more powers to wield. In football the ref can yellow or red card a player or manager showing decent. In rugby he can reverse a penalty decision and award it the other way if the dissenting player is on the side that was awarded the penalty. If a player dissents when the opposition team have a penalty he can move that penalty 10 yards further down the pitch. He can sin bin players. Rugby refs in the pro games get video playback so their decisions are often more respected by players because he has had a 2nd look. When your team gets punished for your dissent it becomes a less common thing, it's like a sergeant major, punishing everyone apart from the culprit because they know the culprit is going to get it tight from their fellow squaddies. There is also the cultural aspect which is less prevalent nowadays given the wide range of backgrounds players come from, but originally the refs were schoolmasters who were to be respected no matter what.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Deflection tactics given his own precarious position.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    After viewing the clip my first thoughts were good on him - I’d like to see more of this from the refs to be honest. Adds a bit of extra spice to the proceedings

Wide refs in

I was quite surprised watching the rugby last weekend that a few Welsh players seemed to mouth off at the ref on a couple of occasions. It was something I had never really seen in rugby before. I wonder if it's a case of them getting closer to football rather than us going in the right direction.

The ref in question can't act like that but referees take a lot of horrendous abuse and it's a wonder more don't lose it from time to time. The top level guys are obviously well compensated for what they do but you see guys in public parks getting £40 having parents and players calling them all sorts. There used to be a Greek guy refereed in Edinburgh, he maybe still does. He was an awful ref but some of the abuse he took was shameful, grown men telling him to **** off back to his own country whilst he was reffing their kids games. If he had smacked someone in the jaw I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

On the flip side I think refs could help themselves by showing a bit more respect towards players as well. In rugby refs will explain their decisions or give fair warning that if the same offence keeps happening they will penalise it. In football a lot of refs treat players like schoolchildren. 'I've made my decision and I don't have to explain myself to anyone.'

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I have a lot of sympathy for the ref here. Momentary loss of composure but didn’t lash out in any way.

Agree that players need to behave themselves better.
    He did pick on a small player though Wonder if he would have reacted the same it it was one of the lumps.

Yeah, he is putting the boot in. Does him no credit whatsoever and probably takes away any sympathy folk have for his own current treatment by the Ipswich fans.
    A great and classy player is turning into a poor and classless manager.
    All very Lennony deflection.

In comparison the player involved, Alan Judge, has been very classy in his comments.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.
    I've never understood why they don't. As you say it would quickly stop.
    It's bad practice to allow players to try to influence decisions by what is essentially intimidation and sets a bad example to kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I think rugby refs get more respect because they have more powers to wield. In football the ref can yellow or red card a player or manager showing decent. In rugby he can reverse a penalty decision and award it the other way if the dissenting player is on the side that was awarded the penalty. If a player dissents when the opposition team have a penalty he can move that penalty 10 yards further down the pitch. He can sin bin players. Rugby refs in the pro games get video playback so their decisions are often more respected by players because he has had a 2nd look. When your team gets punished for your dissent it becomes a less common thing, it's like a sergeant major, punishing everyone apart from the culprit because they know the culprit is going to get it tight from their fellow squaddies. There is also the cultural aspect which is less prevalent nowadays given the wide range of backgrounds players come from, but originally the refs were schoolmasters who were to be respected no matter what.
    Sin bin for all yellow card offences in football would be a good start. Also 10 yards punishment would be a step forward also.